[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Hello and thank you ! Are any similar projects planned for Vista without service packs ? Like porting DX11 , fixing logon bug . I find it very fast and good for internet usage on laptops.

I plan to focus on SP2 with 2017 updates. Though I do wonder what happens when dxgkrnl.sys, dxg.sys, d3d11.dll, and dxgi.dll are copied from SP2 to SP1 (RTM gets harder because certain functions are missing).

5 hours ago, win32 said:

I plan to focus on SP2 with 2017 updates. Though I do wonder what happens when dxgkrnl.sys, dxg.sys, d3d11.dll, and dxgi.dll are copied from SP2 to SP1 (RTM gets harder because certain functions are missing).

That's very promising , I plan to use Vista RTM in the future . Have you ever tried it ? It really is very fast . On a 10 year old hardware it feels like win2000 in the good old days. 

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

That's very promising , I plan to use Vista RTM in the future . Have you ever tried it ? It really is very fast . On a 10 year old hardware it feels like win2000 in the good old days. 

Wow , a new member who also loves Vista , esp. RTM . Welcome. I'm interested too . Though I haven't used RTM quite a long time. Try the local method , I won't double post , just scroll back.

I haven't been able to try RTM, and I've heard about its file copying and setup issues (on some machines it fails if there is too much RAM; all but 1 GB must be removed temporarily for setup to complete). Also, several ntdll functions were added in SP1 which would likely make even local redirection impossible with SP2-based files.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I haven't been able to try RTM, and I've heard about its file copying and setup issues (on some machines it fails if there is too much RAM; all but 1 GB must be removed temporarily for setup to complete). Also, several ntdll functions were added in SP1 which would likely make even local redirection impossible with SP2-based files.

I've succesfully used RTM with 8GB of RAM with b85 chipset , installation went smooth [NO updates included in the ISO], I just had to unplug my stupid cardreader , cause it had no drivers and I catched a BSOD upon the installation , the only weird isuue I had , as others have mentioned earlier , some games do behave weird when (if) your GPU has a huge VRAM , like 4 - 6 GB. Stuttering , not using VRAM to the fullest .  Overall , Vista RTM is so eye-candy and very fast. Logon bug happens rarely [!] . I guess the reported amount of VRAM by DxDiag is wrong and that particular games depend on it . Is there a way to fix the reported amount ? 

3 hours ago, win32 said:

On x64? With Haswell?

No idea about the VRAM reporting though.

Yes , Haswell , on my spare PC. Maybe this information will help someone , to make the bug less frequent , you need to disable Windows defender (or better remove it completely with vLite) and manually delay the boot process , yeah , add a ton of startup processes , for example . I've noticed it when booting from an old [slow] HDD makes it boot without the damn error. I don't know if that helps if you installed SP2 . My main PC is with LGA1156 and currently running SP1 , but I want to use RTM , the only thing that prevents me from doing so , that weird VRAM limit. I just don't see any useful things added in service packs , except for DX11 maybe , but yet again , I only have one game that can use it . I honestly don't understand why do I have to install updates too. They just make my PC slower. Vista RTM is the sweet spot between speed and modern windows. I had Windows Millenium before Vista , btw. Also good , despite the common bashing.

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

...and I've heard about its file copying and setup issues...

I've never had this issue with any of Vista builds (SP or not). And I'm kinda Vista veteran. My first Vista RTM PC had 4GB of RAM , bought in 2007 , reinstalled many times without any issues too . Also, had RTM installed on Haswell back in 2013 with 16GB of RAM , and yes , it was x64. Logon happened from to time , even though I had defender removed since 2007 or so . Later I began to notice slower extraction of huge files with WinRar , when I replaced my mobo in 2010 , but i think it was chipset bound . I still have that mobo with Intel Q45 chipset and the extraction process is like 1.5 times slower , even when SP2 installed. I think it's a weird combination of the mobo's chipset and 2TB/3TB/4TB Seagate HDDs , because I never noticed such problem with other HDD manufacturers. I agree about the VRAM problem , it persists in RTM , that was the reason I moved to SP1 on my gaming PC , in 2009-2010 (approx.). Though , I still think RTM is better in many aspects.

P.S. Would be interested in getting back to RTM too. 

On 11/13/2020 at 9:03 AM, THK2003 said:

Greetings , do you , by any chance , have links to other solutions ? As far as I can see, it's just a tool for generating certificates and importing them from windows 10 . Maybe I'm wrong , but I'm looking for a solution where one could be able to update them directly on Vista , whithout any involvement from win10. Vista has a new long life ahead , thanks to the extended kernel project and win32 !

Greetings , do you , by any chance , have links to other solutions ? As far as I can see, it's just a tool for generating certificates and importing them from windows 10 . Maybe I'm wrong , but I'm looking for a solution where one could be able to update them directly on Vista , whithout any involvement from win10. Vista has a new long life ahead , thanks to the extended kernel project and win32 !

This doesn't have anything to do with Windows 10. I have used the root cert update in that package successfully on Vista.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

This doesn't have anything to do with Windows 10. I have used the root cert update in that package successfully on Vista.

Yes, I've used it too , yes it updates them , but some are still missing ( many ), so I just ported them from my friend's PC via registry, but's that not a good solution for me. Maybe they need to be updated more often ? I don't know ... Please excuse me for polluting this wonderful topic and , as the moderator  , please delete this post , I just used search and this came as a result , because someone has posted the link to rootsupd.exe here earlier . Also , I'm very sorry if I make spelling and punctuation errors , my English is a bit rusty , it's my third langauage , because I've studied Dutch at school , like many of us here. If someone knows a link to a good tutorial (short and sweet) , please send me via PM , dank u . 

More than the RTM version of Vista I am still anxiously waiting for the KernelEx for 32-bit Windows VIsta: on the old Pentium 4 it is obviously impossible to run any 64-bit version and this is a serious limitation, because one of the main reasons to return this widely used version of Windows is to allow everyone to use Pentium 4 in daily life in 2020, with modern programs.

9 hours ago, 32bitforever said:

More than the RTM version of Vista I am still anxiously waiting for the KernelEx for 32-bit Windows VIsta: on the old Pentium 4 it is obviously impossible to run any 64-bit version and this is a serious limitation, because one of the main reasons to return this widely used version of Windows is to allow everyone to use Pentium 4 in daily life in 2020, with modern programs.

Welcome to the forum , warmest greetings to Italy , one of the most interesting and versatile countries , in my opininon. I agree with you , x86 rocks ! I'm just curious what do you need the ex-kernel for , if it's not a secret. Not much of those modern programs will run on Pentium 4 anyway.