Nlite slipstreaming sata drivers for windows 2000 sp4 install

cov3rt

it's been a little while since i last tried experimenting with trying to load / slipstream sata drivers or use specifically the nlite program. i've never been able to get it work and instrunctions elsewhere were always confusing. today i did some research again, for one, it's mentioned you need two files, the .sys file of the driver and the txtsetup.oem to be slipstreamed. i have searched the internet and found three sources in particular, blackwingcat's sata / ahci driver which works up to ich10 i think, and the amd version which supports sb600, sb700 and sb800 chipsets, and also the uniATA driver which seems to support all controllers, amd, intel, nforce, via, etc. 

now the problem is, i obviously do not know which exact steps / instructions to follow on how exactly to burn a slipstreamed windows 2000 sp4 cd with the included slipstreamed drivers. i currently have one page to follow which the name of the site article is "2 Ways to Integrate Floppy SATA RAID Driver into Windows XP CD".  another issue is that there are all these different nLite versions. i know some support windows 2000, but is there a particular version that's "better" for burning ISOs for windows 2000 sp4 installations? for example, there was some post on the below thread here "https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=27006", saying how later versions of nlite may break things, but there wasn't any more detailed explanation of what. this was in late 2010. 

so let's see i download nlite 1.01 final and wan't to integrate the uniATA driver files and / or intel / amd ones. will this work fine or would i need a newer version of nlite? also, would there be a conflict if i put all three the uniATA and intel / amd in the same slipstreamed cd? my goal is hopefully to create a custom windows 2000 sp4 installation disc with functional support for all sata controllers so that i can install windows 2000 on any laptop that has a sata controller only and can't revert to ide / legacy compatibility mode. i'm not worried too much on speed and performance, i mean ata 133 is still pretty fast, and random read performance is really more important, and if you have an ssd, even if limited to ata 133, you still will have a relatively fast system. even the most recent ssd's with the fastest random read 4k queue depth 1 such as the samsung 860 pro can only manage maybe around 40-45 MB/s.

I use nLite 1.4.9.3 and simply integrate BWC's AHCI and RAID drivers as textmode drivers. Never any issues.

Except when nLite is run on media that has been modified by HFSLIP 2000 beforehand though (such issues are not related to AHCI though); but things are fine if done the other way around.

Edited by win32

11 hours ago, win32 said:

I use nLite 1.4.9.3 and simply integrate BWC's AHCI and RAID drivers as textmode drivers. Never any issues.

Except when nLite is run on media that has been modified by HFSLIP 2000 beforehand though (such issues are not related to AHCI though); but things are fine if done the other way around.

thanks for the info, it seems that nlite 1.4.9.3 would be good to start then? also, i was wondering, have you ever tested the uniATA textmode driver? also, can i combine all of them in the same slipstream or will there be conflicts? for uniATA, i'll wan't to use version 0.46.4.8, as it seems to be the last "Stable" version indicated from the site, though as an additional question, there are debug versions. would there be a problem using the debug versions as in affecting performance, and what benefits would they have? i posted a pic below of the driver package i have of uniATA btw, i'm assuming i need the two boxed files only?

2kuniata.PNG

Edited by cov3rt

11 minutes ago, cov3rt said:

thanks for the info, it seems that nlite 1.4.9.3 would be good to start then?

Yes, unless you are using W2k Pro to build the OS disc, in which case use 1.4.9.1.

11 minutes ago, cov3rt said:

...have you ever tested the uniATA textmode driver? also, can i combine all of them in the same slipstream or will there be conflicts?

I think uniATA is not helpful in this context.

it's all fine and dandy if i can get through the setup phase with the slipstreamed drivers, but what about chipset drivers once you installed the operating system. what i mean by this is for example, if you run the intel inf update for let's say an ich8-m chipset, will it override or have a problematic effect on the blackwingcat's sata driver or would it not get affected and i won't need to do anything additional? i noticed that blackwingcat's modified intel sata driver package has a setup installer. it seems logical to run this after i installed all previous chipset inf updates so that all controllers or other devices are updated or is this not required? 

however, the amd package only contains the regular inf, .cat file, .sys and txtsetup.oem. amd chipset updates have usually been a little different than intel chipset inf updates. for the particular laptop i'm experimenting with, it only has a TPM driver listed on the official driver page under the chipset category. also, should i be setting the option in bios to AHCI if there is an option to do so, and if not, are there any issues if i don't, i understand that RAID is also another option listed in the readme of the intel packages at least, but i'm unlikely to ever select that particular option. 

