WInXP and driver code 10 debugging. NVME on Z390, with clean install is working, with older not..

ruthan

I only want know, what is idea after this operation. what to expect etc..

Otherwise it in checked event log and there is indeed nvme related error:
  The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjpbqfd5p3tjud7/NVME-EventError.PNG?dl=0

Otherwise testing could be pretty fast, when its working i just install driver - one *.sys.. and right after its device ready, or i get code 10 when its not working, no restart needed.

19 minutes ago, ruthan said:

Otherwise testing could be pretty fast, when its working i just install driver - one *.sys.. and right after its device ready, or i get code 10 when its not working, no restart needed.

You said it is not working - just install driver won't help in the current situation.

20 minutes ago, ruthan said:

I only want know, what is idea after this operation. what to expect etc..

The idea is to copy the working device configuration from the clean install.

Note, you may need to also copy some .sys files if they are missing (but first try without them).

If/when this starts working on your old Windows, you can try importing the backup you created - whole, or in parts. You will have to replace its ControlSet00x number to match the new one.

Its brutal even for such barbarian as me.. but i will try it, it would be funny :)

Lets say that it would work what would be next steps, because i dont thing that is simply possible to transfers all settings, would be problem with already installed SW, which are using some virtual device drivers etc?

40 minutes ago, ruthan said:

Lets say that it would work what would be next steps, because i dont thing that is simply possible to transfers all settings, would be problem with already installed SW, which are using some virtual device drivers etc?

To restore your virtual device drivers, etc.:

Make a copy of the .reg file you exported from the old windows. Open it in Notepad and find&replace the number in ControlSet00x with the one you picked for the new configuration. Save. Import the file into registry. Reboot.

Now, there are two scenarios next:

1. everything works - the job is done, nothing more to do.

2. crash, the driver stops working again, or some other problem - reimport the .reg file from the clean windows, split the .reg file from the old windows into small parts and import them one by one (with reboots) until you find which part causes problems.

I tried first part.. Boot no bluescreen, but on login screen i got black screen, mouse cursor and reboot. And safe mode gave me freeze too, just blinking cursor.  

Make sense to try add virtual devices or its just dead end?

About debugging with small parts would not be more clever really try to check why installation is failing and service not running from my perspective it seems easier way, but i never did such things.

Edited by ruthan

10 minutes ago, ruthan said:

All from, this post:

OK, now do this one:

This will merge the clean and the crashing configurations. Colliding keys (present in both configs) will have the content from the crashing XP. From the clean config only the unique keys will remain. Hopefully they will be enough to make that driver work.

.Hmm, the same. I changed used Controll set back to original - 7 and its working. 

I only saw 1 difference before crash, when its working mouse cursor is smaller - high resolution, when its not its bigger - lesser resolution, all my instance have same resolution.

I wanted to export new Control set to make some comparison.. but after i run machine again with Controll set 7.. and im opening registry Control set 9 is no gone.. Is there some max Control set 8 or something like that limit (i got some Windows update and Shutdown i have few not working updates (.Net framework 3.5), which are trying to install from time to time )? I at least once Control Set 9 was there before i was able to import second part (virtual device inside it).

Now i can create Controll set 9  quickly.  If there is some good tool comporate keys. BTW i dunno if there is something what should stay private, or could post keys here - now i can recreate

I am not aware of any forced limits for the number of control sets.

If you did a backup of the whole C:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder as i suggested before, you can restore it and redo everything until you get the control set 9 back (or export it straight from the backup if it was there).

To compare .reg files you can try WinMerge or WinDiff.

Ok, im not expert, i never saw hore than 8 sets anywhere and i saw lots of machine, it true is than number of digits suggest up to 999, but you never know..