[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

11 minutes ago, SevralT said:

Ok, now I need to use older version?

I am working on patching a newer version of winload.exe/efi and seeing if that will work better.

But for now, yes, either the previous extended kernel version, or the latest extended kernel version with updates from 2017 or 18.

Those with newer updates can use the new extended kernel with the ntoskrnl that has been uploaded to the folder. The vanilla ntoskrnl can still be used for now, since the patched code integrity module still does the heavy lifting for unblocking ntdll modding.

Hi, I have 64-bit Windows Vista in vmware, and when I copy the finished files using the Windows Vista CD in system32, the death screen pops up. What should I do?

xpcom.png

error.png

4 hours ago, mohsad said:

Hi, I have 64-bit Windows Vista in vmware, and when I copy the finished files using the Windows Vista CD in system32, the death screen pops up. What should I do?

xpcom.png

error.png

it looks like we have similar errors... as seen in my Post above...

5 hours ago, win32 said:

Please disregard what I said about updates, I thought you were referring to BSODs by "death screen". Are you running x86 or x64 Firefox?

Both firefox x86 and x64

5 hours ago, win32 said:

Please disregard what I said about updates, I thought you were referring to BSODs by "death screen". Are you running x86 or x64 Firefox?

But when I do that, the BSOD goes up

bsod.png

bsod2.png

19 hours ago, win32 said:

Those with newer updates can use the new extended kernel with the ntoskrnl that has been uploaded to the folder. The vanilla ntoskrnl can still be used for now, since the patched code integrity module still does the heavy lifting for unblocking ntdll modding.

I can confirm your updated winload and ntoskrnl files are indeed working and palemoon.exe is showing os and subsystem as 6.1 yet it still opens, well done.

image.thumb.png.d5c4231c59f5771ce596cb08d69eda1a.png

Edited by burd

4 hours ago, THK2003 said:

I got  a BSOD after installing the february 2021 update

1709183321_WindowsVistaExtendedKernel-2021-03-02-10-25-28.png.95f6f37fb20ecc0a83f0f53e2995963e.png

after my virtual machine restarts, Windows cannot boot with your patched winload.exe

First error indicates that ci.dll didn't get updated; second indicates that something happened to winload that shouldn't have (that error can appear if the header checksum isn't set properly, though i did do that). nointegritychecks attribute must be set to yes in the bcd store for the Vista boot volume.

8 hours ago, mohsad said:

But when I do that, the BSOD goes up

Then, in that case then update level is important.

As for Edge, it appears you obtained an x86 version. The x64 version does not work presently due to increased reliance on newer security/crypto APIs.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

First error indicates that ci.dll didn't get updated; second indicates that something happened to winload that shouldn't have (that error can appear if the header checksum isn't set properly, though i did do that). nointegritychecks attribute must be set to yes in the bcd store for the Vista boot volume.

Then, in that case then update level is important.

As for Edge, it appears you obtained an x86 version. The x64 version does not work presently due to increased reliance on newer security/crypto APIs.

I Updated the header checksum on winload.exe and now it works