[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

7 hours ago, burd said:

still the same :( , i also checked logs of a game , in windows 7 it loads nvoglv64.dll and nvwgf2umx.dll , but in vista it fails at nvwgf2umx.dll and doesnt even attempt to load nvoglv64.dll

I changed something at the offset where the error occurred. I wonder what the crashes look like now?

6 minutes ago, win32 said:

Now I have uploaded another one, that tries to bypass the problematic set of instructions.

still the same , lol , maybe the issue is something completely different? i mean literally nothing is changing, the log files confirm that it is using the local folder aswell , still the same.

Edited by burd

3 minutes ago, win32 said:

so nothing refers to the problematic instruction anymore, yet it's still responsible for crashes? :w00t:

sigh

idk man its really bizzare not 1 thing has changed so far :(

How do I go about setting up the Extended Kernel? I have a 2019 Acer Aspire A315-21 with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics with Windows Vista installed to a spare hard drive (The OEM copy of Windows 10 is safe and sound on its original drive), and want to try to get drivers such as graphics working.

All the drivers for this model, of which you can view here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7208?b=1, has Windows 7 support. I was able to get most of the drivers listed there to work when I previously had 7 on the drive before wiping it for Vista. A few such as Elan Touchpad, I had to grab from Google Search.

For the AMD Graphics, I had to download them from AMD's website. Despite the graphics card featuring Windows 7 support, it did not have my variant in the file (which is code-named Stoney Ridge), so it did not initially install, however, after modifying the INF file to add in my graphics card with the info from Device Manager, I was able to install it with the Have Disk method.

This did not install the Radeon Control Panel, but that should be working if you open up Start Menu, navigate to the AMD Radeon folder, and manually start it, and then restart the system. It is also advised to not use the Have Disk method like I did, but rather browse to where AMD dropped the files, and let Windows search (make sure Include Subfolders is checked).

By me trying this, it can help us get Windows Vista working on a 2019 laptop, that ironically still has driver support for Windows 7 even though the Acer site only has Windows 10 to chose from for the available drivers.

Edited by Jakob99

11 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

How do I go about setting up the Extended Kernel? I have a 2019 Acer Aspire A315-21 with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics with Windows Vista installed to a spare hard drive (The OEM copy of Windows 10 is safe and sound on its original drive), and want to try to get drivers such as graphics working.

All the drivers for this model, of which you can view here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7208?b=1, has Windows 7 support. I was able to get most of the drivers listed there to work when I previously had 7 on the drive before wiping it for Vista. A few such as Elan Touchpad, I had to grab from Google Search.

For the AMD Graphics, I had to download them from AMD's website. Despite the graphics card featuring Windows 7 support, it did not have my variant in the file (which is code-named Stoney Ridge), so it did not initially install, however, after modifying the INF file to add in my graphics card with the info from Device Manager, I was able to install it with the Have Disk method.

This did not install the Radeon Control Panel, but that should be working if you open up Start Menu, navigate to the AMD Radeon folder, and manually start it, and then restart the system. It is also advised to not use the Have Disk method like I did, but rather browse to where AMD dropped the files, and let Windows search (make sure Include Subfolders is checked).

By me trying this, it can help us get Windows Vista working on a 2019 laptop, that ironically still has driver support for Windows 7 even though the Acer site only has Windows 10 to chose from for the available drivers.

It might be possible to mod the 15.100 embedded drivers to work with the laptop as the GPU appears to be based off of the same GCN architecture as the R9 200/300 series

Edited by asdf2345

2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

It might be possible to mod the 15.100 embedded drivers to work with the laptop as the GPU appears to be based off of a older GCN architecture than even the R9 M200 series.

You have a link to it? How would I go about modding them? Would I just need to add in my processor into the INF file?

35 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

You have a link to it? How would I go about modding them? Would I just need to add in my processor into the INF file?

Actually the driver might work by itself, just manually select the Radeon R4 Graphics in the .inf using device manager, and see if it works

7 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Actually the driver might work by itself, just manually select the Radeon R4 Graphics in the .inf using device manager, and see if it works

I will try that. Replacing the Vista install on the laptop with one that has the updates needed for Extended Kernel. Will get back to you on what happens.