[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

32 minutes ago, win32 said:

This is the original version of Teardown, which uses a Windows 10 exclusive API function, SetProcessDpiAwarenessContext, running on Windows Vista with an upcoming update to user32.dll:

teardown-on-vista.png

Later versions of the game no longer use this function and as such will work normally on Windows 7, 8.x and 99.9% sure, Vista, though I have no proper way of testing DX11 games on Vista due to the age of my GPU. There are also other games known to use this function, so even though the developers of Teardown realized the demand for their games on older platforms, others may take a different attitude and force users onto the latest versions of Windows 10 to use their products. So, this will allow Vista/7/8.1 users to be prepared for such a future event.

Since some interest has been shown in donations for my work, I have set up a method for users to contribute financially for this and some of my other works:

https://www.patreon.com/win32

image doesnt load for me here :(

Just now, win32 said:

strange. It is hosted on a semi-abandoned WordPress site of mine.

i used a vpn to view it and it loaded , pfft. If you want i can test the newer teardown versions.

Edited by burd

On 11/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, win32 said:

I wonder what happens if you try launching this Chromium 72: https://github.com/henrypp/chromium/releases/tag/v72.0.3626.121-r612437-win64

Hello , I've finished testing this one from your link , well ... no luck . First off , I had your old files from the video , with them nothing happens , just silence. Then a kind soul provided me with the newest ones and this chromium 72 started to show only one error "This application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b).Click OK to terminate." I have bare SP2 , but I installed some updates , just in case . Platform update , DX11 , Framework 4.5.2 , the same error happens.

1 minute ago, Dixel said:

Hello , I've finished testing this one from your link , well ... no luck . First off , I had your old files from the video , with them nothing happens , just silence. Then a kind soul provided me with the newest ones and this chromium 72 started to show only one error "This application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b).Click OK to terminate." I have bare SP2 , but I installed some updates , just in case . Platform update , DX11 , Framework 4.5.2 , the same error happens.

You do need to go further than base SP2. Anything from April 2017 to present is good. For a quick rollup-type update, this one works for me in some of my testing VMs (November 2018 rollup):

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4467700

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

You do need to go further than base SP2. Anything from April 2017 to present is good. For a quick rollup-type update, this one works for me in some of my testing VMs (November 2018 rollup):

Laughing cause you linked a security only update

I've got a slipstreamed ISO with all updates up to April 2017,

Replaced the DLLs in question with those of your extended kernel using a live Linux distro and it says something about an ordinal not found error in shell32.dll (899 I think)

Also where's osloader.efi and such supposed to go? There's no equivalent to a few of these in system32

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

On 11/13/2020 at 11:14 PM, win32 said:

I haven't much interest in Chromium/Blink myself, though I test it and support it based on popular demand. The only advantage Chromiums have right now is that they are currently the only Vista-compatible browsers capable of viewing Widevine-protected content.

They're also the only browser that can do quoting in Discord correctly. Every other browser inserts random line breaks between the usernames in compact mode, which is highly annoying and something that won't be fixed because of the 90% market share Chrome has.

A lot of other modern websites of such tend to hate optimising for anything but Chrome for the same reason. It's IE6 all over again.

Edited by Koishi Komeiji

9 minutes ago, Koishi Komeiji said:

Replaced the DLLs in question with those of your extended kernel using a live Linux distro and it says something about an ordinal not found error in shell32.dll (899 I think)

Also where's osloader.efi and such supposed to go? There's no equivalent to a few of these in system32

Yeah, that shell32 error is a weird one. Never had it myself on my testing systems. An installer will soon replace this method.

osloader.efi is intended for UEFI systems only. There's no real need for osloader/ntkrnlmp as of yet, actually.

19 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Laughing cause you linked a security only update

huh? This should be sufficient as it updates the main OS files (like win32k.sys) and is what I used.

1 minute ago, win32 said:

Yeah, that shell32 error is a weird one. Never had it myself on my testing systems. An installer will soon replace this method.

osloader.efi is intended for UEFI systems only. There's no real need for osloader/ntkrnlmp as of yet, actually.

huh? This should be sufficient as it updates the main OS files (like win32k.sys) and is what I used.

Oh, that does make sense

13 hours ago, win32 said:

Installed , didn't help, all the same . Also added VCRedist from 2005 to 2015 x86 and x 64. Perhaps redirection is a no go ?

2 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Installed , didn't help, all the same . Also added VCRedist from 2005 to 2015 x86 and x 64. Perhaps redirection is a no go ?

Yes, it does have some disadvantages over direct file replacement. I noticed some issues with the Firefox search bar and playing media in that browser with redirection alone. Never tested it with chromium.

2 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes, it does have some disadvantages over direct file replacement. I noticed some issues with the Firefox search bar and playing media in that browser with redirection alone. Never tested it with chromium.

In my testing, it never worked

3 hours ago, win32 said:

I've searched this error , some say it is related to VCRedist 2008 absence , strange , I have them both - x86 and x 64.  I wasn't going to use that old chrome , anyway.