Entry point GetFinalPathNameByHandleW in kernel32.dll

SandyM

I'm having the same problem, and unfortunately, System Restore is not working for me. (I tried a few different restore points, and it always comes back saying that it was unable to restore to that point.) Any other ideas? (I already tried the other suggestions on this thread.)

• 2 years later...

I came across this issue when I tried to use MSO 2010 on my XP machine for the first time in years, which makes the fix much harder. I can live without Office on my XP machine, but pursued a fix as a "fun" exercise. Thought this might help someone else.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you'll need to remove all MSO updates after KB4092483. Fortunately, the numbers ascend by date. 

Using add/remove programs, I removed all MSO application updates after KB4092483.

Try running an Office application. If you get the same or similar error, you're not done yet. Restart your machine and add/remove programs. You'll probably discover that updates after KB4092483 have magically reappeared. Remove them.

Between iterations of this process, I also tried installing the KB4092483. At first, I got some obscure error message that I didn't write down, but I was successful after restarting the computer. I don't know if running this update several times contributed to the process.

As I iterated, the date stamp and version number of mso.dll changed, getting closer to 9/14/18 and 14.0.7214.5000

And finally, eureka! 

After backing this up, I incrementally added updates to see what breaks Office. My observation is that it was only the security updates. Replacing mso.dll with the 14.0.7214.5000 version allows Office applications to start, but I did not test extensively. This likely defeats the security fixes, so best not to connect such a machine to the internet.

Edited by DRGimlin