problems with firefox3.6.28 for nt4

winnt5

I found this modified version of firefox3.6.28 for nt4 from roytam1.When I try to run it.It says it required msimg32.dll.Then I replace it but I recieve an error message about gdi32.dll.Is it really compatible with nt4:huh:?How can I run it without these errors.

7 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Check msimg32.dll with Dependency Walker you might have wrong version?

thank you very much.I download the 2000 version of msimg32.dll.It maybe invokes some functions only in windows2000.

I checked it out myself. If you test XUL.dll in Dependency Walker it is not compatible with NT4 Service Pack 6. Msimg32 might be made compatible if it and Gdi32 are taken from from Microsoft Windows 2000 (''NT 5.0'' 5.00.1515.1 Professional) but this is only a part of the incompatibility.

4 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

我自己检查了一下。如果您在Dependency Walker中测试XUL.dll,则它与NT4 Service Pack 6不兼容。如果Msimg32和Gdi32来自Microsoft Windows 2000(“ NT 5.0” 5.00.1515.1 Professional),则可能使Msimg32兼容。只有一部分不兼容。

That's interesting.I will try this.It maybe can solve some render problems are exit in firefox3.6.28 for nt4.

• 1 month later...

The suggestion I made for the GDI32 up grade was the least and easiest but not the best. USER32 and GDI32 can be updated with the next versions of ''NT 5.0'' above 1515 which allow the use of the modern Msimg32. Check with Dependency Walker.

Another Msimg32 to try is from KernelEx (Win9x). It doesn't use forwarding and has fewer dependencies.

When upgrading Gdi32.dll / User32.dll, also upgrade with matching Gdi.exe / User.exe.

• 1 month later...

I don't think Scanbin checks hard-coded address references. These require *32.dll and *.exe to be a matched set from the same build.  I recall seeing such references in an NT User32.dll some years ago.

Jumper lets talk about ME Gdi.exe and User.exe. Scanbin specializes in 16 bit executables, it has DLLs used, Exported and Imported functions, Address tables, Hexa dump and general information. It is not so good with VXDs though. Gdi.exe only links to Kernel32 with no indirect calls to other libraries. User.exe directly links to comm.drv; ddemi.dll; gdi.exe; keyboard.drv; kernel386.exe; mouse.drv and system.dll. This is the service pack User.exe that I am talking about and the Gdi.exe was the original.

Ok, firstly, win2k/NT4 is NOT ME, they are two very different, although somewhat visually sililar operating systems.

Not sure if KernelEX, being intended for 9x/ME would be of any help on an NT based system like 2k, but then I was never a fan of NT at all until win 7, (and only win 7) so perhaps someone more into the whole 2k/xp era could be of more help.

Using my limited XP experience, (before ''upgrading that A64 skt 754 machine to ME) as a guide, I would say, make sure you have all updates, especially explorer, media player, and directx, for your os, and if that fails, then explore compatibility options.  if someone has something akin to kernelex for nt4 then by all means use it, KernelEx itself is gold for 9x/ME (well only tersted on ME but still it is nice).

Make sure your graphics card has hardware acceleration, and make sure you have the latest java runtime and adobe flash your os supports as well.

21 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Jumper lets talk about ME Gdi.exe and User.exe. Scanbin specializes in 16 bit executables, it has DLLs used, Exported and Imported functions, Address tables, Hexa dump and general information. It is not so good with VXDs though. Gdi.exe only links to Kernel32 with no indirect calls to other libraries. User.exe directly links to comm.drv; ddemi.dll; gdi.exe; keyboard.drv; kernel386.exe; mouse.drv and system.dll. This is the service pack User.exe that I am talking about and the Gdi.exe was the original.

As another ME power user myself, I'm happy to talk about all ME topics as well.  I have limited experience with 95c and 98 as I upgraded to ME as soon as it came out, but I know at least a handful of ME tweaks that theoretically should work for 98/95 too/

Scanbin can be run on 98/ME, I think that Psapi has to be replaced for the install. You can choose your directory of testing and I chose the WinNT directory when testing the NT4 User.exe and NT4 Gdi.exe. Do not try and find all calling modules when using Scanbin as the system will run out of resources scanning all of the hard drive but will be OK for a small directory. The first scan is for called modules, it is the second scan for calling modules that tips the scales on resources.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Yeah I just gave it a try, and it does indeed run on ME if you replace Psapi.    I made the mistake of running the machine out of resources trying to find all calling modules, but it does indeed work.

For reference, the equivalent directory to C:/winNt,  on ME (and 98/se) on a default install would Be C:/Windows