[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

9 hours ago, win32 said:

I made an experimental version of ntoskrnl that is unable to change the key, but it isn't the one that is in the folder IIRC, as I found the registry key to have little effect on the system. I thought it had more of an impact on the OS then, but now it doesn't seem that way.

The idea to change the version numbers in ntoskrnl came from 2000/XP, where it is more substantial.

ah ok. Speaking of XP. i need the Nvidia Gefore GTX 1060 drivers for XP 64-bit. and a updated set for vista. has anyone tried modding the latest driver for vista and maybe some older one for XP64-bit? as for the usb 3.0 driver. XP 64-bit gets one for my board. but NO DRIVERS on the MSI Site for Vista(most the drivers for 7 do.but the USB 3 and ethernet ones dont) so if anything helps the board is a MSI Z77a-g43 and the GTX1060 is a Gigabyte AORUS card

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016
I did this from my Windows 7 Thinkpad X200 Tablet. i need modded drivers for XP64-bit edition and Vista On my Main

1 hour ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

ah ok. Speaking of them. i need the Nvidia Gefore GTX 1060 drivers for XP 64-bit. and a updated set for vista. has anyone tried modding the latest driver for vista and maybe some older one for XP64-bit? as for the usb 3.0 driver. XP 64-bit gets one for my board. but NO DRIVERS on the MSI Site for Vista(most the drivers for 7 do.but the USB 3 and ethernet ones dont) so if anything helps the board is a MSI Z77a-g43 and the GTX1060 is a Gigabyte AORUS card

I don't believe such drivers for XP exist, and my initial driver-based attempts to mod for Vista failed. I will try to see if it likes DX 11.1 binaries better than 11.0 ones, but that might take awhile to realize.

For USB3, try this:

12 hours ago, win32 said:

I don't believe such drivers for XP exist, and my initial driver-based attempts to mod for Vista failed. I will try to see if it likes DX 11.1 binaries better than 11.0 ones, but that might take awhile to realize.

For USB3, try this:

i did that driver. i thought it wasnt working at the time due to "pci device" having the errored icon. but it turns out it is working. i should have checked before i mentioned USB3. how about the ethernet?

oh btw i want to change my vista start button but cant. i want to change it because the start button photobombs my CTRL+ALT+PRNTSCRN window screenshots

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

4 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

i did that driver. i thought it wasnt working at the time due to "pci device" having the errored icon. but it turns out it is working. i should have checked before i mentioned USB3. how about the ethernet?

Realtek 8111E, apparently. But the sources I've seen apparently put the last Vista driver package in 2009, while they continued to make Windows 2000 drivers afterwards. I'd expect XP x64 drivers to be backward compatible on Vista:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-Gigabit-Ethernet-Driver-5786-for-2K-XP.shtml

1 hour ago, win32 said:

Realtek 8111E, apparently. But the sources I've seen apparently put the last Vista driver package in 2009, while they continued to make Windows 2000 drivers afterwards. I'd expect XP x64 drivers to be backward compatible on Vista:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-Gigabit-Ethernet-Driver-5786-for-2K-XP.shtml

well when i ran the installer it gave an error

and when i manually used the inf in device manager. it saw it as nothing

12 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

well when i ran the installer it gave an error

and when i manually used the inf in device manager. it saw it as nothing

Indeed, the thing about 2000 getting drivers after Vista was too strange to be true. I found some Vista drivers that support 8111 series:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-RTL8168-8111-LAN-Driver-61913052007-for-Vista64.shtml#download

10 minutes ago, win32 said:

Indeed, the thing about 2000 getting drivers after Vista was too strange to be true. I found some Vista drivers that support 8111 series:

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-RTL8168-8111-LAN-Driver-61913052007-for-Vista64.shtml#download

i wonder how difficult it is to rewrite or modify drivers for use on XPx64 and Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody else's windows media player behave weirdly? Mine doesn't want to play any mp3 file but mp4 videos work just fine (I have the k lite mega pack codecs installed)

image.thumb.png.2fe283b2a6b771ccded889d45e4cf23d.png

Also the sidebar sometimes won't start but after a restart it's back again and I have this annoying white thing around the calendar gadget which disappears if I switch it to display just the day (this alters after restarts like if I switch it to display the day, now it's fine but after a restart it will have the white thing around and so on) Capture.JPG.08a7b0332236313b735bb92bc90e13e4.JPG

1 hour ago, winvispixp said:

Does anybody else's windows media player behave weirdly? Mine doesn't want to play any mp3 file but mp4 videos work just fine (I have the k lite mega pack codecs installed)

Also the sidebar sometimes won't start but after a restart it's back again and I have this annoying white thing around the calendar gadget which disappears if I switch it to display just the day (this alters after restarts like if I switch it to display the day, now it's fine but after a restart it will have the white thing around and so on) Capture.JPG.08a7b0332236313b735bb92bc90e13e4.JPG

Yes, I have noticed both bugs. The WMP one should have been fixed with the latest kernel32 x86 (or by using the x64 WMP, as Vista defaults to the x86 one).

The second one is because of an IE9 rendering issue.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

No, put it in syswow64

ok... after 2 restarts (because of the sidebar bug) kaspesky crashes

WMP is still not working, but how can I make the x64 one the default ?

edit: I got the dll from the "x86 files" folder, is this the correct one, isn't it?

Edited by winvispixp

8 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

ok... after 2 restarts (because of the sidebar bug) the little EN (indicating the keyboard layout) is randomly flickering and kaspesky crashes

I see the first thing happening whenever windows are opened. Not sure why that happens since explorer is x64 and everything running under it should be.

Which version of Kaspersky would that be?

kaspersky was made by a known KGB officer , doesn't this bother you ? Well, read the experts , besides it has nothing to do with the ex-kernel itself, the programme is glitchy as hell , you can use translate and read articles by ordinary russian users that encountered those similar problems. If you you're so afraid to get infected by evil viruses , just use mallwarebytes 3.5.1 .

"My firm is recommending that our customers, who largely are financial companies, uninstall Kaspersky AV."

— Dave Aitel, Immunity Inc.