Backup driver Win 98

Houfino

It depends if you want it for another build of the OS or not. ScanReg is the best backup and then take a copy of the SysBckUp\rb0**.cab at appropriate intervals so it is not overwritten. In ScanReg.ini the number of MaxBackUpCopies can be set. For another different build then I do not know of a program but specific registry parts can be taken from a good build and then in the bad build delete and merge with good build parts. If you are interested in this method then I can look into it again as I did it before and I should be able to point out what the areas were.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Backup the files  in \Windows and the following subfolders:

• CATROOT
  • Helpdesk\SFC
  • INF (skip the .pnf files)
  • OPTIONS\CABS
  • SYSBCKUP
  • SYSTEM
  • SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

This should cover most drivers. There may be support programs in \Program Files though.

Also, in case a driver comes in a .msi package, you can backup \WINDOWS\Installer as well.

If space isn't a problem, it would be best to backup the whole \Program Files and \WINDOWS folders.

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding my 2 cents. Since Windows 98 installs have a relatively small footprint, after initial installation and setup, a full system backup is superior, not just drivers. If this is a dual boot system with GNU/Linux, or you have a Linux Live-CD, a simple backup method is linked below. If using the Windows OS standalone, there is undoubtedly full system backup software available. So if you have drive space or an extra USB stick available, personally this would be the way to go.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177106-running-vanilla-windows-98-in-2020/page/11/?tab=comments#comment-1173639