[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

2 hours ago, Vistafand said:

is it possible to incorporate an uxtheme patch into this

Yes, my custom uxtheme is patchable. Indeed I believe that the one I've included has been patched.

11 hours ago, win32 said:

Yes, my custom uxtheme is patchable. Indeed I believe that the one I've included has been patched.

I tried a custom theme and it didnt work, the version of extended kernel is 12/31/2020

It appears that the modified winloads and ntoskrnl are not happy with newer versions of the HAL/win32k/etc. The modifications are relatively minor, so it wouldn't be difficult to rebase off newer versions of such, though I am quite concerned about the performance hit associated with newer Windows binaries since late 2017.

21 minutes ago, win32 said:

It appears that the modified winloads and ntoskrnl are not happy with newer versions of the HAL/win32k/etc. The modifications are relatively minor, so it wouldn't be difficult to rebase off newer versions of such, though I am quite concerned about the performance hit associated with newer Windows binaries since late 2017.

whats in the latest setup, something new?

2 minutes ago, burd said:

whats in the latest setup, something new?

ntext is deprecated in favour of ntdll, so no modification of executables is necessary to run Firefox/Waterfox.

This required patched versions of winload, ntoskrnl, and ci.dll. This makes Vista as a whole easier to modify, but also reduces forward compatibility of the extended kernel (for now).

Edited by win32

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

ntext is deprecated in favour of ntdll, so no modification of executables is necessary to run Firefox/Waterfox.

This required patched versions of winload, ntoskrnl, and ci.dll. This makes Vista as a whole easier to modify, but also reduces forward compatibility of the extended kernel (for now).

ok then ill have a go at it. thanks.

10 minutes ago, win32 said:

Im getting the same error as before i.e 0xc0000098, and as such it wont boot.

Lol I just found out that Extended Kernel is  mentioned in the official Windows Vista Wikipedia page (at least the German page). It basically says that an unofficial kernel was released to Vista in August 2020 that adds Win7 SP1 APIs to Vista, allowing modern Firefox/Chrome to run.

Vista.png

1 hour ago, yoltboy01 said:

Lol I just found out that Extended Kernel is  mentioned in the official Windows Vista Wikipedia page (at least the German page). It basically says that an unofficial kernel was released to Vista in August 2020 that adds Win7 SP1 APIs to Vista, allowing modern Firefox/Chrome to run.

Vista.png

checked the english wiki nothing there.