[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

18 hours ago, Dixel said:

If you you're so afraid to get infected by evil viruses , just use mallwarebytes 3.5.1 .

You gave the same advice earlier in this thread. Are you recommending Malwarebytes Free (with no real-time protection) or Premium (with real-time protection that does not perform very well in testing by independent labs)? Of course 3.5.1 supported vanilla Vista and is nearly 3 years old. Is there no hope of using current versions of Malwarebytes for Windows 7 and above with extended kernel?

To his credit, winvispixp sought advice before selecting an antivirus to use with extended kernel, but unfortunately not much good advice was available. If I understood correctly, Kaspersky didn’t crash until after “latest kernel32 x86” was added in an effort to fix WMP, but perhaps winvispixp could clarify that.

15 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

You gave the same advice earlier in this thread. Are you recommending Malwarebytes Free (with no real-time protection) or Premium (with real-time protection that does not perform very well in testing by independent labs)? Of course 3.5.1 supported vanilla Vista and is nearly 3 years old. Is there no hope of using current versions of Malwarebytes for Windows 7 and above with extended kernel?

To his credit, winvispixp sought advice before selecting an antivirus to use with extended kernel, but unfortunately not much good advice was available. If I understood correctly, Kaspersky didn’t crash until after “latest kernel32 x86” was added in an effort to fix WMP, but perhaps winvispixp could clarify that.

I'm not even sure what you were trying to say . I do not know what to answer, since the choice is obviously his (free or not). I was going to ignore , but suddenly I felt like that KGB programme doesn't raise any flags to you too. Excuse me if I'm wrong, in advance . I mean KGB programmes shouldn't be used at all , even if there are no other alternatives, period. Except for the KGB officers themselves (I guess) , but something tells me even they do not use goods/stuff manufactured in Russia. As for my advice , I already gave it elsewhere (where it was appropriate) . 

Other (non-KGB) programmes work absolutely fine with this kernel, so not disturbing win32 would be a brilliant idea. And I won't go off-topic because I respect win32 and his marvellous work. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/07/23/kaspersky-lab-has-kgb-ties

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/kaspersky-controversy-us-intelligence-heads-warn-not-trust-russian-security-company-kgb-trained

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Kaspersky

https://thenewamerican.com/trump-boots-putin-s-kgb-tech-guru-kaspersky-out-of-fedgov-computers/

Edited by Dixel
added links about Kaspersky's ties to KGB

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, in advance .

Consider yourself excused. I do not use or endorse Kaspersky products, least of all their free version that has never been submitted for testing by independent labs AFAIK. (However their paid products always get very high protection scores, which is more than can be said for Malwarebytes Premium.)

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

Other (non-KGB) programmes work absolutely fine with this kernel, so not disturbing win32 would be a brilliant idea. And I won't go off-topic because I respect win32 and his marvellous work.

Aside from a legacy version of Malwarebytes that worked fine on vanilla Vista, what other non-KGB programs are you referring to? It’s great that recent versions of Chrome and Firefox can be made to work, and I’m sure they have considerable security advantages over the legacy versions that supported Vista; but security software is another major category in which vanilla Vista has been left out in the cold. With the exception of Microsoft’s latest Windows Defender (which is reportedly quite effective), every antivirus in the world continues to support Windows 7.

14 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Consider yourself excused. I do not use or endorse Kaspersky products, least of all their free version that has never been submitted for testing by independent labs AFAIK. (However their paid products always get very high protection scores, which is more than can be said for Malwarebytes Premium.)

Aside from a legacy version of Malwarebytes that worked fine on vanilla Vista, what other non-KGB programs are you referring to? It’s great that recent versions of Chrome and Firefox can be made to work, and I’m sure they have considerable security advantages over the legacy versions that supported Vista; but security software is another major category in which vanilla Vista has been left out in the cold. With the exception of Microsoft’s latest Windows Defender (which is reportedly quite effective), every antivirus in the world continues to support Windows 7.

1 - I shan't discuss anything about "performance" of any KGB related software since I've clearly made my point, besides we don't know who's behind those "labs". 

