Windows 10 18363.778 (Build 1909)

Lifell

1 hour ago, SkyySX said:

Hmm I see, I might just test in A VM them and see what I end up with.

Just tested it, works fine.

Edited by Lifell

I found  a much easier way to take temporary ownership of System32, rather than messing with folder permissions.  I installed  TakeOwnershipEx-1.2.0.1-Win8.exe from Winaero.  While it's for Windows 8.1, it works fine in Windows 10

Edited by dlangton

On 4/26/2020 at 11:33 AM, Lifell said:

Just tested it, works fine.

22 hours ago, daveo76 said:

You can try but I recommend to try it on VM. As I don't think it will work

Well according to Lifell it does work! :D

And just a tip for everyone here, please for the love of all don't mess with file ownerships of Windows files, there's a far easier and cleaner way to replace the files, use this:

https://github.com/jschicht/RunAsTI

It will spawn a CMD that has Super Admin Privileges, that way you can rename, copy and replace Windows files without botching up the permissions.

4 minutes ago, SkyySX said:

Well according to Lifell it does work! :D

And just a tip for everyone here, please for the love of all don't mess with file ownerships of Windows files, there's a far easier and cleaner way to replace the files, use this:

https://github.com/jschicht/RunAsTI

It will spawn a CMD that has Super Admin Privileges, that way you can rename, copy and replace Windows files without botching up the permissions.

What I do is boot from USB WinPE and change the files that way

What I did was simply rename the 2 .dll's to something silly.

They will still be in use and un-deletable while the current session of DWM is running. After that simply paste the 2 .dll's from the archive file in the "system32" folder and restart your PC (or restart DWM).

Then I deleted the 2 old files and I had AeroGlass working. I obviously made a backup prior to all this.

Many thanks...followed directions and BAM!  Successfully updated to .773 with AG working like it should.

Did the same thing as you LifeII, took ownership of the 2 .dll's, renamed to old.dll, copied the archive dll's to System32, restarted.

Well... found out that if I run SFC(System File Check) it will "replace" the 2 working files with the "new" ones in the course of correcting abnormalities.

Not the best scenario, but just have to settle not running SFC... unless you have to... if you don't want to go through the whole replacement process again.