Spotify on Windows 2000

Hi All,

Out of curiosity does anybody have any idea as to why when Spotify is installed with extended kernel it tries to update itself thus rendering unusable?

The part I can’t understand is this only happens on a fresh install using the final XP version. Rolling back makes it work and then it updates itself making it unusable again. 

On an existing install from a couple of years ago Spotify is quite happy and doesn’t try to update.

I have tried blocking permissions to the Update folder in Local Settings\Application Data but that then causes Spotify to have a VB error.

My theory is something along the lines of because the program doesn’t detect XP SP3 as the installed OS it considers itself worthy of an upgrade however it then installs a version requiring Win 7 and above.

I tried setting the Spotify exe to XPSP3 in fcwin2k however this also doesn’t seem to make a difference. It does allow the initial install though. 

If anybody has any ideas I’d be very grateful - it’s something that has me stuck. On a side note installing the last XP version on a new XP install does not cause it to update and actually says we’re dropping support for your current platform but as many will know that is along the lines of we’re not giving you updates but it’ll probably keep working.

Thankyou all in advance.

I ran the installer in XP SP3 which is the bit I find odd. After install it runs perfectly and then restarts for an update at which point it then wants Windows 7.

On XP a fresh install doesn’t run the update and just says support has ended.

It’s very odd but I can’t seem to figure it out on my own.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, voltage said:

Excuse me for bumping but can't the Spotify version specifically made for Vista (Runs on XP despite it targeting Vista) work on Windows 2000 with the extended kernel?

It is still on their website, here: https://www.spotify.com/us/download/other/

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had to use both Alky for Applications and OS Spoofer to get it to run. In case you don’t know what Alky for Applications is, it basically is a plugin that allowed Windows XP to run Vista applications like the Windows Sidebar that would allow you to run Vista gadgets, but it somewhat runs on Windows 2000 w/KernelEx, albeit poorly (not in this case, though). First, spoof the win2k installation to xp, then if you haven't installed Alky already (Link to download Alky), make sure to install it first before installing Spotify. Then, install Spotify. You can then spoof it back to win2k if you want. Don't just directly open Spotify up, Right click on the desktop shortcut and select "Run Vista Executable..." in the menu. It runs, but its a bit buggy. Note that I tested it in VMWare, how sure how it would run on real hardware.

Edited by testaccount66766
Corrected a typo and added more info about Alky