Entry point GetFinalPathNameByHandleW in kernel32.dll

SandyM

Hi - 

When I launch MS Word 2010 on my Windows XP (SP3), I get the following message:    

The procedure entry point GetFinalPathNameByHandleW could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll

As a result, I am unable to open any Word documents. In fact, this message is applicable to Excel, PPT applications as well.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

50 minutes ago, SandyM said:

Thank you for your feedback. How do I proceed with making the updates? 

Easy, you don't install them as those updates are meant for Win7 and they have been mistakenly rolled out to XP / POSReady users that have Office 2010 as well thus breaking their Office build.

Edited by FranceBB

I don't have those:  mso2010-kb4484126,  KB4462223, KB4461614, KB4462174, mso2010-kb4092483.

What KB do I need to fix my problem? And how do I get it? 

I don't know why it says size=0, it seems to actually be OK.
The file you need is "mso-x-none_852c8f4c16a121d662c070374553e1ffe159779a.cab".
The MSP update file is in there.
:)

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm being a bit paranoid here - sorry. Should I copy my current MSO.DLL file (as backup) before running the mso-x-none.msp ? I dont want to mess up things even more. 

And if mso-x-none.msp does not work, I can always put back my old MSO.DLL (and reboot). The MSO.DLL is only impacting Microsoft Office application, right?

After running the patch. I noticed the following updated files under:

ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\MicrosoftShared\Office14:

mssoap30.dll

wisc30.dll

There was no change to the mso.dll file

I rebooted & then clicked on a word document. No success. I get the following message:

WinWord.exe popup: The procedure entry point GetFinalPathNameByHandleW could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll

And then another popup saying: Error: the operating system is not presently configured to run this  application.

What should I do? Should I run the system restore and pick a date when I remember MS-Word working? Will this restore any deleted files?

I just deleted and ran the installed. The version that got installed is the newer version (14.0.7248.5000). Why?

What should I do? Should I run the system restore and pick a date when I remember MS-Word working? Will this restore any deleted files?

Edited by SandyM