Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

FF35 needs 500MB of file cache otherwise I get the restrictions that are placed on your computer error. This error occurs if I go to 390MB - MaxFileCache=400000. I need to set maximum file cache to about 390MB for DXVA2 antialiasing to work on PotPlayer I will explain further about this in "Windows 98 as high quality video player" topic, If file cache is allowed to grow too far beyond 500MB than it encroaches on the GDI resources. A good check here is to start up CodeBlocks 10. There should be about 13% left. If using CodeBlocks 13 then there will be less then 6% and too little left to use it without some small graphical problems.

An update to this my Commit Charge is fixed at 764kB from Process Explorer's System Information at all times and is a maximum value so I do not understand this and there is a restriction in being able to control PotPlayer probably because of this. Where is the maximum Commit Charge setting located in registry that Process Explorer is talking about? Reading Wiki, Commit Charge is the current page file size plus the physical memory available for pageable contents and excludes RAM not assigned for page filing.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Yes, we miss Rudy!

I have set [vcache]MaxFileCache=393216 for many years. My MS system inforformation doesn't work with more than 2GB RAM. I have to reduce phys memory (MaxPhysPage) accordingly. At my request Rudy said "Windows ME MSINFO32 definitely has a problem, probably an incorrect signed math bug.....You can also substitute the MSINFO32.EXE from Windows 98SE which works correctly" and I can use VWin32.

Running Firefox 48.0.2:

Memory.png

Edited by schwups

There is a VWin32.vxd downloadable but what is the program you are running for VMin32 Memory Status is it downloadable? I removed my Rudy Lowe patching comment once I realized it was kB not MB of Commit Charge, and mine is maxed out, and this is a problem I think, and I would like to set this maximum value higher if possible.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

Pity!  The development of TenFourFox will end. (http://tenfourfox.blogspot.com)  I've followed the blog and so roytam's
Firefox 45 builds the last months. I tried and ran every build on ME. I don't expect any support for Firefox on Win ME. I have some bugs.
On March 12th was mentioned (tenfourfox.blogspot.com) "....at least I am able now to see that it's clearly a problem in the JavaScript parser generating something incorrectly, but I'm still not able to tell where the specific deficiency lies."? I really don't know whether and to what extent those errors can be transferred to windows. But my errors may only appear here on ME. I never compared it on XP. On XP I use Firefox 52.9, NewMoon and MyPal. RT's Firefox 45 is therefore not an alternative to use.
The normal older versions 45.9 or 48.0.2 are much more stable and quite suitable for everyday use (75-80% trouble-free / Javascript enabled). Only a few percent of the web leads to a browser crash and restart.

I played a bit with forks. Surely there are no or hardly any advantages on ME.

Icecat 31.8 (windows version): It doesn't start. Problem begins with no support for _vsnprintf_s.

[msvcrt.dll]
_vsnprintf_s=  

Any values for it in the stubs.ini haven't accomplished something useful.

Cyberfox 32bit 48.0.2 behaves like Firefox 48.0.2. Already integrated ClassicThemeRestorer and a JS Toggler.
It doesn't run on XP. Apparently blocked on purpose.

PCXFirefox 35.0.1 x86 doesn't run.
48.0.2 starts with Kext entries:
[ntdll.dll]
_aulldiv=
_allmul=

I've IceCat 31.8 running:

[ADVAPI32.dll]
SystemFunction014=
SystemFunction020=
SystemFunction022=
SystemFunction026=
SystemFunction028=

[msvcrt.dll]
_controlfp_s=>msvcr80.dll:
_snwprintf_s=>msvcr80.dll:
_vsnprintf_s=>msvcr80.dll:
_vsnwprintf_s=>msvcr80.dll:
_wcslwr_s=>msvcr80.dll:
_wfopen_s=>msvcr80.dll:
fopen_s=>msvcr80.dll:
strcpy_s=>msvcr80.dll:
strtok_s=>msvcr80.dll:
swprintf_s=>msvcr80.dll:
wcsncpy_s=>msvcr80.dll:

[ntdll.dll]
RtlRandom=

I added all missing API'S found with ImportPatcher. RTLRandom is important to run icecat.

-----------------------

I believe these are good (no problem so far):

[ntdll.dll]
_aulldiv=>ROS\ntdll.dll:
_allmul=>ROS\ntdll.dll: 

Edited by schwups

IceCat 38.8 runs with these additional kext entries, too!!!:thumbup It is the first time that a Gecko 38 browser runs on my Win ME.

Screenshot  - additionally installed addons: ClassicThemeRestorer, QuickJava and PlainOldFavorites - German Language Pack

Edited by schwups

Impressive, very impressive. Hows the progress so far for websites like Youtube and formula1.com? I have a decent stress test, can it browse through one of the Moodle LMS sandbox demos on moodle.org? At least browse the SCORM lessons there. Just a curiosity from me here.

Hallo Bruninho,

the youtube website is stable (Player (stats): codecs VP9 (243) / opus (251) only) on Firefox 48.0.2 /45.9 /Cyberfox 48.0.2 (WebRTC peer connection must be disabled in CF).
I don't remember any crashes. But this means not all movies can be played.
RT's Firefox 45.9.33 or K-Meleon 76 have better support to play all videos (ffmpeg).
These are slightly less stable. An error in XUL.dll can be possible and with that error the browser will crash.
I mean the site formula1.com is not always well rendered and FF48/CF48 don't play the videos. Many icons are missing. But they don't crash.
I haven't made a complete moodle check with CF48/FF48 - only three minutes. Moodle.org generally makes a good impression.
Moodle sandbox demo worked here. SCORM lessons? not checked. Bruninho, this is a snapshot, tomorrow everything can be different on the web.

23 hours ago, schwups said:

Hallo Bruninho,

the youtube website is stable (Player (stats): codecs VP9 (243) / opus (251) only) on Firefox 48.0.2 /45.9 /Cyberfox 48.0.2 (WebRTC peer connection must be disabled in CF).
I don't remember any crashes. But this means not all movies can be played.
RT's Firefox 45.9.33 or K-Meleon 76 have better support to play all videos (ffmpeg).
These are slightly less stable. An error in XUL.dll can be possible and with that error the browser will crash.
I mean the site formula1.com is not always well rendered and FF48/CF48 don't play the videos. Many icons are missing. But they don't crash.
I haven't made a complete moodle check with CF48/FF48 - only three minutes. Moodle.org generally makes a good impression.
Moodle sandbox demo worked here. SCORM lessons? not checked. Bruninho, this is a snapshot, tomorrow everything can be different on the web.

Thanks for the curiosity!

• 2 weeks later...

Right now, at the moment, I'm wondering: is there any hope for Firefox 49 on 98? (and yes, I read everything on this topic) Also, I am really glad to see such nice project of running modern browser on a 1998s OS. Really, keep continuing.