Is it possible to run Windows 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

Hi,

Is it possible to run (install/use) Windows 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 15R -5537 (which came with Windows 8). If it isn't, can you run Windows 2000 on a computer that was built for Windows 8 or 10? I am currently running Windows 10. And no, using a VM is not an option. I have seen people run Win2k on newer laptops. I am open to doing anything.

4 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

Hi,

Is it possible to run (install/use) Windows 2000 on a Dell Inspiron 15R -5537 (which came with Windows 8). If it isn't, can you run Windows 2000 on a computer that was built for Windows 8 or 10? I am currently running Windows 10. And no, using a VM is not an option. I have seen people run Win2k on newer laptops. I am open to doing anything.

i wasn't able to find specific information on the dell inspiron 15r-5537, i'm thinking it's a 3rd generation intel? if so, and you're novice to the specific windows 2000 workarounds, then it may be anywhere from very difficult to somewhat straightforward in getting things to work. you'll have to browse the forum and do some extensive research, however, to cut it a little short for you, the things you generally would need are sata drivers slipstreamed with nlite, usb 3.0 drivers also possibly slipstreamed ( depending on bios or whether usb 2.0 ports can be used from early ), and possibly slipstreamed blackwingcat's extended core package / files ( this may be difficult to do, and i won't be able to guide you on this directly, and it can make it more difficult to configure the system due to having to install certain things in a very specific order / way ). there also appears to be a usb related issue that causes windows 2000 SP4 to not install / setup usb properly on certain newer systems, it's said to effect 2nd generation intel and newer, although appears to also effect some chipset(s) before 2010? i had made my own iso package that MIGHT fix the usb issue which is from a modified "USB.IN_" file, the modification was suggested by another member of this forum but it seems that it's untested so far, the slipstreamed package also contains intel and amd drivers up to most of the newer modern sata controllers, etc. the intel / amd drivers are blackwingcat's unofficial sata ahci / raid drivers. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 10:19 PM, cov3rt said:

i wasn't able to find specific information on the dell inspiron 15r-5537, i'm thinking it's a 3rd generation intel? if so, and you're novice to the specific windows 2000 workarounds, then it may be anywhere from very difficult to somewhat straightforward in getting things to work. you'll have to browse the forum and do some extensive research, however, to cut it a little short for you, the things you generally would need are sata drivers slipstreamed with nlite, usb 3.0 drivers also possibly slipstreamed ( depending on bios or whether usb 2.0 ports can be used from early ), and possibly slipstreamed blackwingcat's extended core package / files ( this may be difficult to do, and i won't be able to guide you on this directly, and it can make it more difficult to configure the system due to having to install certain things in a very specific order / way ). there also appears to be a usb related issue that causes windows 2000 SP4 to not install / setup usb properly on certain newer systems, it's said to effect 2nd generation intel and newer, although appears to also effect some chipset(s) before 2010? i had made my own iso package that MIGHT fix the usb issue which is from a modified "USB.IN_" file, the modification was suggested by another member of this forum but it seems that it's untested so far, the slipstreamed package also contains intel and amd drivers up to most of the newer modern sata controllers, etc. the intel / amd drivers are blackwingcat's unofficial sata ahci / raid drivers. 

I found a unofficial sata AHCI driver on BWC’s website. I slipstreamed that and Unofficial Service Pack 5.1 into my SP3 ISO. Then I burned the ISO to the CD. When I booted from the CD, I press F5 and F7. Then it tells me to choose what type of PC I have. I selected ACPI Multiprocessor PC. It then loads devices at a very slow speed then gets stuck on “Setup is starting Windows 2000”. I waited for about nine minutes then shut the PC off. 

Edit 1: I tried choosing standard PC, however, it freezes on “Setup is starting Windows 2000”, and then I get a BSOD with the error “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE”

Edit 2: I tried choosing ACPI then I got a BSOD with the code 0x000000A5.

Edit 3: I pressed F7 when setup prompted me to press F6, but I still get the BSOD with the error 0x0000007B.

Edit 4: I have tried every single options and it either freezes or gives me a BSOD with 0x0000007B.

