[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

4 hours ago, GabrielRodino said:

I have verified that VirtualBox stops working when the Extended Kernel is installed. (Again I go back to the old original Vista.)  T o T

That is intentional on VB's part. Around versions 4.1.30/4.2/4.3 they implementing something called "hardening" which checks the digital signatures of certain system files. I tried signing my files, but the cert chain terminated "too early" for VB.

So try these newer builds with hardening removed:

https://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=49006&start=2160#17

15 hours ago, win32 said:

I don't believe so, as it seems to have something to do with extensions disabling by default and refusing to update.

Use older versions , like 80 or 81 , maybe even 82 (not sure about this one though) , they don't disable extensions by default . I'm wondering what changed between those and the newer ones. By the way , any luck on adding  ResolveLocaleName ? If you remember about that weird bug with locales (Streets of Rage 4) , well I've found out that the game calls for it too. 

I have a question regarding me getting Microsoft Edge 87 to work. However, I'm getting this constant error that says the following: "The procedure entry point SspiEncodeAuthIdentityAsStrings could not be located in the dynamic link library secur32.dll". I've been trying to redirect it without any progress. So I think that secur32.dll needs to be patched. The screenshot of the error has been provided. Is it possible that you could assist me through this?

P.S. The extended kernel has been installed. And i'm working with @WinNeptune on this project.

vmware_0Xoe1rkak8.png

On 12/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, jns629 said:

how did you extract the files?

You just install it on a secondary machine. Locate it in the program files and you're done

3 hours ago, imadonsocial said:

However, I'm getting this constant error that says the following: "The procedure entry point SspiEncodeAuthIdentityAsStrings could not be located in the dynamic link library secur32.dll". I've been trying to redirect it without any progress. So I think that secur32.dll needs to be patched. The screenshot of the error has been provided. Is it possible that you could assist me through this?

I tried adding those functions, which are actually forwarded from secur32 to sspicli.dll, the latter of which is a completely new DLL from Windows 7. Not much success thus far with launching Edge.

I tried to install the new Extended Kernel from November on my Haswell PC with the April 2017 update, using the .bat file, after rebooting, it gives me a fast BSOD (telling me USER32.dll was not found, c0000135) just before the logo animation happens.

Did I do anything wrong?

Forgot to mention that before rebooting the OS literally breaks, and I'm not able to even run apps with admin privileges since they give me a Filesystem error.

Edited by ilwalaihr

39 minutes ago, ilwalaihr said:

I tried to install the new Extended Kernel from November on my Haswell PC with the April 2017 update, using the .bat file, after rebooting, it gives me a fast BSOD (telling me USER32.dll was not found, c0000135) just before the logo animation happens.

Did I do anything wrong?

No, though it seems that experiences have been mixed with the installer. Even if not giving it admin privileges things should be fine, as it wouldn't even be able to manipulate any files in that case.

It is possible that this may be related to the Haswell+ timing issues, as it is possible that some of the commands issued by the installer failed.

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

No, though it seems that experiences have been mixed with the installer. Even if not giving it admin privileges things should be fine, as it wouldn't even be able to manipulate any files in that case.

It is possible that this may be related to the Haswell+ timing issues, as it is possible that some of the commands issued by the installer failed.

It actually gives me some errors during the installation.

Should I try to copy the files without the installer? Thankfully I have a restore point.

Edited by ilwalaihr

1 minute ago, ilwalaihr said:

It actually gives me some errors during the installation.

Should I try to copy the files without the installer? Thankfully I have a restore point.

Yes, if the installer has problems executing then yes. I do know that I had a hard time loading the services MMC snap-in and task manager among others on a Kaby Lake system.

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes, if the installer has problems executing then yes. I do know that I had a hard time loading the services MMC snap-in and task manager among others on a Kaby Lake system.

If I log off after installing, the OS just logs on to a black screen and I'm not able to open anything due to "missing dll".

The installer basically seems to not find the dll files after copying them to the System files I think.

Edited by ilwalaihr

7 minutes ago, ilwalaihr said:

If I log off after installing, the OS just logs on to a black screen and I'm not able to open anything due to "missing dll".

The installer basically seems to not find the dll files after copying them to the System files I think.

Another outstanding issue in terms of file location is the difference between a system with UAC enabled and disabled; the former will set the current directory to %winroot%\system32 by default, while the latter does not insist on changing the current directory. I had thought by adding cd /D "%~dp0" that I resolved this discrepancy, which I have tested on Vista installs with both UAC enabled and disabled.

If I hadn't set the CD, then the system files would've been renamed (or the installer would purposely fail due to lack of ntext if it's not there) with new ones not being copied because they would no longer be present.

Edited by win32

9 minutes ago, win32 said:

Another outstanding issue in terms of file location is the difference between a system with UAC enabled and disabled; the former will set the current directory to %winroot%\system32 by default, while the latter does not insist on changing the current directory. I had thought by adding cd /D "%~dp0" that I resolved this discrepancy, which I have tested on Vista installs with both UAC enabled and disabled.

If I hadn't set the CD, then the system files would've been renamed (or the installer would purposely fail due to lack of ntext if it's not there) with new ones not being copied because they would no longer be present.

I tried to copy the ddl files on the "vistaexkernsetup_11222020" folder and the OS keeps rebooting before logging in.

So this kernel isn't Haswell ready it seems?

Edited by ilwalaihr

Just now, ilwalaihr said:

I tried to copy the ddl files on the "vistaexkernsetup_11222020" folder and the OS keeps rebooting before logging in?

So this kernel isn't Haswell ready it seems?

I am pretty sure that it has been working on Haswell before, and the functions are largely based on those from recent Windows 7/8.1 updates.

:dubbio:

8 minutes ago, win32 said:

I am pretty sure that it has been working on Haswell before, and the functions are largely based on those from recent Windows 7/8.1 updates.

:dubbio:

It's an i5 4460s, do I need to copy anything else than the dll files?

There are other files on the "finished files" folder.

I still have a copy of an older version, maybe I should try it?

Edited by ilwalaihr

19 minutes ago, ilwalaihr said:

It's an i5 4460s, do I need to copy anything else than the dll files?

You only need to copy what is provided with the installer.

20 minutes ago, ilwalaihr said:

I still have a copy of an older version, maybe I should try it?

Yes, try it and see what happens.