[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

58 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

5. Afterwards, open back up Firefox.exe, navigate to Import Table, then to ntdll.dll, and then change the entry RtlQueryPerformanceCounter to NtQueryInformationProcess. Save the file and test it out

You can also just change ntdll.dll to ntext.dll which has an implementation of RtlQueryPerformanceCounter.

The next change to kernel32 should eliminate the need to change SubSystem versions in executables.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, win32 said:

The next change to kernel32 should eliminate the need to change SubSystem versions in executables.

Will this work for me without the uefi file of winload aswell? just confirming

Edited by burd

2 minutes ago, burd said:

It should. the uefi files are only needed if you installed using UEFI BIOS. If you installed using Legacy BIOS, you are good, and don't need the UEFI files.

3 minutes ago, burd said:

Only ntoskrnl changes (and possibly some for ntext later on) require a modified winload file.

Trying this extended kernel makes windows vista bluescreen, i tried this with a fresh copy of windows vista home premium x64 i tried in one of my laptops (Acer Aspire 5920g) and ina vm with virtualbox, all goes well till i copy the files to system32 through the windows vista installer

Does anyone know any solution to this, or i should use windows vista ultimate?

2 hours ago, Sputnik1973 said:

Trying this extended kernel makes windows vista bluescreen, i tried this with a fresh copy of windows vista home premium x64 i tried in one of my laptops (Acer Aspire 5920g) and ina vm with virtualbox, all goes well till i copy the files to system32 through the windows vista installer

Does anyone know any solution to this, or i should use windows vista ultimate?

You need a updated copy of Vista, updated to the 2017 EOS, which is hard to achieve. But if you want to easily update Vista to the 2017 EOS, x has what you need

Edited by Tripredacus
removed content per rule 1

Just now, asdf2345 said:

You need a updated copy of Vista, updated to the 2017 EOS, which is hard to achieve. But if you want to easily update Vista to the 2017 EOS, the r/LegacyWindows wiki has what you need

You should have updated your copy of Vista to up until its EOL (2017). Though this is easier said than done.

2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

You need a updated copy of Vista, updated to the 2017 EOS, which is hard to achieve. But if you want to easily update Vista to the 2017 EOS, the r/LegacyWindows wiki has what you need

Oh, i forgot to mention that the iso i used is sp2, but the updates does throw me an error and doesnt install

Edited by Sputnik1973

Just now, Jaguarek62 said:

You should have updated your copy of Vista to up until its EOL (2017). Though this is easier said than done.

The thing is that windows update does throw me an error, i will try to post it later

1 minute ago, Sputnik1973 said:

The thing is that windows update does throw me an error, i will try to post it later

Windows Update no longer functions in NON-SHA2 operating systems. You need to manually obtain these updates from repository. I'm pretty sure that someone on MSFN did archive them.

7 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Windows Update no longer functions in NON-SHA2 operating systems. You need to manually obtain these updates from repository. I'm pretty sure that someone on MSFN did archive them.

I see, i will try to install them when i have a free moment to install those updates from an external repository

Edited by Sputnik1973

On 10/9/2020 at 6:38 PM, tamarindojuice said:

Tried the latest Dolphin Emulator 5.0 beta build, previowsly it used to not open complaining about some random QT libs that could not be loaded, but now it's working pretty well.

Congrats.

qtvista.jpg

I was literally discussing Dolphin 5.0 with someone a few days ago on vanilla Vista SP2 x64 - in fact I bought a Radeon HD 6350 (512MB) GPU to pair with my Sandy Bridge i5-2400k just for Dolphin, haha.

@win32, the image in the OP seems to be broken, by the way. Is this just on my end?

Edited by Koishi Komeiji