Edited by GD 2W10

On 7/10/2020 at 12:31 AM, GD 2W10 said:

I found a unofficial sata AHCI driver on BWC’s website. I slipstreamed that and Unofficial Service Pack 5.1 into my SP3 ISO. Then I burned the ISO to the CD. When I booted from the CD, I press F5 and F7. Then it tells me to choose what type of PC I have. I selected ACPI Multiprocessor PC. It then loads devices at a very slow speed then gets stuck on “Setup is starting Windows 2000”. I waited for about nine minutes then shut the PC off. 

Edit 1: I tried choosing standard PC, however, it freezes on “Setup is starting Windows 2000”, and then I get a BSOD with the error “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE”

Edit 2: I tried choosing ACPI then I got a BSOD with the code 0x000000A5.

Edit 3: I pressed F7 when setup prompted me to press F6, but I still get the BSOD with the error 0x0000007B.

Edit 4: I have tried every single options and it either freezes or gives me a BSOD with 0x0000007B.

Are you running on Legacy mode in your uefi? w2k requires mbr aswell , you can also try getting universal ahci drivers from winraid to see if it works after which , i heard w2k doesnt properly support text mode drivers anyways and only XP supported it properly so i wouldnt expect much.

2 hours ago, burd said:

Are you running on Legacy mode in your uefi? w2k requires mbr aswell , you can also try getting universal ahci drivers from winraid to see if it works after which , i heard w2k doesnt properly support text mode drivers anyways and only XP supported it properly so i wouldnt expect much.

Tried a W2k iso with USP5.1 and Fernando's drivers (some directly from him and some from Endermanch) on a VM with Windows 8/8.1 compatibility mode. When I select textmode, it gives me an error saying one of the files is corrupted. When I try regular pnp mode, I get a BSOD with 0x0000007B. Did it on a VM so I would not waste time rebooting a lot.

Edited by GD 2W10

9 minutes ago, GD 2W10 said:

Tried a W2k iso with USP5.1 and Fernando's drivers (some directly from him and some from Endermanch) on a Windows 8 virtual machine. However, I still get a BSOD with 0x0000007B. 

Perhaps its not working due to partial text mode driver support or a bad iso , i remember getting similar errors in XP x64  but still managed to install it later on , but it seems getting the ahci driver to work is tough and specific , do you get the error while booting into setup or while installing?

Edited by burd

19 minutes ago, burd said:

Perhaps its not working or a bad iso , i remember getting similar errors in XP x64  but still managed to install it later on , but it seems getting the ahci driver to work is tough and specific

I don't think it is a bad iso because I have been able to install Win2k on a VM with that same ISO I downloaded.

Edited by GD 2W10

4 minutes ago, GD 2W10 said:

I don't think it is a bad iso because I have been able to install Win2k with that same ISO I downloaded.

Now i dont really remember it was many years back , but i think you had to slipstream only your specific ahci drivers or something like that and not all (atleast for XP) but im not sure

Edited by burd

1 hour ago, burd said:

do you get the error while booting into setup or while installing?

I get the BSOD while booting into the DOS based setup.

Edited by GD 2W10

I tried many ISOs with a lot of different drivers and USP5.1 integrated. I even used some unofficial XP AHCI drivers for my Dell from drp.su. I even integrated BWC's kernel extension. They just all end up with a BSOD with 0x0000007B while booting into setup.

Edited by GD 2W10

3 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

I tried many ISOs with a lot of different drivers and USP5.1 integrated. I even used some unofficial XP AHCI drivers for my Dell from drp.su. I even integrated BWC's kernel extension. They just all end up with a BSOD with 0x0000007B while booting into setup.

because its unable to load your ahci drivers it will give that error , i hope you arent slipstreaming all the ahci drivers , you have to only slipstream your specific AHCI one , also in your uefi or bios? there might be a thing to change AHCI to IDE , you could possibly try that

According to some dell websites , In your Bios , under advanced tab there should be "SATA Operation" which needs to be set to ATA ( IDE) , then Windows 2000 Setup will boot without any need for drivers or you could try slipstreaming with AHCI mode which is what i did for XP x64. I honestly think you've hit a dead end unfortunately.

Edited by burd

On 7/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, burd said:

there might be a thing to change AHCI to IDE , you could possibly try that

I can't. Setup will not let me. 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:59 PM, burd said:

i hope you arent slipstreaming all the ahci drivers , you have to only slipstream your specific AHCI one 

Oh, I did not know that lol.

Edited by GD 2W10

3 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

Oh, I did not know that lol.

try it , but i still wouldn't keep my hopes high , its a 50-50 chance

Edited by burd