[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

I apologize for this apparent mishap. This is what detecthal = 1/true actually does (from https://geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/boot/bcd/osloader/detecthal.htm):

ConditionKernel

32-bit loader translating physical memory addresses using PAE       ntkrnlpa.exe (x86)

else                                                                                                 ntoskrnl.exe

Whether the 32-bit loader, and thence the 32-bit kernel, uses Physical Address Extension (PAE) depends on the pae and nx options.

Without the detecthal option, the loader uses whatever HAL and kernel are specified by hal or kernel options. Without a hal option, the loader defaults to hal.dll. Without a kernel option, the loader falls back to the same kernel it would have detected.

so it loads ntoskrnl.exe anyway. Thus I'm pulling the modified file for now.

15 minutes ago, win32 said:

I'm very puzzled by this. :dubbio:

I repeated my own steps - success.

Replaced the ntkrnlmp file with the one from the mega folder - success.

Then I noticed that I had detecthal = yes which none of you had. So I changed one to no (0) and I got the same error.

So, I'll add this to the instructions

bcdedit /set {91274567-89ab-cdef-00ff-nca000ffffff} detecthal 1

Works for me

6ar9Jj5.png

8 minutes ago, win32 said:

I apologize for this apparent mishap. This is what detecthal = 1/true actually does (from https://geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/boot/bcd/osloader/detecthal.htm):

ConditionKernel

32-bit loader translating physical memory addresses using PAE       ntkrnlpa.exe (x86)

else                                                                                                 ntoskrnl.exe

Whether the 32-bit loader, and thence the 32-bit kernel, uses Physical Address Extension (PAE) depends on the pae and nx options.

Without the detecthal option, the loader uses whatever HAL and kernel are specified by hal or kernel options. Without a hal option, the loader defaults to hal.dll. Without a kernel option, the loader falls back to the same kernel it would have detected.

so it loads ntoskrnl.exe anyway. Thus I'm pulling the modified file for now.

For this reason, I'm returning to the drawing board for ntoskrnl. :blushing:

any chance of someone making a video on how to change the dlls? i'm not very good at software and stuff related to...

edit: also can someone borrow me a win vista ultimate iso? lost mine while formatting some hdds

Edited by Regele

17 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Works for me

6ar9Jj5.png

Do the random BSODs still happen to you?

So far only one happened for me, and I don't know if it is the USB NIC's driver problem since it's an old version.

Edited by ilwalaihr

1 hour ago, ilwalaihr said:

Do the random BSODs still happen to you?

So far only one happened for me, and I don't know if it is the USB NIC's driver problem since it's an old version.

Yeah, that's why I used a VM

Hi, I'm new on MSFN.

I've try today to replace the Windows Vista Business x64 dll file with the @WinClient5270 files but when I restart the Virtual Machine the system crash (BSOD). I also tried to change the firefox 78 installation folder by copying the kernel and modifying the exe (as shown in the video

) but I get errors on some missing dlls (specifically api-ms-win-core-errorhandling-l1- 1-0). I fixed these errors by installing C ++ Visual Studio 2015 as suggested in the video comments but I still find a kernel related error. Do I need the latest Vista updates? (if yes, where can I find and download them?)

On 8/29/2020 at 4:52 AM, Regele said:

any chance of someone making a video on how to change the dlls? i'm not very good at software and stuff related to...

edit: also can someone borrow me a win vista ultimate iso? lost mine while formatting some hdds

You can download Windows Vista Ultimate x64 at this link: <link removed>

On 8/29/2020 at 6:20 PM, tamarindojuice said:

Notice that to get the ex kernel running you need a Vista updated up to EOL 2017

Since Windows Update is no longer working on Vista where can I find updates?

On 8/29/2020 at 6:20 PM, tamarindojuice said:

Download and install Windows6.0-KB2999226

You're just missing C runtime dlls

I installed the update: when I start Firefox with Kernel32 modified in the Firefox folder an error appears "K32EnumProcessModules could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll"

I'm not familiar with Windows but I would like to be able to run Firefox in Vista, so thanks in advance

Just now, LongLifeXP said:

I installed the update: when I start Firefox with Kernel32 modified in the Firefox folder an error appears "K32EnumProcessModules could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll"

Are you using 64bit Firefox? Did you apply the reg from the extended kernel folder? Did you make a file named firefox.exe.local in the Firefox folder?