ALC883 98/98SE driver.

opeaget

If you don't find any I tried to find some didn't come up with it, you could put a PCI soundcard they are pretty safe on eBay and disable the internal one in puter bios unless laptop.

There are 6 channel surround generic versions for about $20 .AU new that are designed to run on windows 98SE

second hand you can get some real nice grade units that are rare too.

There are also usb versions that boast simulated surround for headphone use.

cheap to buy for the retro enthusiast.

PCIE versions exist but they're not supported on windows 98se and also built in audio chips are often PCIE these days (never seen your motherboard how bout a photo?)

you do have the option of PCIe sound using the CMI8738 chip sound card.  I just dug mine out of storage and got it working in my Asus Pk5e using a driver I found googling -Philscomputerlab driver from 2003.    I have kernelEx installed and had to set the install program to windows ME compatabilty for it to autoinstall on 98SE

On 5/29/2020 at 6:53 PM, RainyShadow said:

Did you try this?

Not a good idea, my post was about AC97 audio drivers, Realtek ALC883 is an HDA codec, so it won't work

Edited by Carlos S. M.

5 hours ago, Carlos S. M. said:

Not a good idea, my post was about AC97 audio drivers, Realtek ALC883 is an HDA codec, so it won't work

Ooops :P

Seeing that both posts are about ALC8xx i thought this is AC97 too. Dumb moment here :P

So, they'll need UAA bus driver first... Does such a thing even exist for Win9x?

• 1 month later...