[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, win32 said:

What is your update level? The addition of a custom ntoskrnl has/will make the flexibility of updating considerably lower than in the past, which means you will only be able to use the updates that correspond to the ntoskrnl/winload that I've made. So right now it's just April 2017 or March 2019, and soon it will be just March 2019.

btw i updated using WU and it broke my boot, did the updates reset the no integrity checks or something?

1 hour ago, burd said:

btw i updated using WU and it broke my boot, did the updates reset the no integrity checks or something?

They shouldn't have messed with the boot options, though they may have overwritten ci.dll and especially ntoskrnl.exe, which is now quite important.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

They shouldn't have messed with the boot options, though they may have overwritten ci.dll and especially ntoskrnl.exe, which is now quite important.

seems to be ntoskrnl, size difference was noticable and permissions had been overwritten. Also i had to boot with disable driver signature enforcement so it definitely reset nointergrity, even so the updates just wont go through and keep reverting :(

Edited by burd

15 hours ago, win32 said:

What is your update level? The addition of a custom ntoskrnl has/will make the flexibility of updating considerably lower than in the past, which means you will only be able to use the updates that correspond to the ntoskrnl/winload that I've made. So right now it's just April 2017 or March 2019, and soon it will be just March 2019.

idk what the update level is. i just installed the updates included in vista/vienna extended kernel pack... i would need the link to updates i dont have. as windows update doesnt work for me at all

On 3/13/2021 at 12:47 AM, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

attempted to install the latest extended kernel release and now windows boot manager fails...

file:hal.dll

-------------------------

it exists and isnt corrupt as using the older extended kernel osloader files worked. but idk why windows wont boot.

I'm having the same issue right here... Right now im reverting to a restore point before the kernel extension. I installed every single update WU offered + MSE and Silverlight.

Yep, i also can't boot Vista with the new ntoskrnl. I replaced the file fron the MEGA folder used for 2008 updates.

I finally found the issue, even though i routed cmd to the folder, where the installation files are located, it didn't replace the files.

No wonder it can't boot if the files are missing. :D after moving the files manually, everything works nicely again.

Edited by GTAGAME

I guess this is common knowledge by now but it's a good idea to install all windows updates before setting up extended kernel.

I installed a few updates after getting the kernel and it completely broke my system... (It was ci.dll that got replaced I'm just not sure which update did it in)

On the plus side, I now have the opportunity to install the server 2008 updates which I didn't install before and which looks like will be important for later versions of extended kernel. ;)

k just got vista to boot. had to use startup repair tho.

how do i get it to the latest update level.

also i got steam working again.

and i want to use the discord or Lightcord Clients. afaik the lightcord setup needs ResolveLocaleName of kernel32.dll and the discord executable requires K32EnumProcessModules of the same DLL

how do i know what the update level is at...
i cant use windows update as it fails. (code 80072EFE) even on a fresh install of windows

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

i tried to install the extended kernel again. this time i made a restore point and unfortunately. hal.dll same error code... cant boot. idk why.(yes i installed more updates)

There are only two acceptable update levels, and two separate filesets for each; April 2017 (which is the standard for the update distribution), or March 2019 (which needs different variants of ntoskrnl and winload (exe/efi) that are not currently incorporated into the installer, though they will be with the next version); the latter is the SHA-2 update point. This was done to placate some applications that reportedly requested the presence of the SHA-2 update.

30 minutes ago, win32 said:

There are only two acceptable update levels, and two separate filesets for each; April 2017 (which is the standard for the update distribution), or March 2019 (which needs different variants of ntoskrnl and winload (exe/efi) that are not currently incorporated into the installer, though they will be with the next version); the latter is the SHA-2 update point. This was done to placate some applications that reportedly requested the presence of the SHA-2 update.

webroot secure anywhere requires the SHA-2 updates, so yes i do have that.
and startup repair replaced hal.dll with the Stock Windows Vista SP2 one. will that hinder the extended kernel at all?

1 hour ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

and startup repair replaced hal.dll with the Stock Windows Vista SP2 one. will that hinder the extended kernel at all?

Yes it would, though if you have the SHA-2 update, I would assume that it would have cached a 6003.20xxx HAL (which would be acceptable as I haven't released a HAL mod) instead of a 6002.18005 one.

On 3/21/2021 at 7:48 PM, win32 said:

Yes it would, though if you have the SHA-2 update, I would assume that it would have cached a 6003.20xxx HAL (which would be acceptable as I haven't released a HAL mod) instead of a 6002.18005 one.

oh. does the extended kernel support lightcord at least? it would be great to have a proper discord client that at least works with vista. even if it isnt official. i will get to working on my main PCs copy of vista later. I'm doing my Dell XPS Studio M1640 which runs Windows Vista Home Premium.

yes that means im going to figure out what may have broken my Main PC's copy of vista... but not right now