[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

Steam verifications can be bypassed by placing a cfg near steam.exe it would seem , it would get rid of the checksum issue and stop redownloading everytime. Also used the Chromium 77 files from my Dec 2019 build and steam is still blank and steamhelper still crashes :thumbdown.

steam.cfg

Edited by burd

The x86 shell32.dll has serious problems, specifically with (Get/Set)CurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID. Buffer overflows occur triggering DEP. Even the win2k versions of the functions by BWC has the same problems.

So more time will be required to get in working order. I see that the working x64 versions of those functions have some key differences that set them apart from the x86 ones. Not sure if that will help much or not.

10 minutes ago, win32 said:

The x86 shell32.dll has serious problems, specifically with (Get/Set)CurrentProcessExplicitAppUserModelID. Buffer overflows occur triggering DEP. Even the win2k versions of the functions by BWC has the same problems.

So more time will be required to get in working order. I see that the working x64 versions of those functions have some key differences that set them apart from the x86 ones. Not sure if that will help much or not.

You could just stub them, and see if applications will play well with the stubs

55 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

You could just stub them, and see if applications will play well with the stubs

I tried that, and it failed. Next thing I'm trying is seeing if there are alternate functions that will satisfy the programs; if so, then the new functions will be directed to those. But the AppUserID stuff in the taskbar is quite novel.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, win32 said:

I tried that, and it failed. Next thing I'm trying is seeing if there are alternate functions that will satisfy the programs; if so, then the new functions will be directed to those. But the AppUserID stuff in the taskbar is quite novel.

Any word about the  LoadLibraryExW rewrite , havent heard about it in a while.

Just now, burd said:

Any word about the  LoadLibraryExW rewrite , havent heard about it in a while.

I decided to focus on the x86 stuff while I was away from my Kaby Lake hardware. But I'll be back with it on Sunday.

Just now, win32 said:

I decided to focus on the x86 stuff while I was away from my Kaby Lake hardware. But I'll be back with it on Sunday.

How is Vista running on the Kaby Lake hardware? Or do you not have Vista on it?

1 minute ago, win32 said:

cool , thanks for the quick reply :).

1 minute ago, asdf2345 said:

How is Vista running on the Kaby Lake hardware? Or do you not have Vista on it?

It is unstable and somewhat slow to boot with the EFI loader compared to 2012R2 on a 5400 rpm HDD. About five random services do not start at each boot. This wrecks havoc on Windows Updates, as they often fail and in one case broke the install.

Just now, win32 said:

About five random services do not start at each boot. This wrecks havoc on Windows Updates, as they often fail and in one case broke the install.

Same with my 4720HQ laptop (With no GPU drivers :( HD 4600 is too new). I only had to redo one batch of updates though. I don't have the slow boots, but my (neglected) 3770k second PC does have a slow boot up time, and both are Intel systems with AHCI SATA 3 SSDs, so idk what causes that.

I say neglected, because I could test games and such with the x64 kernel on my secondary PC, as the HD 6870 is still fairly decent, but I'm lazy, and want Vista on my main PC, so I don't have to deal with two keyboards and three mice. (I use two mice with my PC, one with an insane DPI, and the other is a PS/2 ball mouse for when I need fine control over the pointer, and have no USB drivers)

I found a modded BIOS, so I'll eventually try Vista again. I have HPET disabled, a option that doesn't exist on the stock MSI BIOS for some reason. I'll also try disabling SATA hotswap if I have issues, something I should have tried earlier, but didn't think about.

Maybe you could use your knowledge of Vista dlls to find out what causes the service issue, and fix it. You might be able to find a fix for my Ryzen issues too, if I don't.

4 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Same with my 4720HQ laptop (With no GPU drivers :( HD 4600 is too new).

Its actually sad , because XP has 4600 drivers and i heard they work but on Vista it doesnt , the drivers are unofficial though but still made by some Ex-intel people.

Edited by burd

1 minute ago, burd said:

Its actually sad , because XP has 4600 drivers and i heard they work but on Vista it doesnt , the drivers are unofficial though.

There are drivers that you can get from a archived download on Intel's site, but XPDM is too different from WDDM I guess. I haven't gotten them working

Edited by asdf2345

6 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

There are drivers that you can get from a archived download on Intel's site, but XPDM is too different from WDDM I guess.

Yea its a lot different , i heard someone did try to modify it to make it work with Vista but there was an issue with the ribbon inferace or so and aero would not work at all.

Edited by burd

16 minutes ago, win32 said:

It is unstable and somewhat slow to boot with the EFI loader compared to 2012R2 on a 5400 rpm HDD. About five random services do not start at each boot. This wrecks havoc on Windows Updates, as they often fail and in one case broke the install.

I experienced that on Haswell before. Running the updater was like playing a game of Russian roulette. Besides the startup failures, OS components would gradually break over time too. At one point even ClearType font rendering just like. Stopped functioning?

It was a real joy.

2 minutes ago, docR said:

I experienced that on Haswell before. Running the updater was like playing a game of Russian roulette. Besides the startup failures, OS components would gradually break over time too. At one point even ClearType font rendering just like. Stopped functioning?

It was a real joy.

On my Vista laptop, I have things like the device manager and UAC prompts error out, but usually trying again fixes it. I sometimes have programs not install, and file copies like never happen.