Edited by cov3rt

On 4/19/2020 at 11:23 PM, win32 said:

so i went and made a nlite splipstreamed windows 2000 sp4 installation disc ( including both the amd package in the multiple folder option, as well as all of the intel drivers for the intel package ), and choose the textmode option. i put it in a 2011 or 2012 year laptop ( uses a amd a4 apu ) with sata interface to test, and i got to a point where it got stuck on the "setup is starting windows 2000". so i was wondering what could be the issue and solution in fixing this problem. i did a google search and the only two suggestions i got was to make sure EHCI is enabled in the BIOS and / or install with ACPI disabled by pressing f5 or f7 early in setup phase. so the laptop i was testing on did not have a EHCI option in the bios, and i didn't choose the f5 or f7 option yet. also, it's another person's laptop so i don't wan't to risk messing it up, and from what i know on ACPI, i don't think disabling it would be a viable option as some things may end up not being detected ( i only would do this mainly on windows 95 systems, and to a lesser extent, if at all on 98SE ). i also tested by pressing f6 one time and without pressing f6 from early in setup, but it still would hang for a while on the "Setup is starting windows 2000" portion, and so i just would shut it off. the only thing i can think of so far of why i get the hanging problem with the laptop i tested was simply that the sata controllers / chipset is not supported and is causing issues and can't be run without some other unofficial patches / integrated drivers, etc, and that there isn't anything wrong with the nlite part, or is there?

Edited by cov3rt

3 hours ago, win32 said:

That's probably not due to SATA controllers. It's due to your crappy UEFI firmware. You should try replacing your acpi.sys with this one: http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1974336.html

i was not able to download the "acpi.cab" from that link, and waybackmachine didn't work either. however, i was able to download a package which apparently contains the patched acpi.sys from here "https://msfn.org/board/topic/181245-solved-problems-installing-windows-2000-sp4-on-a-thinkpad-t420/". however, i don't know what i need to do next. it seems i would need to integrate specifically the "acpi.sys" file or multiple files?..into nlite again to make a updated iso, but i was wondering if i could get the specific steps to do that and / or which exact files i need to be putting in the nlite integration. also, i was wondering if this will require me to do anything after installing the operating system, like for example, will any chipset inf updates affect the acpi.sys fix and require me to re update it?. i already asked if whether or not i need to use the setup of blackwingcat's intel package for the sata / ahci controllers AFTER all other inf update packages, but i havent got a response for that yet. also, for the amd builds, blackwingcat's package doesn't have any other stuff in it, other than the infs themselves / textmode file. it seems like the update process on amd systems may be more straightforward? however, from my experience, i've always had more trouble with getting systems to work properly with amd / ati chipsets, whether it was on windows 95, 98SE, or 2000. their chipset updating process is a bit unclear, like it always seems like there is some kind of chipset update i'm missing. i think it's also possible that i couldn't even get the gpu driver to load onto systems that specifically mentioned as having support for windows 2000 for that particular laptop, yet despite installing all missing drivers, etc, the gpu driver would  not work or would cause a black screen. 

On 4/30/2020 at 12:58 PM, cov3rt said:

i was able to download a package which apparently contains the patched acpi.sys from here "https://msfn.org/board/topic/181245-solved-problems-installing-windows-2000-sp4-on-a-thinkpad-t420/". however, i don't know what i need to do next.

If you are talking about the nLite addon I posted in that topic, it contains BlackWingCat's extended core v16a, the patched acpi.sys, and a version of videoprt.sys that doesn't cause the setup to crash. It is meant to be used with nLite through the hotfixes, add-ons, and update packs option.

