[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

10 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Opera launched at first, but with Aero not working. Subsequently, I followed your instructions to run a complete working copy of Opera @Dixel, but it still threw dll errors. 

I'm not going to spend my whole day trying to run it, so I've gotten rid of it. Will be waiting for the next kernelex update that should allow MS Edge to run on Vista.

Well , those aren't "my  instructions" , those were given by win32 and PERFECTLY working in my case (the local method). If you want , you may scroll back and read it in his own words (why didn't you do that earlier, if you don't understand my explanations ?) . I'm not really sure what you do , but I remember you even had problems with BSOD after replacing the kernel in your system , yet others didn't . Win32 told many times , his files are meant to Vista updated to April 2017 , you may ask again or re-read the comments . So best solution would be the local method , yet it doesn't work in your case too . Perhaps you may wanna ask someone else. 

6 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

One question @win32: What exactly does that mfplatsetup.cmd script do? How does it improve video playback on Firefox/forks of Firefox?

It's already been answered earlier too. Please , do not double post , just scroll back , use search , e.t.c. 

6 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

I'll be reflecting on this issue that I faced earlier. First off, I resolved it using the method that @win32 suggested me. Second, I thought that a Server 2008 security+quality update was the problem, so I uninstalled it (I think it was KB4530695 or somewhat, please check on this @win32).  I tested this on my Vista Home Premium x64 VM and this issue did not occur. So I went on to test this on my Vista Business x64 bare metal. No errors on computer startup!

EDIT: Before my Vista install had broken earlier after I ran the extended kernel setup CMD, I tried to run the mfplatsetup.cmd file and was greeted with file system error 65535 on opening CMD, while that did not happen today. Also, I checked kernel32.dll properties and saw that the date modified was 20 November. Is this when you modified and uploaded the file in the archive, @win32?

Win32 is really busy with more important things than answering this loooong texts . You should read and re-test for youself , like many times. Like we do. Trial and error . You're not the only one , you know. And read the original instructions precisely (maybe use translate if you don't read English well enough)

I repeat his words again : April 2017 . (hence the famous ISO)

20 minutes ago, Dixel said:

You should read and re-test for youself , like many times. Like we do. Trial and error . You're not the only one , you know. And read the original instructions precisely (maybe use translate if you don't read English well enough)

Trial and error? I'm not very much into kernel extensions and dll customisation (I have said this earlier), so I don't know where stuff might go horribly wrong. I only do this when it is verified that things are working well.  Please try to respect what others have to say.

46 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Well , those aren't "my  instructions" , those were given by win32 and PERFECTLY working in my case (the local method). If you want , you may scroll back and read it in his own words (why didn't you do that earlier, if you don't understand my explanations ?) . I'm not really sure what you do , but I remember you even had problems with BSOD after replacing the kernel in your system , yet others didn't . Win32 told many times , his files are meant to Vista updated to April 2017 , you may ask again or re-read the comments . So best solution would be the local method , yet it doesn't work in your case too . Perhaps you may wanna ask someone else. 

I don't use the local method and I follow the typical system file replacement method, so I don't know what happened to Opera on my Vista and how it worked on yours. That's not something to pick a fight about.

There were no BSOD's but the computer was failing to go further than the Microsoft Corporation loading bar.

41 minutes ago, Dixel said:

And read the original instructions precisely (maybe use translate if you don't read English well enough)

The instructions were removed from the OP, in case you have not noticed!

56 minutes ago, Dixel said:

It's already been answered earlier too. Please , do not double post , just scroll back , use search , e.t.c. 

May I know where the ability to play YT livestreams and Twitch broadcasts after installing the Windows 7 media foundation codecs was specified?

3 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

May I know where the ability to play YT livestreams and Twitch broadcasts after installing the Windows 7 media foundation codecs was specified?

You were asking about >firefox< (and this has been answered earlier , scroll back) . Isn't this your question ?

"What exactly does that mfplatsetup.cmd script do? How does it improve video playback on Firefox/forks of Firefox?"

Trial and error? I'm not very much into kernel extensions and dll customisation (I have said this earlier), so I don't know where stuff might go horribly wrong. I only do this when it is verified that things are working well.  Please try to respect what others have to say.

I respect , so should you . How come it's not working only for you ? Ask other members if you don't want to listen to me , but please don't distract @win32

3 minutes ago, Dixel said:

You were asking about >firefox< (and this has been answered earlier , scroll back) . Isn't this your question ?

