How to make my Windows XP AHCI SATA driver compatible to POSReady 2009?

retrogamer

I have an OptiPlex 755 that was made for Windows XP and Windows Vista. I downloaded the SATA AHCI "pre-OS install" drivers from https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=xdm29&oscode=ww1&productcode=optiplex-755

It contains these files:

iaahci.cat  iastor.cat    IaStor.sys    Version.txt
iaahci.inf  iastor.inf    TXTSETUP.OEM

I can load them in BIOS AHCI mode during the Windows XP setup from a floppy drive, or after Windows XP installation in BIOS Legacy mode by manually replacing the Standard IDE Channel driver on a running Windows XP system, then rebooting and switching BIOS mode to AHCI. Both methods work.

Now I got a POSReady 2009 DVD, so I wanted to use it and install the AHCI driver in the same way. But, POSReady 2009, would display an error message upon reboot: "Operating system not found" (similiar to that)

So, I wonder why the driver wouldn't work for POSReady. There must be a difference that makes the reboot fail. Do you have any ideas? And could I make the AHCI driver files compatible with POSReady?

And there is a second problem: The chipset drivers (https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=njm0j&oscode=ww1&productcode=optiplex-755) refuse to install on POSReady. But that is probably a matter of changing some string in the Registry I suppose. What's really urgent for now is the AHCI driver issue.

8 hours ago, retrogamer said:

I have an OptiPlex 755 that was made for Windows XP and Windows Vista. I downloaded the SATA AHCI "pre-OS install" drivers from https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=xdm29&oscode=ww1&productcode=optiplex-755

It contains these files:

iaahci.cat  iastor.cat    IaStor.sys    Version.txt
iaahci.inf  iastor.inf    TXTSETUP.OEM

I can load them in BIOS AHCI mode during the Windows XP setup from a floppy drive, or after Windows XP installation in BIOS Legacy mode by manually replacing the Standard IDE Channel driver on a running Windows XP system, then rebooting and switching BIOS mode to AHCI. Both methods work.

Now I got a POSReady 2009 DVD, so I wanted to use it and install the AHCI driver in the same way. But, POSReady 2009, would display an error message upon reboot: "Operating system not found" (similiar to that)

So, I wonder why the driver wouldn't work for POSReady. There must be a difference that makes the reboot fail. Do you have any ideas? And could I make the AHCI driver files compatible with POSReady?

And there is a second problem: The chipset drivers (https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=njm0j&oscode=ww1&productcode=optiplex-755) refuse to install on POSReady. But that is probably a matter of changing some string in the Registry I suppose. What's really urgent for now is the AHCI driver issue.

Slipstream the drivers with nlite.

JFYI, you can use a F6 floppy without a floppy drive :w00t: by using a floppy image and grub4dos (or syslinux) when booting.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179566-getting-sata-mode-to-work-during-and-after-xp-install/

Please try again and report the EXACT

"Operating system not found" (similiar to that)

error you get, it may come from either the BIOS or from the MBR or PBR on disk (I am assuming that it is white on black background, not a BSOD white on blue background).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Possibly related to an old issue I had

The thread is a mess and a resolution was never posted into there. I swear that a resolution was posted on the forum, but I am having trouble locating it.

The issue in that thread was that I could boot in IDE using in-box drivers but not boot into RAID using Intel RAID driver unless I would zero out the MBR on the disk before installing.

As for the resolution, for some reason I have this memory of the boot image having 2 indexes and having to inject the drivers into both (usually it is only index 2) before it would deploy. However, I also do not know if I had used my regular method of creating images on finicky hardware: creating a base install on another system. I looked on my deployment server and I ended up only using a single image and it was deployed using imagex to 1 partition. So I think that once the initial install was done, redeploying it wasn't an issue.

19 hours ago, retrogamer said:

I think nlite doesn't support POSReady 2009, unfortunately. It seems no slipstream tool does. Slipstreaming would probably help with the chipset drivers. But probably not with the AHCI driver.

I don't know your origin problem, but nlite does support POSReady 2009, and I made a Intel AHCI driver integrated into it, installed successfully in Virtualbox (Have no chance to install to a real machine yet).