hal.dll file missing or corrupt?

cucolinwin

Hi, everyone, this is a great forum!! My question: I have a dual-boot system with Win2000 & Winxp. A few days ago I tried to log into my Winxp partition and I get an erron message: "hal.dll file is missing or corrupt please re-install file" So, I tried to look for it in the Winxp CD in order to re-installed but nothing was found. How do you re-install this file???

Thanks

Contrary to what the error message says, it may have nothing to do with hal.dll. Rather, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured for some reason(You can go ahead and install hal.dll and see).

The following is steps to follow to resolve the problem:

1. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.

2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key

3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.

Typically this will be #1

4. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file

5. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it

6. Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Yes, sir it identified 2 Windows installs, but after that it asked me the following:

[1]: C:\WINNT

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All): (My answer was "y")

Enter Load Identifier: (My answer was "WinXP Pro")

Enter OS Load Options: (At this point I was not sure what to do, so I typed "2")

[2]: D:\WINDOWS

(Same questions as above)

I think I made a misktake in the "enter load identifier" and "enter OS load options" in the seconde case I typed "1"

Now I get 4 options for booting my system but the one in [2]: D:\WINDOWS does not work I it reboots the system. And I still get the same error "/system32/hal.dll file missing or corrupt please re-install the file"

Please help!!

Go to Recovery Console and execute the following:

FIXBOOT D:

And reboot.

And see if selecting one of those four option will let WXP to boot. If WXP boots, then edit BOOT.INI to remove unneccessary entries.

If WXP still does not boot, then post the contents of BOOT.INI file.

Kaz

Sorry, the only options that work are for Win2000 and one of the options for Winxp gives me an error: ""load needed DLLs for kernel".

This is my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Please help!!

The boot.ini as posted indicates there is only one os option which is contrary to what you previously reported. I just put this aside and move on based on the contents of the boot.ini.

Boot to W2K and then by using Windows Explorer if you can see a directory named as "Windows" in D: drive, then edit the boot.ini file to be as follows:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

After editing it as above be sure to SAVE it, and try rebooting.

If you do not see "Windows" directory in D:, then WXP need be reinstalled.

If you see "Windows" in D: and edited boot.ini and you see two os boot options but still WXP does not boot, then replace a file named as "ntldr" at the root of C:\WINNT with the one in Windows XP CDROM.

Kaz

I have no boot.ini in D: (which is E: in my case) I modified boot.ini for the Win2000 partition which looks similar to the one you posted but the only difference is that the boot.ini is on the C:

Thanks, I guess I will have to install WinXP again!! :)

If anything else let me know!

Your earlier post indicates that WXP is installed in D:. Are you saying it is installed in E: drive? I am confused.

If WXP is in E: then boot.ini have to be edited differetly from the one in my previous post. At any rate the boot.ini to be edited is the one in Windows 2000 installation or in C: drive.

Another thing: In one of my previous post I suggested that you execute FIXBOOT D: at command prompt after getting into Recovery Console. But if Windows XP was installed in E:, then the command should have been FIXBOOT E: instead.

Well, I guess you can solve the problem faster at this point by just reinstalling Windows XP.

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...
Contrary to what the error message says, it may have nothing to do with hal.dll. Rather, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured for some reason(You can go ahead and install hal.dll and see).

The following is steps to follow to resolve the problem:

1. Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.

2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key

3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.

Typically this will be #1

4. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file

5. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it

6. Take out the CD ROM and type exit

Hi....

Thanks for the advice...I tried this and got the following message.

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations.

This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would

prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to

detect any disk errors.

Note. This operation must complete successfully in order for the

/add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.

I run chkdsk and get the following:

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked.

Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

I have NO idea what to do next. HELP!!! :)