What to do with 8GB of RAM on XP

obstinateXP

6 hours ago, j7n said:

How can you be certain that the swap file is working if most of your tools show that there is no swap file and it only appears in some unsual situations?

Read again (or try implementing it): only one (hardly at all most) of the three tools I mentioned show there is no swap, and it is the very basic dos tool used to create the swapfile in the first place. The existence of this phanthom swapfile is picked up (other than by the tool used to create it) in most usual situations, by at leat two common (and relative to XP, sophisticated) apps.

Once you prove that (or disprove it , who knows, I aint Elon Musk, or what have you, but a pewr lil fella), tell me how to make the profiles of sp52 and 360chrome to run out of that you don't care to try to see really exists (or not).

But test it and prove it first.

Edited by dmiranda

Do you mean Serpent by sp52?

There are two configuration setting for moving the disk cache in Serpent. I would still want the rest of my profile to be on disk.

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory

browser.cache.offline.parent_directory

I think 360Chrome accepts a command-line parameter for this. But I don't use 360Chome.

--disk-cache-dir

Thanks. I had already browser.cache.disk.parent_directory set to go to z:\cache]profilename. I'm trying now browser.cache.offline.parent_directory, which I created in about:config (string), works ( I can see Z:\cahe]proflilename/cache2 populating. .

As per 360chrome it is easy: assuming you use the 360Loader.ini in @articfoxie;s mods, you only have to set the following line"

[Environment]
Profile=z:\Chrome\User Data
If like me you have a preset group of files you want to keep constant in the user data\default folder, you will have to adjust the corresponding path in  your bats.

I will keep tinkering to see how yo move the sp52 profiles to rabmdisk and repot

@Dave-H, consider moving this and the last @7jn posts somewhere to https://msfn.org/board/forum/201-browsers-working-on-older-nt-family-oses/?

Cheers

Edited by dmiranda

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Too funny.  A member from over 20 years ago that was only here for a week.

image.png.918dc31d18283d128e557b357c74556f.png

Yes, and they stopped me using the username I originally wanted to use too!
:lol:

18 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

I could also be an error in the post count somehow

Nope, because whomever it was bragged about his 100th post.

Then somebody pointed out that it only took THREE DAYS.

My guess is that moderators stepped in, "warned him", and he voluntarily abandoned MSFN after the "warning".

Who knows, as I wasn't here 20 years ago.

image.thumb.png.21bad860078515e13046841e25883b3f.png

23 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Thanks. I had already browser.cache.disk.parent_directory set to go to z:\cache]profilename. I'm trying now browser.cache.offline.parent_directory, which I created in about:config (string), works ( I can see Z:\cahe]proflilename/cache2 populating. .

As per 360chrome it is easy: assuming you use the 360Loader.ini in @articfoxie;s mods, you only have to set the following line"

[Environment]
Profile=z:\Chrome\User Data
If like me you have a preset group of files you want to keep constant in the user data\default folder, you will have to adjust the corresponding path in  your bats.

I will keep tinkering to see how yo move the sp52 profiles to rabmdisk and repot

@DaveH, consider moving this and the last @7jn posts somewhere to https://msfn.org/board/forum/201-browsers-working-on-older-nt-family-oses/?

Cheers

Dave is for ever young. I had been mostly silent (except some so-called witty remarks) until 2017, when I summoned I rather leave oblivion or see XP users fly like crazy to W7.  Dave was already there when I was (mostly) mute (why say something there being so many saying the right thing?).

Well, to make up for calling the wrong dave (have I?) and maybe to make him twitch an eyebrow:

SP52 (aka serpent52): go to about:profiles, create a new fresh profile somewhere in the ram drive, open it, close it, delete its contents and copy all the stuff in your current appdata profile EXCEPT (I think, parent.lock). Open it again and you have a profile running from invisible (for x86 xp systems) RAM.  The possibilities are infinite, hehe.

360Chrome variants: USE the VERY GOOD 360Loader thinghie in Articfoxy's mods. In the ini, in the environment section change the thing to

[Environment]
Profile=z:\Chrome

It aint 10X faster, but a few miliseconds indeed it is, and you can run 3 o 4 Sp2 and at least one 360chrome while doing other non-too intensive cpu stuff, depending on your specs.

I will edit this to include, if I can do it, mounting mailnews into RAM. [EDIT] Thunderbird (AKA mailnews) is a rock, it has such a small footprint and gives so much, even with thousands of emails in cache. I wont touch it. I guess it can be done, but she is good enough already, why push her for that extra last kick... I won't make the same mistake again, lol.

I'm getting old, damn,

Edited by dmiranda

On 5/28/2021 at 5:42 AM, jaclaz said:

Maybe - just maybe - the *whatever* Memory Booster "sees" is a sort of "virtual" page file (somehow residing in memory or however not on a volume/drive) :dubbio:i.e. something more like a peek in the way the system behaves internally and not a "proper" or "normal" page file...

This point reminded me of something of interest. Since I started playing with this tweak, I noticed that the occasional (2 or 3 times a week) BSOD was due to a failure to write a file. So (1) I set up memory booster to not optimize RAM automatically, while maintaining processor optimization, weak as it may be. The same thing happened when (2) I installed process lasso (which was (is?) free for use in XP). So I had to tweak pl to not trim ram unless hitting 75%, otherwise it would erase something not written to file, resulting in said BSOD. Now that I'm spending most of my browsing on ram, I have to further change the trim settings, now trying the ones in the pic. Only act at 80%, and for processes with over 1.2mb committed memory (which in my set up -extensions and whatnots- is the anchor of three concurrently running sp52 browser).     

Noname.png