[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I guess ntdll means it is dead end?

No, as there is ntext. Though due to its design, it is a pain to work on but I'll need to do major work on it to push this further.

More than the RTM version of Vista I am still anxiously waiting for the KernelEx for 32-bit Windows VIsta: on the old Pentium 4 it is obviously impossible to run any 64-bit version and this is a serious limitation, because one of the main reasons to return this widely used version of Windows is to allow everyone to use Pentium 4 in daily life in 2020, with modern programs.

I made some attempts to extend x86, but aside from helping a bit with Steam clients, most of them have failed. Recently, I appear to have solved the outstanding issues with shell32, but that won't do much when kernel32 remains seriously bugged up (I suspect it to be causing problems with Bandicam and VLC x86).

Edited by win32

3 hours ago, win32 said:

No, as there is ntext. Though due to its design, it is a pain to work on but I'll need to do major work on it to push this further.

I made some attempts to extend x86, but aside from helping a bit with Steam clients, most of them have failed. Recently, I appear to have solved the outstanding issues with shell32, but that won't do much when kernel32 remains seriously bugged up (I suspect it to be causing problems with Bandicam and VLC x86).

Dear win32 , even though I'm extremely flattered that you replied to me , I think it was the new Italian guy who asked you this . I'm on Vista RTM x64 , not x86. But I think x86 is quite interesting too , so how about a new approach ? Like hexing the exes , replacing functions , or as Dixel suggested somewhere , emulating with launchers ?

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

why? win32 need to only understand missing api in ntdll.dll

Out of respect to the others , who may wanted to help , and the rules of the English forum. Also, it didn't say that you were addressing win32 only.

4 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Dear win32 , even though I'm extremely flattered that you replied to me , I think it was the new Italian guy who asked you this . I'm on Vista RTM x64 , not x86. But I think x86 is quite interesting too , so how about a new approach ? Like hexing the exes , replacing functions , or as Dixel suggested somewhere , emulating with launchers ?

Apologies, I edited the quotes so they wouldn't refer to you. It is very difficult on this forum to quote multiple posts on different pages.

Replacing functions works sometimes (one taskbar icon-related function in shell32 calls an older one because the real function would crash a program if someone scrolled over or clicked the taskbar icon), but in many cases it doesn't (most notably forwarding the K32 series of functions to the non-K32 versions in psapi.dll; it should work as the differences between K32 and non-K32 versions seem to be minute, but it doesn't for presently unknown reasons).

I guess you could disassemble programs, compare the last not using a certain function with the first using it, and change whatever routines to the old versions. Just need to bypass any integrity checks if possible.

2 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Out of respect to the others , who may wanted to help , and the rules of the English forum. Also, it didn't say that you were addressing win32 only.

? I'm typing in english. And my guess anyone dealing with extended kernel is familiar with this error message. If it was important, I would translate that.

4 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

? I'm typing in english. And my guess anyone dealing with extended kernel is familiar with this error message. If it was important, I would translate that.

OMG ! Seriously !?!? Instead of translating a couple of words , you've started to argue !? It's not about "what you guess", it's about common politeness and respect.

Enough of off-topic replies , I got that the first time , you don't want to translate , fine , just calm down and stop. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

OMG ! Seriously !?!? Instead of translating a couple of words , you've started to argue !? It's not about "what you guess", it's about common politeness and respect.

Enough of off-topic replies , I got that the first time , you don't want to translate , fine , just calm down and stop. Thanks.

The template is literally:

"The procedure entry point (Function) could not be located in the dynamic link library (dll)."

For that one screenshot, it'd be:

"The procedure entry point RtlUTF8ToUnicodeN could be not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

The template is literally:

"The procedure entry point (Function) could not be located in the dynamic link library (dll)."

For that one screenshot, it'd be:

"The procedure entry point RtlUTF8ToUnicodeN could be not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll."

Thank you very much ! I even started to think , what a cold welcome I'm getting here , except for win32 and @Dixel who were helpful , now including you @asdf2345

Now back to the topic , look here  

https://doxygen.reactos.org/d6/d49/sdk_2lib_2drivers_2ntoskrnl__vista_2rtl_8c_source.html

21 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I even started to think , what a cold welcome I'm getting here

I didn't want to argue, I just presumed that this generic message is known to everyone. Oh well, sorry if you felt offended by that.

15 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Welcome to the forum , warmest greetings to Italy , one of the most interesting and versatile countries , in my opininon. I agree with you , x86 rocks ! I'm just curious what do you need the ex-kernel for , if it's not a secret. Not much of those modern programs will run on Pentium 4 anyway.

Hello and thank you for the great welcome. I would use the x86 version as "office" only, so Chromium or Firefox and a recent version of the Office package. I know there are compatible browsers (like MyPal) but it will never be the same experience as popular browsers.

PS. I will ask @win32 for the new KernelEx right now, I stayed at the one from October and I'm curious to try the news.
It would be very useful to create a site even with some free site with news and downloads rather than using a forum, in my opinion.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

The English requirement on the forum is for text posts, not for screenshots. Our users are from all over the world and we have no expectation that the language on their computers is in English. If you see something in a screenshot in another language and you do not know what it says, you can use an OCR translator, or transcribe it yourself into a translator program, or worse case, just ask the poster to translate for you. Otherwise, ignore it if you do not want to go through the effort to try to help someone.

21 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I didn't want to argue, I just presumed that this generic message is known to everyone.

Its fine man , i dont believe anyone was in the wrong here.

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

just ask the poster to translate for you

That's exactly what I did , and what I got in return , except for rudeness and total lack of respect , not to mention him going off-topic ? I'm definitely getting a very cold welcome here , now from this supervisor too . Yet I didn't do anything against the rules and was polite in every topic . Is it something personal ? Why did you just backed him up ? You took his side for what ? Not even a word or a warning for being rude and staiyng off-topic ? Well, that's a good example for other members. I simply won't take any blame for asking him to translate his local language into English .

Are any other supervisors reading this ? I mean @dencorso 

7 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

not to mention him going off-topic ?

How did I went off topic?? I'm asking about api missing in ntdll

I really don't understand why are you so angry? I said sorry, didn't want to make you this mad. but I was not off topic. I really have no idea why this is getting so intense right now :wacko:

Edited by Jaguarek62
Fixed typo