Diagnosing boot and app load times

davexnet

Hi all -

not talking about metro apps, regular desktop apps.  My boot time is about 45 seconds from the BIOS POST beep to desktop with icons appearing,

that includes maybe 5 seconds of me typing my PIN (local account only).  Regular HDD, Fast Boot disabled.

I wonder sometimes if the system is working as it should, I did at one time disable Superfetch/prefetch and it did not make an appreciable difference.

This whole forum seems quiet.  I guess Win 8 usage is minimal now.  I still like it ! I saw this thread (below), it was busy, but died in 2015

Anybody still around who may be able to help me check if things are working as they should?

Thanks

I'm updating the thread, I downloaded the toolkit and ran

xbootmgr -trace boot -prepsystem

After 6 boots from this tool, and a reorganization of the files that it does, boot up was reduced from 70 seconds to 35.

I have to ask, why doesn't Windows, in it's normal operation, maintain this level of tuning?

I thought it was supposed to be self-optimizing? Or does the tool detect and fix something that Windows by

itself doesn't identify?

Windows self-optiziming? :lol:

Never heard of such a thing.

I have always struggled at making sense of this tool at times. I always compare boot time to uptime. If I have a long uptime system, boot time is unimportant. If they are not long uptime systems, then I would compare boot time to disk type. I would never put a modern OS (Vista or newer, but also probably anything if possible) on a 5400rpm disk. For a 7200rpm disk I expect boot times to be maximum 1 minute. For SSD on used OS (not new install) it would be 30 seconds.