"What exactly does that mfplatsetup.cmd script do? How does it improve video playback on Firefox/forks of Firefox?"

Correct. But @win32 said this earlier: "mfplatsetup.7z is an installer for Windows 7's Media Foundation files, which are used by recent Firefox-based browsers.". That's all that was known about that installer, atleast by me

Edited by TECHGEEK

I don't use the local method and I follow the typical system file replacement method, so I don't know what happened to Opera on my Vista and how it worked on yours. That's not something to pick a fight about.

There were no BSOD's but the computer was failing to go further than the Microsoft Corporation loading bar.

The instructions were removed from the OP, in case you have not noticed!

You see , you've just confirmed what win32 have been saying , you don't need to go any further than April 2017 for system replacement (yet you don't listen again !) , and the instructions were not deleted , they are here , repeated many times in the comments . I'm not gonna respond you anymore , please write to someone else and refrain from asking me and win32 the same questions over again , if you don't respect me , at least show some decency towards his marvellous work. Don't want this to end blocking you up completely .

Edit Better to use internal messaging and not pollute this topic with personal instructions , thanks.

Goodbye.

Edited by Dixel

3 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I respect , so should you . How come it's not working only for you ? Ask other members if you don't want to listen to me , but please don't distract @win32

I don't know what's the root cause of the issue I faced earlier, so there is no point in you asking how it's not working for me. I repeat: I'm not very much into kernel extensions and dll customisation, so there could be varied causes, depending on my software configuration. This is why I asked @win32.

I know, if he's busy, then I can ask anyone else. I just thought he would be the best person for this

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

You see , you've just confirmed what win32 have been saying , you don't need to go any further than April 2017 for system replacement (yet you don't listen again !) , and the instructions were not deleted , they are here , repeated many times in the comments . I'm not gonna respond you anymore , please write to someone else and refrain from asking me and win32 the same questions over again , if you don't respect me , at least show some decency towards his marvellous work. Don't want this to end up blocking you completely .

I know what win32 has did and that his work deserves respect, but I happened to see that @tamarindojuice posted that he updated his system till Nov. 2020 and installed extended kernel which worked fine (that post has been deleted by him btw). So, my issue could be something related to installing the wrong updates (again, I don't know the root cause). I do respect you and I am not meaning to contradict you in what I say, I was just seeking help on how to eliminate the issue while keeping the Server 2008 updates intact, so as to have the best of both worlds.

If you still don't understand me completely, fine. I won't distract @win32 or you and won't post anything on this thread from now. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:04 AM, TECHGEEK said:

I know what win32 has did and that his work deserves respect, but I happened to see that @tamarindojuice posted that he updated his system till Nov. 2020 and installed extended kernel which worked fine (that post has been deleted by him btw). So, my issue could be something related to installing the wrong updates (again, I don't know the root cause). I do respect you and I am not meaning to contradict you in what I say, I was just seeking help on how to eliminate the issue while keeping the Server 2008 updates intact, so as to have the best of both worlds.

If you still don't understand me completely, fine. I won't distract @win32 or you and won't post anything on this thread from now. 

--

Edited by tamarindojuice

Just now, tamarindojuice said:

Yes, i did, and i re-enabled the Windows Update as the Server 2008 only (even my MSE is self updating now :D), i just hide the Meltdown and Spectre patches (KB4341832, KB4090450, KB4089229) cause id did not want to lose performance on such an old Computer/CPU as mine Vista machine. Everything is up to date to the latest patches and working pretty well and doing fine with the latest EXKernel november build.

I did not notice any loss on performance or slowdown comparing it to the Vista EOL 2017. Yes, i deleted the post cause first of all i wrote it with helping other people here in mind, but it feels like nobody didin't even bother to read it or even noticed it, so i decided just to remove the post cause i felt like talking alone among another people talking.

Ah-ha! Seems like I have found the cause of the issue! 

I had installed the meltdown and spectre patches, not bothering about their many disadvantages. Silly me!! I'm uninstalling them now

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Win32 is really busy with more important things than answering this loooong texts . You should read and re-test for youself , like many times. Like we do. Trial and error . You're not the only one , you know. And read the original instructions precisely (maybe use translate if you don't read English well enough)

Tested after uninstalling the meltdown and spectre patches that I had installed, works just fine!!