[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

Big Picture mode on steam doesn't seem to load "Chat" , to load the library of games small mode seems to be a better option as its very compact and chat can be used using the Hotkeys , though uninstalling a game doesn't work as it needs steamhelper.

5 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I found a modded BIOS, so I'll eventually try Vista again. I have HPET disabled, a option that doesn't exist on the stock MSI BIOS for some reason. I'll also try disabling SATA hotswap if I have issues, something I should have tried earlier, but didn't think about.

Didn't work

Nice to see people that actually like and enjoy windows vista. 

Is there any approximate month/year when this project will get into a stable version/or at least get out of alpha? 

Also any chance of a website where you can download already modified programs installers that works on vista in the near future? 

Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Regele said:

Nice to see people that actually like and enjoy windows vista. 

Is there any approximate month/year when this project will get into a stable version/or at least get out of alpha? 

Welcome to MSFN :hello:, Basically theres no alpha or beta it just depends on which functions that are added are needed for the software you use , currently many functions are added to the x64 files which is quite good and helpful for running unsupported software , and the 32bit ones are being worked on , this ofcourse wouldn't be possible without win32 so do give him your thanks :yes:

Edited by burd

2 hours ago, Regele said:

While I'm quite satisfied with the progress made thus far, many other kernel extension projects spend years in development (Windows 2000 extended kernel started development in January 2011 with the latest update in August 2019, and is based off the KDW wrapper that was introduced in 2008; even today it doesn't run everything that XP runs) so it may take awhile before it can be considered finalized.

The x64 version is quite stable for the programs that run under it, with only a few minor caveats. The DLL redirection method takes care of compatibility issues that arise with programs that ran previously. Things are not as solid on the x86 front and it will take longer to figure it out.

Well, it's nice to see the Extended Kernel for Vista. But do someone ran Discord and latest Spotify app under Vista? Which functions do I need to add to the 32-bit kernel32?

Edited by Ark_mage2180

It's not a blocked installation, it's just missing functions in kernel. But if Visual Studio Code works, Discord and Spotify should work too, because all these apps are Electron-based.

But I'm curious about other problem. Why can't I install any extensions to Chrome?

image.thumb.png.62cf6a1780d360faa58dc0105590a1a8.png

It's known issue on Vista, but why? Installing via developer mode doesn't work too.

I think we must be patient, and these problems will be solved.

Edited by Ark_mage2180

Spotifiy and Discord are not working yet because they are 32bit. Win32 is working on supporting x86 programs. We must wait.

Spotify version 1.0.34 is older. The latest installer version (1.1) has blocked installation on older Windows.

47 minutes ago, Ark_mage2180 said:

I noticed other bug in Extended Kernel. Sidebar doesn't show on desktop.

You're the second one who has reported that. I still have it on mine, but that's my main machine with April 2017 updates.

Indeed, my VM with July 2020 updates does have this problem. The solution is to make a folder named sidebar.exe.local in Program Files\Windows Sidebar and place your original ole32.dll in there (make sure you applied my reg key). Then it will work.

Can you make Windows 7 drivers run on Vista? It doesnt matter when, all it matters that if it is possible. I really want to use vista but my GPU doesnt let me.

Edited by C9_Slips

12 hours ago, win32 said:

The solution is to make a folder named sidebar.exe.local in Program Files\Windows Sidebar and place your original ole32.dll in there

Thanks, it works.

Edited by Ark_mage2180