[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

18 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

I tried that earlier, but I was never able to see even a single frame of the sample videos

This has got a little weird. I can play the sample videos, but actually not the "DreamScene Content". So I checked with my non-w7mfplated VM and it is capable of both. While with W7 media foundation, it only plays wmv content and not mpg content. The sample videos are wmv and the "dreamscene content" is mpg. That may be one of the main reasons why DreamScene for W7 wasn't well received, but need to check further.

Update: installing K-Lite codec pack basic 15.9 has fixed the dreamscene issues.

Edited by win32

Alright, I got my hands on HP G62, so finally I have a better machine that supports Vista.

I installed it and copied all the files to System32 and SysWOW64.

I'm getting "RtlQueryPerformace could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll" error on both Firefox&Waterfox.

What could be the issue here?

EDIT: I have to copy them myself, since installer decided to just replace extension of dll's to dll.bak.

Edited by BlackOtton
Check edit.

2 minutes ago, BlackOtton said:

I'm getting "RtlQueryPerformace could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll" error on both Firefox&Waterfox.

Open firefox.exe with CFF Explorer, go to "import directory" and change ntdll.dll to ntext.dll

That would be quite odd to have the installer rename the existing dlls and not copy the new versions. There is a check in the installer to halt if any of the files in the folder are missing.

3 hours ago, BlackOtton said:

Alright, I got my hands on HP G62, so finally I have a better machine that supports Vista.

I installed it and copied all the files to System32 and SysWOW64.

EDIT: I have to copy them myself, since installer decided to just replace extension of dll's to dll.bak.

First off , you need to run the installer as admin , mine works OK

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

Open firefox.exe with CFF Explorer, go to "import directory" and change ntdll.dll to ntext.dll

That would be quite odd to have the installer rename the existing dlls and not copy the new versions. There is a check in the installer to halt if any of the files in the folder are missing.

Thank you that did the trick!

2 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

First off , you need to run the installer as admin , mine works OK

Installer was running with administrator privileges. Doing it manually also worked like a charm.

2 hours ago, BlackOtton said:

Vista was pretty slow on my Toshiba L505D-S5983 with a dual core AMD CPU that's only 0.2GHz slower than the one in the G62

3 minutes ago, BlackOtton said:

Works pretty good on my machine. And besides that's the only PC I have that is capable of running Vista. All the drivers for Intel Arrandale Generation works.

HP's website said the G62 had an AMD CPU and GPU

3 hours ago, BlackOtton said:

Depends which model. Yes there was models with AMD CPU and GPU, Intel CPU and AMD GPU and Intel CPU and GPU.

I have i3 350M with Intel HD.

Guys , please don't go off-topic , This topic is about ex-kernel , not laptops , thanks. I'm sure you can find "PC that is capable of running Vista" topic on this forum too.

18 minutes ago, BlackOtton said:

Depends which model. Yes there was models with AMD CPU and GPU, Intel CPU and AMD GPU and Intel CPU and GPU.

I have i3 350M with Intel HD.

Makes sense now, M300 is significantly worse

3 minutes ago, BlackOtton said:

You could always try getting Home Basic working, or standard Vista, from what I understand you use Server 2008 on it?

It's dead, and still runs Vista on the HDD I'm too lazy to salvage.

My main PC runs Server 2008 R2