[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

3 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I meant for Chrome

Also, I was a bit busy

Honestly , I think Chrome is not needed when we have 360 , Chrome has sooo much telemetry alone, even without added Chinese prying eyes , I see no reason to use it without removing it first . I mean , let's say I found some time to sit and edit it , then I'll better add some more time to remove it from 360 and be with a much faster and convenient browser. It's not that I like it, it's just I'm choosing between these evils. I don't like anything modern at all. Besides ,  Chinese working for Google , aren't they ?

Edited by Dixel

On 11/16/2020 at 1:54 AM, win32 said:

This is the original version of Teardown, which uses a Windows 10 exclusive API function, SetProcessDpiAwarenessContext, running on Windows Vista with an upcoming update to user32.dll ...

Have you tried any games that use  "MonoBleedingEdge" ? There are plenty of them now , even though the main executable doesn't have anything against Vista , that dreaded "mono" won't load . The error "can't load mono" , that's it . Adding files isn't helping.

6 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Have you tried any games that use  "MonoBleedingEdge" ? There are plenty of them now , even though the main executable doesn't have anything against Vista , that dreaded "mono" won't load . The error "can't load mono" , that's it . Adding files isn't helping.

I do have a game that uses MonoBleedingEdge, Crisis in the Kremlin. Steam page said it ran on XP x64, except it didn't. Mono (which is .NET) was the problem. And it got to the point where it stopped working on Vista as well.

Indeed, I have a copy of the file mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll with a digital signature dated January 15, 2020. The Windows 7 function TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive is called by that file. Because I added it, that game is working again. What about your mono files?

14 hours ago, Dixel said:

Installed , didn't help, all the same . Also added VCRedist from 2005 to 2015 x86 and x 64. Perhaps redirection is a no go ?

Found info regarding games having the exact same error on Win7."This application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b).Click OK to terminate." And they point to VCRedist 2008.

Sorry , posted in reply to myself.

Edited by Dixel

On 11/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, win32 said:

You do need to go further than base SP2. Anything from April 2017 to present is good. For a quick rollup-type update, this one works for me in some of my testing VMs (November 2018 rollup): http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4467700

At least now I know why most of you have such long boot time , I too have it after this KB4467700. It is nowhere near yours (40 sec.), but it went up from 11-16 to approx 22. Updates are truly evil. 

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Indeed, I have a copy of the file mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll with a digital signature dated January 15, 2020. The Windows 7 function TryAcquireSRWLockExclusive is called by that file. Because I added it, that game is working again. What about your mono files?

No , like I said mine are not working . The only working games is where mono has a lower version from 2017 . I even tried to place your files in the folder with mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll. You said mono is .NET, will installing .NET 4.6 solve the problem ? I really don't wanna try in vain because I remember my last experience with 4.6.1 wasn't good, half of the programs went nuts , esp. video players.

Edit Oh , and I even have one game with new mono which shows the same error , like chromium 72 : "This application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b).Click OK to terminate." Others show plain and simple "can't load mono".

Edited by Dixel

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

No , like I said mine are not working . The only working games is where mono has a lower version from 2017 . I even tried to place your files in the folder with mono-2.0-bdwgc.dll. You said mono is .NET, will installing .NET 4.6 solve the problem ?

You would have to put the files and the .local file in the game exe's folder, since that will ultimately load the mono files.

And 0xC000007B means that the file image is bad (corrupted), possibly caused by modifications made to the file.

Edited by win32

3 hours ago, win32 said:

You would have to put the files and the .local files in the game exe's folder, since that will ultimately load the mono files.

And 0xC000007B means that the file image is bad (corrupted), possibly caused by modifications made to the file.

That's precisely what I did . I put all files from your folder to the main game folder with the main ".exe" , created empty file with the game name , added game.exe.local extension , then ( just in case ) copied all files to the mono folder , redirection of files was enabled earlier , boom , I see the same error . The file image is not "bad" , it runs fine on my old Win7 laptop. What do you mean by "put the .local files (plural) in the game exe's folder" ? Do I have to create empty files for each DLL too ?

P.S.

Tried on several games with mono , no luck. Edit your update from Nov. 2018 installed , of course . Also DX11 , Platform update and VCRedist up to 2015 and .NET 4.5.1

Edited by Dixel

2 minutes ago, Dixel said:

What do you mean by "put the .local files (plural) in the game exe's folder" ? Do I have to create empty files for each DLL too ?

The plural was an oversight. It appears that only one .local file is needed per folder; other executables in the same folder seem to use the local DLLs as well.

3 minutes ago, Dixel said:

The file image is not "bad" , it runs fine on my old Win7 laptop

Well, that is odd.

3 hours ago, win32 said:

The plural was an oversight. It appears that only one .local file is needed per folder; other executables in the same folder seem to use the local DLLs as well.

Well, that is odd.

Ah , forget about them , those modern games are not worthy anyway , in any case , thank you very much for trying to help me ! Do you think DOA6 will launch ? Any chance ? There is a demo available , I can't find any info whether it uses this bloody mono or not.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

Ah , forget about them , those modern games are not worthy anyway , in any case , thank you very much for trying to help me ! Do you think DOA6 will launch ? Any chance ? There is a demo available , I can't find any info whether it uses this bloody mono or not.

Haven't been able to run it yet (woah, it's almost 60 GB!!! mostly play older games that are a few GB or less) but I don't see any traces of mono. Checking the dependencies, it should run on Windows 7/Windows Vista Extended Kernel, which means another developer is lying when they put Windows 10 as the minimum OS.

Edited by win32

4 hours ago, win32 said:

Haven't been able to run it yet (woah, it's almost 60 GB!!! mostly play older games that are a few GB or less) but I don't see any traces of mono. Checking the dependencies, it should run on Windows 7/Windows Vista Extended Kernel, which means another developer is lying when they put Windows 10 as the minimum OS.

I will test it myself and write back . I understand you have plenty to do. I've got a good deal on a huge HDD , so space is not a problem , though I have very weak CPUs on all of my PC's . It's Xeon X5440 (somewhat similar to yours, oveclocked) and a cheap Haswell Pentium , also OC. I'm afraid the performance will be terrible . I only hope if this game is not CPU demanding , and my old GTX970 will be enough.

20 hours ago, win32 said:

Hi , I've just tried . DOA6 DEMO won't launch , it wants K32EnumProcessModulesEx in KERNEL32.dll.

P.S. To whom it may concern , it doesn't use that bloody "mono". It has a huge executable and not a single game related DLLs (!). Some third party DLLs are present in the folder , but they are not being used by the game itself.

Edited by Dixel

3 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Hi , I've just tried . DOA6 DEMO won't launch , it wants K32EnumProcessModulesEx in KERNEL32.dll.

I added that function awhile back (early July). You did the .local thing with my kernel32, right?

Edited by win32