Windows 98SE on a Core 2 Duo?

macx1227

I saw someone did this before, but I'm just wondering if there's anyway I can install it on mine? Mine's a bit younger than the article I read.

HP Compaq 6000 Pro, Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR3

Also, would it be possible to change out the media reader for a floppy drive? It occupies the same space, I think, and this model did originally ship with XP so it could have been; Mine shipped with Vista, personally, though; and I got it refurb with Windows 10 Pro(which the key was for home basic....Go figure. reinstalled alongside a separate windows 7 drive and kubuntu on the same win 10 drive).

Hi, macx1227,

welcome to MSFN!

Myself, i ran a E8400 with W98SE, and also a C2Q 9550S.

Unfortunately, CPUs are (usually) not the problem, so that does not say anything.

Chipset and mainboard-layout are paramount.

Your PC has the Q43 chipset, if i'm not mistaken, and i found these data (sorry, German only):

https://www.tiger-technik.de/Mainboards/Intel/Sockel-775/HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-SFF-MT-Mainboard-531965-001-503362-001-Intel-Q43-DDR3-m188::1630.html

http://www.webdatenblatt.de/cds/de/?pid=6d32df853078772

Are these correct, basically? (Mainly, is the screenshot correct? - if not, can you send a screenshot of the MoBo layout?)

Cheers,

Ragnar G.D.

On 4/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, macx1227 said:

I saw someone did this before, but I'm just wondering if there's anyway I can install it on mine? Mine's a bit younger than the article I read.

HP Compaq 6000 Pro, Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR3

Also, would it be possible to change out the media reader for a floppy drive? It occupies the same space, I think, and this model did originally ship with XP so it could have been; Mine shipped with Vista, personally, though; and I got it refurb with Windows 10 Pro(which the key was for home basic....Go figure. reinstalled alongside a separate windows 7 drive and kubuntu on the same win 10 drive).

as ragnargd mentioned, you have a q43 chipset which belongs to the ich10 family and if i'm not wrong, there should be working unofficial chipset drivers for them. i actually have the unofficial package but i never tested them myself, it includes ich10 in the inf, though requires a slipstream process. luckily at least you have a desktop motherboard, so assuming the chipset part gets taken care of, you should also have support for a decent video card through pci slot or vbemp basic display for the integrated gpu. i was gonna upload it here in case you wanted to test, but the package is about 45 KB zipped, and i can only upload max 10 KB. lonecrusader has a link for it to download though here "http://lonecrusader.x10host.com/files/INTELINF_9.4.0.1017_98SE.ZIP"

Edited by cov3rt