[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I have gotten Cemu to at least start. but when i launch a game. it either closes entirely, or shows an error. as for steam. i cant get to the library(well i cant even get it to open. it just gets stuck at login. and vmware Workstation 15 (from my Windows 7 Partition) opens and doesnt allow me to continue because the product key prompt.

did i miss anything from previous pages? i am using the extended kernel. and i edited the cemu executable.

Screenshot000000.JPG

error0.png

11 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

I have gotten Cemu to at least start. but when i launch a game. it either closes entirely, or shows an error. as for steam. i cant get to the library(well i cant even get it to open. it just gets stuck at login. and vmware Workstation 15 (from my Windows 7 Partition) opens and doesnt allow me to continue because the product key prompt.

For cemu, press "cancel" on the error dialog and show me what appears. I wonder if it may use DX 11.1/2 features? Steam issues depend on the version you're using, and you need to get the VMware registry keys from HKLM\Software and HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node into the Vista registry. It may still not work.

Edited by win32

Just now, win32 said:

For cemu, press "cancel" on the error dialog and show me what appears. Steam issues depend on the version you're using, and you need to get the VMware registry keys from HKLM\Software and HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node into the Vista registry. It may still not work.

well when i click debug nothing happens. and vmware is installed on 7's partition as i couldnt get the installer to work

and steam is one of the archived builds

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016
forgot details

Just now, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

well when i click debug nothing happens

OK, I thought it would show the normal Windows crash dialog as it does often for me. Try running the program through Dependency Walker and show me the logs then.

On 12/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, win32 said:

OK, I thought it would show the normal Windows crash dialog as it does often for me. Try running the program through Dependency Walker and show me the logs then.

i will go ahead and stream it to YT. as i have yet to manage to get discord to work

(it will be a unlisted stream) this is a temp steam as i just started this

https://youtu.be/9jVn7JUCQoI

On 12/29/2020 at 7:43 PM, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

i will go ahead and stream it to YT. as i have yet to manage to get discord to work

i will

On 12/29/2020 at 7:43 PM, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

imma just record it... OBS isnt working right

discord is another option though

You're using Vulkan? Only NVIDIA drivers on Vista support it, and only up to version 1.0.8 before they dropped Vista support.

6 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

7 minutes ago, win32 said:

You're using Vulkan? Only NVIDIA drivers on Vista support it, and only up to version 1.0.8 before they dropped Vista support.

this machine has a GTX1060 and OpenGL just straight up has random crash styles

as seen in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUV5UkaTUOY&feature=youtu.be

i forgot to mention i usually use openGL

forgot 1 thing

2 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

this machine has a GTX1060 and OpenGL just straight up has random crash styles

as seen in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUV5UkaTUOY&feature=youtu.be

That may be a deficiency of the specific driver. And there really aren't any options for GTX 1060 users. But that should change once ntoskrnl extension begins.

But I also need to make some serious progress in x86 land, which is needed to get the Discord desktop app working. Because of some apparent WOW64 limitation, the method of implementing shell32 functions seems to be really difficult yet necessary.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, win32 said:

But I also need to make some serious progress in x86 land, which is needed to get the Discord desktop app working. Because of some apparent WOW64 limitation, the method of implementing shell32 functions seems to be really difficult yet necessary.

(my nvidia driver version is 368.81 i just checked)

I found that user32 functions are also required (app-0.0.308)

i backed up my executable to show what dll would be next. after shell32. as for 0.0.309 it just does a Discord has Stopped Working dialog.

errordiscorduser32.png

i just got this to happen... it closed after it finished compiling.
EDIT. When disabled some graphics packs the log file increased in size and i can confirm. it actually CAN see the GPU.

i had to use pastebin to put the log up for view. maybe you can look at it and tell me what would be a great fix.https://pastebin.com/nWzSak9S

the cemu devs will also have the log

also the second image is of before i edited the entry point in the cemu.exe imports directory

screenshot.JPG

errorcemuentrypoint.png

error recreated by removing shell32 function from imports directory.

0xc000001d (illegal instruction) crash. Interesting. I get that when calling export-forwarded functions in my wrappers, but it also indicates an attempt to use a CPU instruction not implemented in that particular CPU. But you have a 3770K, which seems to have good CPU instruction support aside from perhaps AVX2 (interestingly introduced in Haswell to non-Pentium/Celeron CPUs).

Perhaps it may have something to do with Vista not having proper AVX support?

1 hour ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

maybe you can look at it and tell me what would be a great fix.https://pastebin.com/nWzSak9S

Edited by win32

56 minutes ago, win32 said:

0xc000001d (illegal instruction) crash. Interesting. I get that when calling export-forwarded functions in my wrappers, but it also indicates an attempt to use a CPU instruction not implemented in that particular CPU. But you have a 3770K, which seems to have good CPU instruction support aside from perhaps AVX2 (interestingly introduced in Haswell to non-Pentium/Celeron CPUs).

Perhaps it may have something to do with Vista not having proper AVX support?

cemu was working perfectly fine on 7. so it may be vista not supporting it or the other thing(my mistake maybe).

i think it has to do to me removing the "try" from the TryAcquireSRWLockShared

as the kernel32.dll i have (may not be the latest one of the extended kernel) has a similar function.

and yes i replaced system files(i couldnt figure out the .exe.local thing).

(sorry for the late reply i was afk)

16 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

as the kernel32.dll i have (may not be the latest one of the extended kernel) has a similar function.

AcquireSRWLockShared and TryAcquireSRWLockShared are quite similar (as they take the same parameter), but they are different in operation. I am going to add the latter in the next update anyway. Though I still believe that AVX is the culprit.

12 minutes ago, win32 said:

AcquireSRWLockShared and TryAcquireSRWLockShared are quite similar (as they take the same parameter), but they are different in operation. I am going to add the latter in the next update anyway. Though I still believe that AVX is the culprit.

oh. i guess that's why cemu started but cant do anything... i tried using 7's kernel32.dll before(ended in a temporary Vista boot loop as i kept a backup and deleted the 7 dll and put the Vista extended kernel's DLL back. as for AVX. im basically using the last generation i7 that officially supports vista. i might install a different edition of vista(business to be exact) as this machine has Vista home premium rn. with 32GB of ram.

as for steam. what archive are you using i tried the 2018 one.

55 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

as for steam. what archive are you using i tried the 2018 one.

You can get newer versions of Steam working, but without the browser because of it being based on modern 32 bit Chromium.

@win32 I tried an old version, still reboots :blink:

I hope it has nothing to do with it being UEFI GPT, it doesn't even BSOD, it just reboots right before the OS loads, which is when the GPU loads too (NVIDIA) , if I use the iGPU it gives me an 0x00000F4 BSOD.

Edited by ilwalaihr