Using XP with UTM Virtual Machine on iPad Pro

Bruninho

17 hours ago, Bruninho said:

I am currently installing a Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit VM for my dad on his iPad Pro (using UTM, ofc).

You can do that?!

Can you install any 64-bit OSes?

c

33 minutes ago, cc333 said:

You can do that?!

Can you install any 64-bit OSes?

c

You probably could, but performance would be impossible and terrible. iPad Pro has only 4GB and UTM app does not let you use more than 1.5 GB of RAM dedicated to the virtual machine. It's better to install 32-bit old OSses or even 16-bit old OSes. This one is XP 32-bit and is already a little bit laggy. iPad Pro has 4 cores, one is already dedicated to the VM, I have to try out with 2 cores yet if it improves anything. Also, I'm looking forward to trying Lubuntu 32-bit edition.

There's no point in trying x64 if you can only have 1.5GB of RAM.

https://github.com/utmapp/UTM

Edited by Bruninho

On 4/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, Bruninho said:

You probably could, but performance would be impossible and terrible. iPad Pro has only 4GB and UTM app does not let you use more than 1.5 GB of RAM dedicated to the virtual machine.

Hmm, OK. 

On 4/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, Bruninho said:

This one is XP 32-bit and is already a little bit laggy.

Maybe you can try 2000 with BWC's extended core?  With some careful tweaking, it can run much of the software XP-32 can, but with somewhat less overhead. 

c

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

Hmm, OK. 

Maybe you can try 2000 with BWC's extended core?  With some careful tweaking, it can run much of the software XP-32 can, but with somewhat less overhead. 

c

I already tried porting my Win 2000 SP4 + BWC VM from VMWare. Slow as hell too. I think Win 98 can run reasonably well - As well as Win NT 4.0.
I tried several Linux distros and they are slow as hell too. I already know why all my VMs are slow - UTM does not have KVM and never will, because iPad does not have the requirements to do so.

I might try out Win NT 4 this time as well as another Raspbian Buster attempt.

The only VM I have running smoothly is MS DOS 6.22 + Windows For Workgroups 3.11. I have even networking and Outlook 5.0 working if I get stunnel working from another machine (or iSH on iPad).

EDIT: Just came back to add to the list of VMs to try out: Win NT 3.51. With either 3.51 or 4.0, I want to try and install an old version of WAMP Server.

Edited by Bruninho

Hold on a second, XP x86? Isn't the iPad using ARM? I'm asking 'cause many mobile devices are not based on x86 architecture and have ARM which has a different arrangement of transistors meant to use less power and has therefore different instructions. Because of that, if you try to run an x86 OS on such an hardware, it's gonna have to translate each and every instruction, so it's gonna be extremely slow as it's gonna do that back and forth all the time (ARM -> x86 -> ARM).

Sadly, the only Windows OS which does support ARM architecture is Windows 10 (afaik), so I don't think you have much choice.

One of the things you can do, however, is to try with linux distros (like you've done), BUT choosing the ARM variant instead. That should work and it should be faster. I did that back in 2016 when I was bored on an Android phone and I managed to make XP x86 and Win10 ARM install and boot, however the latter - although heavier - was way faster due to the native ARM architecture and instructions.

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

Sadly, the only Windows OS which does support ARM architecture is Windows 10 (afaik), so I don't think you have much choice.

There is also Windows 8.x-based Windows RT. But I don't think it's possible to natively install non-Apple OSes on Apple's ARM hardware. If virtualization is possible as opposed to emulation, it should be faster though. Problem is that the non-x86 versions of Windows are not renowned for their compatibility, and if anything, use emulation to run x86 stuff.

Edited by win32

38 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

There is Windows CE.

Windows Mobile and Windows Phone are branches of WinCE, just like XP and Vista are branches of NT.

Just an update, I gave up on XP. I did an Ubuntu Server 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) 32-bit install for my dad on his iPhone X (has more power than his 1st gen iPad Pro 2015 12.9 inch, actually).

Runs smoothly on his iPhone X and he can SSH into it to work from his iPad Pro using the iSH app or any other app to access webroot such as Coda Editor. Practically a portable web server.

As for XP, screw it. It's too slow, the more updates I install, the slower it gets. I had tried to make a NT 4.0 install, but even the SPx updates were messy to install and I lost my patience.

Currently, we have the ubuntu on his phone and I have a MSDOS 6.22 + WFW 3.11 on my 2nd gen iPad Pro 2017 12.9 inch. I might recreate a Win 98SE VM or try again W2k, that was also slow as hell last time I tried. Actually, I want to put a lightweight linux distro with XFCE desktop, I tried many distros with bad luck. Even ReactOS I tried.

So, in a word, if you want to run newer OSes such as Win 10, 7 or XP, try at least with an iPhone X, 11 or the 2020 iPad Pro, which has 6GB of RAM (supposedly) so you can double your RAM for the VM (from 1024 to 2048). I'd rather try elementaryOS or Win 2000.

Edited by Bruninho