2 - Please discuss "antivirus" programmes and make their comparison in the appropriate topic. (not here, obviously)

2 - Newest programmes that work with Vista's ex-kernel by @win32 . Just to name a few :

Chromium , Opera , Centbrowser , Chrome , Firefox and it's forks , Chromium Ungoogled , I've also read about TOR ( though I haven't tried it myself, but it should work too, since it's based on Firefox) , newest FFMPEG , 4K Stogram , Grids (quite popular desktop versions of instagram) , Aiseesoft Screen Recorder , Minecraft , Scrap Mechanic , Cemu , plenty of modern games that use Mono engine, quite a few of modern DX11 titles that use Unity.

Again , I really don't understand what you were trying to say . It sounds like you're not satisfied with this jaw-breaking progress regarding the ex-kernel. And why did you even mention Win7 ? This topic is about Vista , for true Vista lovers. And no, our ship "is not sinking" . Are you trying to devalue win32's work ?

It's just fabulous ! He's just fabulous ! We all should be grateful ! 

Perhaps you (yourself) can help him with the work ? 

Edited by Dixel
fixed a typo

@Dixel I understand that you will never ever use software made by KGB and that's your opinion 

Even if I switch to another AV, isn't something wrong with that dll that made kaspersky crash? Maybe there are programs that won't work with the modifications added by the new dll. Who knows? 

On 1/27/2021 at 8:41 AM, Dixel said:

As for my advice , I already gave it elsewhere (where it was appropriate)

You could just respond to my topic where I asked what's the best AV for vista with the extended kernel and not make a whole war here

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

Chrome

How did you get it running? I couldn't make it work and I really want to use chrome instead of firefox

3 hours ago, winvispixp said:

@Dixel I understand that you will never ever use software made by KGB and that's your opinion 

Even if I switch to another AV, isn't something wrong with that dll that made kaspersky crash? Maybe there are programs that won't work with the modifications added by the new dll. Who knows? 

You could just respond to my topic where I asked what's the best AV for vista with the extended kernel and not make a whole war here

How did you get it running? I couldn't make it work and I really want to use chrome instead of firefox

I tried it (the .dll) and I didn't experience any crashes , thanks again , win32 . Though, I agree that personal experiences may vary (different hardware) . I'm running quite ancient hardware (by the modern day standards). One PC is with some old Quad Xeon (circa 2009-2010) and another with one of the first Haswells. 

I already told you and the others : Kaspersky crashes are it's "normal" behaviour , you can search and read it yourself , so we can't be sure whether the dll is faulty or not . As for me , I trust win32 and his experience and I see the dll is working fine. All I'm trying to say , test the DLL with NORMAL software , not that KGB "something" .

I'm not sure with what to respond to your topic, since I already suggested mallwarebytes or the brain.exe.

About chrome , for me it's just running without any mods with this kernel , there are a lot of folks here that use it too. If firefox works for you , chrome should work too. But you need 64 bit version . Make sure you are running chrome x64.

Edited by Dixel
The King Of Typos made a typo again.

10 hours ago, Dixel said:

And why did you even mention Win7?  This topic is about Vista, for true Vista lovers.

I was under the impression that this topic is about using software that requires Win7 or above on Vista with the aid of win32’s extended kernel. It has become clear to me that you are not particularly interested in security software, and therefore see no reason why others wouldn’t be content with a legacy version of Malwarebytes. Personally, I am not very interested in gaming, but I would never presume to declare all discussion of PC games as being OT in someone else’s thread. :thumbdown

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I was under the impression that this topic is about using software that requires Win7 or above on Vista with the aid of win32’s extended kernel. It has become clear to me that you are not particularly interested in security software, and therefore see no reason why others wouldn’t be content with a legacy version of Malwarebytes. Personally, I am not very interested in gaming, but I would never presume to declare all discussion of PC games as being OT in someone else’s thread. :thumbdown

Here , lemme hep you with the topics , don't thank me , just enjoy.

"Software compatible with Windows Vista Extended Kernel". By WinClient5270,

July 19, 2020 in Windows Vista

https://msfn.org/board/topic/181696-software-compatible-with-windows-vista-extended-kernel/page/

"Best windows vista anti-virus". By winvispixp,

January 14, 2021 in Windows Vista

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182285-best-windows-vista-anti-virus/

Refusing to use KGB software doesn't necessarily mean one is not interested in security . On the contrary.

And here are no reports about non-KGB software "crashes" with this Kernel. Only Kaspersky has this problem.