3 hours ago, Ximonite said:

If you are talking about the nLite addon I posted in that topic, it contains BlackWingCat's extended core v16a, the patched acpi.sys, and a version of videoprt.sys that doesn't cause the setup to crash. It is meant to be used with nLite through the hotfixes, add-ons, and update packs option.

yeh, but what exactly do i do in detailed instructions with nlite and the acpi related stuff? the only thing i found through my own experience and understanding was a page listing a updated windows xp acpi.sys file, in which you would convert it to "acpi_sy_" file, then replace the old "acpi_sy_" file in the extracted directory ( to which you would use to inject into nlite ) with the new "acpi_sy_" file. so i was thinking i could simply replicate this but for a windows 2000 build and use that acpi.sys in that extended kernel v16a package you referenced to. but you also mentioned videoprt.sys, does it mean i should also convert that file to "videoprt_sy_", and replace the old one with it?

you know, a lot of these things are confusing to me and it doesn't help that a lot of my questions often get unanswered, leaving me with no other choice but finding a way that works, but even if i manage to, i may not know why. as for the sata part, i was able to install with achi enabled in the laptop i was working with, i simply had the extracted windows 2000 sp4 operating system and integrated in nlite, then put both blackwingcat's amd sb600,700, and 800 chipset drivers in the multiple driver folder option after selecting the driver option, as well as the intel drivers, and made sure to select all and selected the textmode driver option, and also the bootable iso option from before. though i was browsing the forums and it appears that the driver i was using for amd was a little older than the newer one and may not be the most stable, so now i need to recompile with the newer ones and remove the older ones.  

but i also don't know what to do with the acpi related fixes and like i said, unanswered questions doesn't help and provide me with a practical and feasible solution. 

btw, below is the page for that windows xp updated acpi fix solution - 

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019/10/updated-windows-xp-acpisys.html

On 5/1/2020 at 11:14 PM, cov3rt said:

yeh, but what exactly do i do in detailed instructions with nlite and the acpi related stuff?

In nLite, make sure the option called "Hotfixes, Add-ons and Update Packs" is selected (picture included).

pic1.png

Then, click "Insert", browse to the zip file, and click "Open" in the explorer window that appears.

pic2.png

This adds Extended Core v16a, the patched version of acpi.sys you are trying to add, and the latest stable version of videoprt.sys. Nothing else needs to be done to make the patched acpi.sys work. Also, after installation, do NOT install Extended Core because this will replace acpi.sys with an older version and videoprt.sys with a version that is known to be buggy.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Ximonite
Updated photo links

19 hours ago, Ximonite said:

In nLite, make sure the option called "Hotfixes, Add-ons and Update Packs" is selected (picture included).

pic1.png

Then, click "Insert", browse to the zip file, and click "Open" in the explorer window that appears.

pic2.png

This adds Extended Core v16a, the patched version of acpi.sys you are trying to add, and the latest stable version of videoprt.sys. Nothing else needs to be done to make the patched acpi.sys work. Also, after installation, do NOT install Extended Core because this will replace acpi.sys with an older version and videoprt.sys with a version that is known to be buggy.

Hope this helps. :)

the instructions help, but the problem is, i don't even use the extended kernel v16a in my builds. i use the update rollup v11 with filename "Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20141130-x86-ENU.7z". another issue is any complications that would occur by integrating these after os install, such as when updating the chipset through intel inf update or some amd / ati chipset package. and i was wondering if it's possible to just integrated only the acpi and videoprt.sys stuff as to not cause any other complications, i guess the same way or similar way to that xp reference i made earlier, or is that even more complicated or irrelevant? 

Edited by cov3rt

i actually had a fully updated windows 2000 system with that update rollup v11 version i mentioned to check the acpi and videoprt.sys files and it shows the videoprt.sys as slightly newer at version "5.0.2195.6835", where as the one in the extended kernel v16a package was "5.0.2195.6833". now the question is whether the newer one i use is buggy. as for the acpi.sys version, the system with rollup v11 without extended kernel v16a shows as "5.0.2195.6920", where as the one in extended kernel v16a is "5.0.2195.6921". it's important to mention that the update rollup v11 i use gets installed late in the update process for the builds i work with as i have it specifically set up this way in the order of updates, tinkering with this may cause changes that are unfeasible to manage, since i have to find when or where exactly there are any breaks or errors and what to do about them which usually is caused by installing something too early or too late. 

Edited by cov3rt