[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

32 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Actually the driver might work by itself, just manually select the Radeon R4 Graphics in the .inf using device manager, and see if it works

Got Vista installed. Not going to do anything until tomorrow as I am gonna setup a dual-boot with Windows 7 so I can use it to replace the Vista files with the Extended Kernel ones.

4 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Got Vista installed. Not going to do anything until tomorrow as I am gonna setup a dual-boot with Windows 7 so I can use it to replace the Vista files with the Extended Kernel ones.

It's better to use Linux as it won't be concerned with file permissions

Edited by asdf2345

4 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

It's better to use Linux or XP as those won't be concerned with file permissions

Actually, 2000/XP (not sure about how NT4 with SP4+ will handle it, though it would probably be the same - earlier NTs won't read NTFS 3.x) will also require you to get around the file permission hurdle.

Edited by win32

Just now, win32 said:

Actually, 2000/XP (not sure about how NT4 with SP4+ will handle it) will also require you to get around the file permission hurdle.

I didn't know that (Mainly because my XP install on my test system doesn't recognize USB devices anymore, so I can't log on to see how it works)

10 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

It's better to use Linux as it won't be concerned with file permissions

Ah, ok. Will install that later. Also, where do I put the modified files at? In the SysWOW64 folder or System32? Do I just copy the modified files over the existing ones, or do I delete the existing files first, and then copy?

1 minute ago, Jakob99 said:

Ah, ok. Will install that later. Also, where do I put the modified files at? In the SysWOW64 folder or System32? Do I just copy the modified files over the existing ones, or do I delete the existing files first, and then copy?

x64 files go in System32, x86 files go in SysWOW64

Rename the existing files, then copy over the extended files

14 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

x64 files go in System32, x86 files go in SysWOW64

Rename the existing files, then copy over the extended files

Ah, ok. I take it the name for the existing files does not matter (like System32.old)?

Ah, ok. I take it the name for the existing files does not matter (like System32.old)?

You don't rename the folder, only the files you replace. For example, kernel32.dll.old is something you could use

Edited by asdf2345

6 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

You don't rename the folder, only the files you replace. For example, kernel32.dll.old is something you could use

Whoops! Did not realize I typed in System32.old instead of Shell32.old. Anywho, thanks for answering my questions. I do have an HP I can try this on too, but I need 4GB DVD's as none of the USB ports worked, and I don't think there is any way to burn the Vista ISO across multiple DVD's and install it that way (where you have to remove the disk and put in the next one when told, similar to installing Windows 95 from Floppy Disks).

Whoops! Did not realize I typed in System32.old instead of Shell32.old. Anywho, thanks for answering my questions. I do have an HP I can try this on too, but I need 4GB DVD's as none of the USB ports worked, and I don't think there is any way to burn the Vista ISO across multiple DVD's and install it that way (where you have to remove the disk and put in the next one when told, similar to installing Windows 95 from Floppy Disks).

The r/LegacyWindows wiki has what you're looking for

2 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Ok. Also, for the ntkrnlmp.exe, osloader.efi, and osloader.exe, do I put those in the System32 folder as well?

Yes, but osloader.efi is presently non-functional. And not needed if you're on BIOS/MBR. Likewise, osloader.exe is useless on UEFI.

29 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes, but osloader.efi is presently non-functional. And not needed if you're on BIOS/MBR. Likewise, osloader.exe is useless on UEFI.

Ok. Also, I discovered an error. Snipping Tool does not work. I tried to open it up and got an error that snipping tool isn't working right now. Picture of error soon to come.

21 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

https://mega.nz/file/wgxAFCzJ#N8_D1L59p8isZ2Gz4nmgBPxkdXlFqS52uxbctbvumDQ

If you give me your GPU's hardware ID, I can try modding it in

I added in my processor, and got an error when trying to install. The error is in the last photo, which also shows a snipping tool error, rendering it unusable. My processor is the AMD Stoney Radeon R4 98E4. It is the second to last processor in the first photo.

1png.png

2.png

3.png

EDIT: I copied all the processor info for the 98E4 from the Windows 7 graphics package (which did not initially include my variant of the 98E4 until I added it in the INF), and then added in references to Stoney by CTRL+F (Find), searching for R505, copying all the data associated with it, pasting it below and changing all the references from R505 to Stoney, and then installed it. The first time, I got "There is no driver or device element selected", the second time I got "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems (Code 43)". Not sure what to do now.

Edited by Jakob99

13 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

I added in my processor, and got an error when trying to install. The error is in the last photo, which also shows a snipping tool error, rendering it unusable. My processor is the AMD Stoney Radeon R4 98E4. It is the second to last processor in the first photo.

1png.png

2.png

3.png

EDIT: I copied all the processor info for the 98E4 from the Windows 7 graphics package (which did not initially include my variant of the 98E4 until I added it in the INF), and then added in references to Stoney by CTRL+F (Find), searching for R505, copying all the data associated with it, pasting it below and changing all the references from R505 to Stoney, and then installed it. The first time, I got "There is no driver or device element selected", the second time I got "Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems (Code 43)". Not sure what to do now.

Replace the .inf with this one, and try again

https://files.catbox.moe/7rv8vo.zip