Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

4 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

MOZCRT is a renamed MOZCRT19.dll last used in FF8, it has some rather updated functions which is best shown with an upload of comparison differences. LOGONSRV and RLOCAL32 are found in U98SESP3.64; - just extract DSCLIENT.exe. Functions in NETUI1.dll will have to match RADMIN32 functions if used when Radmin32 strings have been altered. TQUERY is from Office XP I think, vs is 10.109.3705.2 not all functions are there to replace QUERY.dll but a lot are.  MaxAPI.dll is to correct a "MAX" module name that was missing in DW for a module. MaxAPI.dll is a PaperPort11 module - which is WinME compatible. NLS.dll from LH5381 will do. SLFS.sys from LH5048 will do. SDBAPI is from MESP1 which is SP2 AFAIK; - just extract INSTMSIA.exe.

Thanks for the explanation. 

4 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

I would like to know the Core.ini - (KexStubs is missing) details.

I just meant here that Kexstubs (stubs or Kstub823) isn't in the "contents" lines of your test Core.ini, so FF 24 and higher will not run.

I've been testing later versions of Firefox (53-60). Added the following to Kexstubs.ini:

[KERNEL32.DLL]

SleepConditionVariableCS=
WakeAllConditionVariable=
WakeConditionVariable=
InitializeConditionVariable=

and this to KnownDLLs:

"API-MS-WIN-CORE-FIBERS-L1-1-1"="KERNEL32.DLL"
"API-MS-WIN-CORE-LOCALIZATION-OBSOLETE-L1-2-0"="KERNEL32.DLL"

so now when I try to run them these two errors appear:

errors.PNG.fffd79a20b550e25dad64886d5fea358.PNG

after which they crash no matter what I choose.

Edited by tyukok

InitializaSListHead=
VerSetConditionMask=

These function are already in KernelEx so they should not be used in KexStubs as well. You can use Ktree to look for functions used by KernelEx.

The two API set values are good except LCIDToLocaleName will have to be redirected in KexStubs to NLS.dll if it is used and GetSystemDefaultLocalName will be a problem as well unless GetSystemDefaultLanguageID works as a replacement function. 

Just now, Goodmaneuver said:

InitializaSListHead=
VerSetConditionMask=

These functions are already in KernelEx so they should not be used in KexStubs as well. You can use Ktree to look for functions used by KernelEx.

The two API set values are good except LCIDToLocaleName will have to be redirected in KexStubs to NLS.dll if it is used and GetSystemDefaultLocalName will be a problem too but I think a suitable function redirect with KexStubs is GetUserDefaultLCID or GetSystemDefaultLCID.

1 hour ago, Goodmaneuver said:

These function are already in KernelEx so they should not be used in KexStubs as well.

If I don't add InitializeConditionVariable in Kexstubs.ini it tells me that MOZGLUE.DLL is associated with missing KERNEL32:InitializeConditionVariable.

Adding or removing InitializeSListHead and VerSetConditionMask doesn't seem to change anything however, so I removed them for now.

Edited by tyukok

Now I am at the point where firefox from 49 to 62 give me XPCOM error. Here's my Kexstubs.ini.

I guess until KernelEx 25 comes out this is as good as things will get.

EDIT: Done some more testing, now every Firefox starting with 49 (even 85 beta) gives me XPCOM error. Changes to Kexstubs.ini are in [KERNEL32] and [NTDLL] sections.

Kexstubs.ini

Edited by tyukok
updated kexstubs.ini, removed some junk

I didn't visit msfn.org for a long time, and now I re-visited here and found this thread.
Just for fun I downloaded some newer Firefox-Versions (portable and non-portable) and tried to launch them.

Surprise:
Only with a few modifications especially FF 31.8.0 portable immediately started!
By the way, wiithout XPCOM-not-found-error.
The only thing I had to do was to set KernelEx compability mode for firefox.exe and xul.dll to Windows XP SP2.
No need to set anything in any *.ini-file.

The installed KernelEx files are mainly version 4.05.2016.16.
I can publish content of core.ini and Kstub822.ini if somebody wishes. I can't remember that I edited those files.

There are some major bugs (URL bar doesn't work properly) and minor bugs (small graphic issues).

