ar5001x mini pci wireless adapter for 98SE

cov3rt

i was wondering if anyone has experience with using the ar5001x mini pci wireless adapter working on windows 98 / 98SE? the base hardware id is "PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0013", although, the specific id with the card i tested a while back was "VEN_168C&DEV_0013&SUBSYS_04041468&REV_01". the rev part doesn't seem to matter much, but subsys part may. i remember getting driver version 3.30.0.150 working, but it only supported up to WEP, not WPA ( i tried WPA-AES specifically ) but it didn't work. i don't think i tested with odyssey client 4.56 back then, i think i only used wsc guard 4.0, however, i would assume it wouldn't be any different with the other application, since the driver is the limitation? there is also a 3.30.0.156 version, but i couldn't find a package with the AR52119.SYS, and looking at the user who was testing on a different OS, they said it only supported WEP. the only other versions i found just now ( unsure if i tested them before a while back ), but there is 2.4.2.33 which mentions that it added support for WPA for Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 and XP, however, it might only be the  WPC55AG cardbus wireless adapter? another version is 4.1.2.71, which has more broad support, but i'm unable to find any reference to whether it supports WPA and / or whether driver itself would work. also in 4.2.2.33, it has 9x related sections, but i was not able to find a download package for it. 

here is some notes on driver version 2.4.2.33 below:

Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Product:                WPC55AG

Classification:         Driver Release History

Driver  Date:        12/3/2003

Release Date:           1/30/2004

Last Driver Version: 2.4.2.33 __________________________________________________________________________
Driver Version 2.4.2.33
- Added WPA Support for Windows 98SE, Me, 2000 and XP
- Updated Wireless Network Monitor to version 1.2 w/support for WPA
- Wi-Fi Certified for 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g and WPA
- Support for WPC55AG v1.1 and v1.0

Driver Version 2.3.2.4
- Cisco Compatible Extensions
- Added mulitple SSID support
- Added LEAP authentication support
- Added multiple WEP key support
- WHQL: Me, 2000, XP
- Wi-Fi(TM) certified for 802.11b and 802.11a

Driver Version 2.3.0.63
-Initial Release

Edited by cov3rt

8 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

I use this driver on my ThinkPad T42p with an aftermarket miniPCI Atheros WiFi card, they are the latest ever made Atheros WiFi drivers for 98SE (4.1.2.71), they support WPA2 fully and are working fine for me with Odyssey Client 4.56:

http://shell.stare.pro/~mrmateczko/Atheros_Wi-Fi_Win98SE_Latest.zip

is that a modified driver? reason why i ask is because in the custom readme, it that states that the ar52119.sys may get copied to windows/system32, possibly causing issues, but if copied / moved to windows/system, it would then work fine. maybe that could have explained why i couldn't get 4.1.2.71 working a while back if the reason was due what you mentioned, also, i have previously downloaded the same package, all is the same, except that the file names are in caps and no readme. 

It's not modified, all the files are original with their original modified date, the custom readme is something that I've wrote :)

Also, there are many copies of the 4.1.2.71 driver on the internet, but all of them are branded in the INF file (D-Link etc.), rather than the generic Atheros name.

Before the FTP went down, it was the only copy that was not branded (although that's a very minor nitpick :) ), good thing it's now preserved.

Also yes, the INF file does indeed copy the SYS file to the wrong folder, blame Atheros, not me :)

Just move it to the System folder and everything will be well.

Edited by MrMateczko