[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

Hello , thanks for the advice , the thing is - I never said that I (personally) use any Antivirus at all , someone asked and I just said 3.5.1 works because I know this for sure. As for me , I don't trust any "antivirus" . The best antivirus is brain. :-) Don't you agree ?

Yeah, even I don't use any AV and have only Malwarebytes installed to scan for malware and viruses. Also, yeah, the best antivirus is our very own Brain.exe and with smart prevention, we can avoid painful cures . I was just adding on to what you said

8 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

My Discord server would probably be the best place for discussion about the kernel. It's one of the more popular topics on there, and only few people that got banned were trolls, or were part of the server nuke.

what's your discord server?

5 hours ago, Ximonite said:

How is Malwarebytes not an antivirus?

Malwarebytes Free has no real-time protection, but was probably the world’s best PUP removal tool. IDK if that’s still true, since my brain (with a little help from VirusTotal) became very effective against PUPs years ago. I never paid for MB Premium, which has real-time but does not score very high in independent testing (and 3.5.1 isn’t very current).

On 11/20/2020 at 7:10 PM, asdf2345 said:

So you can't even mention you're using a custom OS? Looks like I'm going to be banned for using my own custom copies of Windows then

It may seem harsh, but upon reading the rules, it does actually seem to break rule #1.d:

1.d If a product's license agreement or license type specifically prohibits the usage of said product in a particular manner (for example, a Creative Commons license that prohibits commercial usage), please do not post questions or comments about the usage of said products in a manner that violates the license agreement. If there is any doubt about a license agreement's coverage and restrictions please question the owners or authors of the product directly if your usage violates their licensing agreement; please do not use MSFN for such requests (unless MSFN is the support forum for said product). Any offenders of this rule may be banned on first violation. We take issues like this very seriously here at MSFN.

"warez" would seem to qualify as an illegally obtained, illegally hacked copy of Windows XP, and as such, would constitute usage in a manner that violates the license agreement.

In other words, I understand where the mods/admins are coming from here. 

c

Edited by Tripredacus
changed OS name

On 11/21/2020 at 3:03 PM, cc333 said:

It may seem harsh, but upon reading the rules, it does actually seem to break rule #1.d:

"warez" would seem to qualify as an illegally obtained, illegally hacked copy of Windows XP, and as such, would constitute usage in a manner that violates the license agreement.

In other words, I understand where the mods/admins are coming from here. 

c

It falls apart when people say they have Windows 7 updated to 2020-01 (Or 2016-09). It's the name of a custom ISO of 7, but the name is so generic that the person could be using normal 7 and used WU to get to 2020-01 or 2016-09. Would they get banned because of the generic name overlapping with something people would normally say?

Edited by Tripredacus
changed OS name

Edited above posts to remove the name of the OS that was mentioned. It is advertisement of a particular warez release that is at issue. We do not really care what you use on your computers, but the topics cannot be discussed here. In addition, that user had put an illegal avatar on their account.

Now, no more discussion of this in this topic. If you want to follow up, you can PM a mod or post in the Site & Forum issues.

For those with access to the MEGA folder, you will notice two .7z files:

vistaexkernsetup_11222020.7z is an installer for the newest set of extended kernel files. Must be run as admin.

One improvement in the new files is the removal of subsystem version checking, so you don't have to change Firefox's Subsystem version from 6.1. SetWaitableTimerEx has been added as well, which allows Office 2019 setup to run, but its version check is very complicated. Another function needs to be added for Office Click-to-Run components to run anyway:

getting_somewhere.PNG

mfplatsetup.7z is an installer for Windows 7's Media Foundation files, which are used by recent Firefox-based browsers.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:30 PM, win32 said:

vistaexkernsetup_11222020.7z is an installer for the newest set of extended kernel files. Must be run as admin.

One improvement in the new files is the removal of subsystem version checking, so you don't have to change Firefox's Subsystem version from 6.1. SetWaitableTimerEx has been added as well, which allows Office 2019 setup to run, but its version check is very complicated. Another function needs to be added for Office Click-to-Run components to run anyway:

mfplatsetup.7z is an installer for Windows 7's Media Foundation files, which are used by recent Firefox-based browsers.

--

Edited by tamarindojuice

5 hours ago, win32 said:

getting_somewhere.PNG

I ran the setup CMD scripts in both folders but my Vista install broke ( I already had DLLs from October installed). The system does not reach the orb startup animation and reboots endlessly. I don't have USB or DVD installation media ( I have windows 8.1 on the only unused usb in the house) and I don't want to download a big 4 GB iso and reinstall vista. How to solve the problem? Can I go to startup repair without using installation media and fix this from there? (System restore is not an option as I am on an SSD)

Please note: I ran the setup cmd's as admin and also I have updated my Vista till Jan. 2020

Edited by TECHGEEK

17 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

( I have windows 8.1 on the only unused usb in the house)

Boot from your Windows 8.1 USB, do a shift+f10, and go to your system32 folder.

delete kernel32.dll

rename kernel32.dll.bak kernel32.dll

Repeat this for user32, shell32, ole32, dwmapi, uxtheme.

13 minutes ago, win32 said:

Boot from your Windows 8.1 USB, do a shift+f10, and go to your system32 folder.

delete kernel32.dll

rename kernel32.dll.bak kernel32.dll

Repeat this for user32, shell32, ole32, dwmapi, uxtheme.

Thanks a lot, this fixed the reboot loop!

But now , should I reinstall the extended kernel using the CMD?

23 minutes ago, TECHGEEK said:

But now , should I reinstall the extended kernel using the CMD?

Considering the issues you just had, I'm not sure. But it's weird that this happened nonetheless. I just bypassed the subsystem checks, fixed up two functions and added two others. :dubbio:Perhaps something went wrong with the download?

This is the SHA-256 checksum for my installer 7z:

83CFFB0C8A144E608403D1D4EAD02EDB99DF37196977ABFA1A370F6A9DD948A3

is that yours?