[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

On 12/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

I actually don't. Just got the feeling of that from your previous post.

I wonder now, if microsoft changed some behavior to resemble xp if haswell is running okay on both xp and 7 but not on vista.

Whoa ! A feeling ? It seems it's only our first communication with you . I just asked you to specify your CPU model (which kinda makes sense for everyone here) and wrote that I don't have all of your issues with my CPU model . Which is obvious , because of another processor. And you got "a feeling" ?! You know , it may be better if we won't interact at all , so your feelings won't get touched / hurt , esp. considering your hostile behaviour against other user/users , for those who are wondering , just scroll back . And now back to the topic . I have some news . I removed almost everything from Vista RTM with Vlite , even more than I removed earlier , tested again on Intel Pentium G3470 (Haswell Refresh)  . Only basic services were left in the ISO . Of course I removed defender too . Everything regarding remoting , readyboost , indexing .

And guess what ? Almost zero cases of that bug . Right now I'm rebooting the machine over and over again , and the bug is like only 7% of the time. I disabled HPET in the BIOS too ! Also , I've noticed that if you want this bug to occur more frequently , you can start by disabling services with system configuration . But if you leave your system configuration in "normal startup" mode , the bug will happen only in some rarest cases. Overall , the system is very fast and stable . All drivers intact.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:34 AM, Tonny52 said:

So after installing all the updates manually it now BSOD's on start without any patches with a STOP error about CSRSS isn't secure anymore. 

Try using local redirection method , described here earlier, just scroll back. It's bulletproof. And you won't need all of those useless updates.

32 minutes ago, burd said:

@win32 has the december update been delayed? haven't heard about it since november i believe

I still plan to get it out by the end of month. There are some 64 bit additions I did early in the month, and then I found out to make x86 kernel32/ntdll functions work so there will be some big x86 changes. Unfortunately the development cycle is quite unstable due to a commitment to live part-time at another location where there is little acceptable hardware for Vista.

45 minutes ago, win32 said:

I still plan to get it out by the end of month. There are some 64 bit additions I did early in the month, and then I found out to make x86 kernel32/ntdll functions work so there will be some big x86 changes. Unfortunately the development cycle is quite unstable due to a commitment to live part-time at another location where there is little acceptable hardware for Vista.

VMware always works

7 hours ago, gerona12 said:

What version of VMware?

15.x and older, but you have to disable automatic updating of VMware Tools.

For Vista as the host, you can officially use 10.x, and unofficially use up to an early 12.0.x version.

46 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

15.x and older, but you have to disable automatic updating of VMware Tools.

For Vista as the host, you can officially use 10.x, and unofficially use up to an early 12.0.x version.

10.x is good, and is what I use on Vista. Maybe I should install it on my 2012R2 laptop as well, because 15 doesn't cut it on there. For example, error handling has deteriorated; try dragging and dropping files from a compressed folder open in 7zip on the host; 10 gives you an error and continues on its merry way, but 15 crashes the VM.

That combined with other Vista-related issues shows how VMware should regret laying off their entire U.S. development team. They probably knew the most, as shown by the deteriorating quality of their recent products.

Also, I'm terrible at synchronizing the development files between both locations. I brought my ntk32 files over here, but forgot to do the same for my kernel32 and shell32.

Edited by win32

On 12/25/2020 at 8:28 AM, win32 said:

10.x is good ... That combined with other Vista-related issues shows how VMware should regret laying off their entire U.S. development team...

I can confirm , for me everything after 10.x isn't working at all , with 11.x and 12.x I can install an ISO , but when I press play VM , it simply does nothing. Tested on these configs with G3470 and X5450 , both with 16GB of RAM . By the way , what version is the best in the 10.x range ? Thanks

Edited by Dixel
nevermind , found one

3 hours ago, Ark_mage2180 said:

Is there any workaround for Netflix on Chrome 86? Does it need any codecs like Firefox?

I don't believe so, as it seems to have something to do with extensions disabling by default and refusing to update.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, win32 said:

Big news for users of 32 bit software:

gimp.PNG?width=772&height=586

Having the ntdll and kernel32 functions in the same file has fixed the problems with importing certain ntdll functions, which means that 32 bit extended kernel development is going strong.

Indeed, the functions in this wrapper import ones that are present in NT 3.51 and up (discounting RtlSetLastWin32Error from XP, but that could be thrown in easily), making this set of Windows 7 functions backportable to much older OSes in theory.

This is very cool, I hope the development will finish soon, I have only one question, which programs will work? 

1 hour ago, windowsvistadude512 said:

This is very cool, I hope the development will finish soon, I have only one question, which programs will work? 

thats why we are here

to test his kernel and see if it does the job or not