No problems with being blocked on websites becaus of too low TLS version.

The only (major) problem is that javascript doesn't seem to work, more precisely:
Most websites will freeze during loading with javascript enabled.
(But there is the same problem with e.g. KMeleon74.)

Did anybody manage it to run any FF version between 24 and 48 with Javascript enabled?

1 minute ago, diamant said:

The only (major) problem is that javascript doesn't seem to work, more precisely:
Most websites will freeze during loading with javascript enabled.
(But there is the same problem with e.g. KMeleon74.)

Did anybody manage it to run any FF version between 24 and 48 with Javascript enabled?

Hmm, that's odd. I run Firefox 35 and 47 with javascript enabled, everything works more or less as intended. What are your specs?

Hallo diamant,

try to update KernelEX to 24. I don't recommend to use update 16 and definitely not 17. The profile can be buggy! You don't need Kstub for Firefox 31. See first post.

You can download the improved versions in the my first post. The url bar will work (search.json is set to read only).

Hardware specs on that machine:
AMD Athlon XP, 2075 MHz
512 MB (PC2700 Virtual Channel DDR SDRAM)
But I don't suppose that hardware is the problem for freezing javascript because of Retrozila with JS enabled doesn't freez, also KM74 (under WinXP) doesn't freeze (only causes JS error messages) on the same machine.

Microsoft Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222A (Win98 SE)
with (if I remember correctly) some minor bugfixes (I would have to search for more details)

Kernelex files:
CBAKK.INI
KERNELEX.DLL
KEXBASES.DLL
KEXBASEN.DLL
sheet.dll
kexCOM.dll
verify.exe
License.txt
Release Notes.txt
Uninstall.exe
VKrnlEx.vxd
msimg32.dll
pdh.dll
psapi.dll
uxtheme.dll
wtsapi32.dll
userenv.dll
Kstub822.dll
Kstub822.ini
Kstub822.log
Core.ini

Most of them, where file version is visible, version 4.05.2016.16.
Is version 4.05.2016.16 really better than 4.05.2016.17?!

In the first post of this thread there are not particular KernelEx files downloadable?!
I have here an packed file collection named
KernelEx Updates 4.5.2019.24.7z
with many files in it. The installation seemes to be a little bit tricky(?); not just replace files in Kernelex directory like for the older KernelEx versions(?!).
Maybe it will be necessary to make comprehensive (system file) backups before installing it; I'm not sure whether system files are affected by KernelEx Updates 4.5.2019.24.7z, or only files in Kernelex directory.
Or should one use exactly the Kernelex files recommended in post 1 in this thread?

Probably I will do more tests to "stabilize" FF 31.8.0 version.
It has some more issues, e.g.:
- mouse-right-click not working
- new tabs don't work properly
- no javascript enable/disable checkbox under "Tools->Options" in Firefox
- Back-button next to URL bar does work only sometimes.

Don't install any strange files!

9 minutes ago, diamant said:

Or should one use exactly the Kernelex files recommended in post 1 in this thread?

Yes! From Topic KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates (4.5.2016.17)

links on my post May 16, 2020 https://msfn.org/board/topic/181424-firefox-24-for-me-and-98/page/6/#elControls_1181947

- mouse-right-click not working    ???? see, if it goes away after update

- new tabs don't work properly   read first post - Issues on ME/98SE => set "browser.newtabpage.enabled" to false
- no javascript enable/disable checkbox under "Tools->Options" in Firefox  later versions don't have this button anymore. Install an extension like QuickJava or disable it in about:config or prefs.js
- Back-button next to URL bar does work only sometimes.   ?????  see, if it goes away after update

schwups said:
try to update KernelEX to 24. I don't recommend to use update 16 and definitely not 17. The profile can be buggy! You don't need Kstub for Firefox 31. See first post.
You can download the improved versions in the my first post. The url bar will work (search.json is set to read only).

Whow!! I had no clue you're so diligently updating the first post here, really wiki-like! Thank you :thumbup
Still hope to some day find enough time and backup diskspace to try that other Kex-stuff again too. When I had tried it last time awhile back, it had caused some major trouble, can't afford such gimmicks currently (and having zero clue how it works and how to repair manually is deadly)
Edited by siria