[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 12/29/2020 at 8:16 AM, win32 said:

That is intentional on VB's part. Around versions 4.1.30/4.2/4.3 they implementing something called "hardening" which checks the digital signatures of certain system files. I tried signing my files, but the cert chain terminated "too early" for VB.

So try these newer builds with hardening removed:

https://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=49006&start=2160#17

I downloaded and installed VirtualBox(No hardering) 5.2/6.0/6.1 on Windows Vista, create VM and starting........ Error.

Снимок.PNG

There is a new extended kernel version released. Development was hindered greatly by the struggle to make new x86 shell32 functions well, function. ntdll is the source of that discontent and the secret may lie in either the Server 2003 version or even one from a later Vista build.

Most x86 programs rely on the shell32 functions, which means that there will not be much in the way of new x86 programs working aside from what has been shown already. However, SetThreadErrorMode has been stabilized on x86 and WMP 11 x86 (the default WMP on Vista x64 as well) is working again (x64 version continued to work anyway).

TryAcquireSRWLockShared is implemented on both Vista x86 and x64; there were several programs I'm aware of asking for it.

9 hours ago, win32 said:

There is a new extended kernel version released. Development was hindered greatly by the struggle to make new x86 shell32 functions well, function. ntdll is the source of that discontent and the secret may lie in either the Server 2003 version or even one from a later Vista build.

Most x86 programs rely on the shell32 functions, which means that there will not be much in the way of new x86 programs working aside from what has been shown already. However, SetThreadErrorMode has been stabilized on x86 and WMP 11 x86 (the default WMP on Vista x64 as well) is working again (x64 version continued to work anyway).

TryAcquireSRWLockShared is implemented on both Vista x86 and x64; there were several programs I'm aware of asking for it.

Download and replace all files from folder, or only kernel32 and shell32?

11 hours ago, win32 said:

so which actual files have been updated? i see theres a kernel32 from 31st which i already got

The installer has been added and files have been updated in the same Mega folder as usual. kernel32 is updated both on x64 and x86, as is new x86 wrappers, ntext and ntk32.dll.

I thought I had done it last night, but it seems that I somehow distracted myself enough from actually uploading it. <_<

Edited by win32

40 minutes ago, win32 said:

The installer has been added and files have been updated in the same Mega folder as usual. kernel32 is updated both on x64 and x86, as is new x86 wrappers, ntext and ntk32.dll.

I thought I had done it last night, but it seems that I somehow distracted myself enough from actually uploading it. <_<

how can we actually test if its working? the installer seems to have older kernel32 files (atleast according to date)

32 minutes ago, burd said:

how can we actually test if its working? the installer seems to have older kernel32 files (atleast according to date)

vistaexkernsetup_12312020.7z you mean? This has the latest kernel32/wrapper files.

46 minutes ago, gerona12 said:

I replaced ExKernel with a new version and uTorrent, Adobe Reader stopped running.

Try uTorrent 2.2.1 or qBittorrent.

I don't use any PDF readers, as every modern browser has one built in, and even Microsoft Office can work as one