Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

> SQLITE is completely broken in my KG74, absolute KILLER for history and lots of other crucial stuff.

Try using *sqlite3*.dll from RT's fx36vc71 or Retrozilla, or Firefox 95, abiword 2.9.x, k-meleon, pale moon, etc.  Search files for sqlite3_version.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, cc333 said:

Something akin to @looking4awayout's UOC patch, perhaps.

It could even be something based on it directly, but tweaked to be more suitable to Windows 9x/ME.  It's open source I think?  Maybe with looking4awayout's blessing, it could happen with some research.

c

Sure, the UOC Patch has been always meant to be tweaked and expanded by people who want or know how to tinker further with Firefox and derivatives. By the way, I apologize for my absence. While the new version of the patch, codenamed N2O, is ready, I still haven't time to distribute it yet, as I started working from home due to the pandemic and my free time is pretty much inexistent now.

I remember I tried an older version of the Patch on Firefox Community Edition for NT4, and from what I remember, it did work and was quite fast, but I didn't test it in-depth.

Edited by looking4awayout

looking4awayout -  thanks for confimation

Apparently I have much fewer problems with JS than other members. I don't have a VM and I have no hardware or a running system of the Coppermine/Tualatin/Willamette era to test. There could be some, but not many JS settings to make FF 31.8 more stable here. I think it runs almost as good as on XP.
So that makes not much sense to experiment with the UOC Patch here on my systems. But I will take a deeper look on my i915P/Pentium630 machine.

Requirements for the UOC Patch:
    A DirectX 9.0c capable graphics card with at least a 128 bit buss
    A 800MHz CPU or faster for better performance
    Enough RAM to support New Moon 27/Firefox 45 ESR SSE and other Roytam1's Mozilla based browsers

Maybe we should take a special look on the graphicscard and their drivers. I think it is helpful to make a "Hardware/Driver/VM/RealMachine/IE version/directx/rating" list of your systems with regard to the Javascript problems.
To compare:
My system: Real Machine, Win ME, IntelG41, Core2Duo E8400, 3,5GB Ram DDR2, NV7800GT (256MB) - Driver NV82.16, directX9c, IE6SP1

FF31.png

Hi, I just set up a fresh new Windows 98 SE VM with all the updates + KernelEx (updated) as well. I'm going to reinstall both Netscape 9 and SeaMonkey 2.25, and apart of the obvious tweaks indicated to me from previous pages, is there something new to add? I've been away for a good time - Home Office is taking more and more of my time.

Anyone got links to all the KernelEx files/updates required?  I went through the "KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates" thread installing what I thought I needed (going by the OP), but just ended up breaking my KernelEx install.

I'm trying SeaMonkey 2.25. It's a bit unstable - some sites work some just crash the browser and close it. Sounds like a memory related problem even though I'm running with 1GB RAM. The browser just cannot handle too much JS.

Thinking of leaving it to Netscape 9 for now since it's just a virtual machine, not a full real desktop.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:49 AM, Heritage said:

Anyone got links to all the KernelEx files/updates required?  I went through the "KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates" thread installing what I thought I needed (going by the OP), but just ended up breaking my KernelEx install.

KernelEX 4.5.2 

Microsoft Layer for Unicode MSLU: unicows.dll (version 1.1.3790.0)

Latest Updates:

Core Update 25  KernelEx.dll, Kexbasen.dll, Kexbases.dll and Core.ini 25h (Core.25h must be renamed to Core.ini)

Update18(beta)  Kexcom.dll, verify.exe and VKrnlEx.vxd

Update21delta  Sheet.dll

psapi.dll and uxtheme.dll

older:

Update24c  Kexbasen.dll and Kexbases.dll

Update19delta  KernelEx.dll

Update21delta  Core.ini20i

older Kexstubs.ini Kexstubs.7z Firefox 49 - 52

Kexstubs.7z Firefox 42 - 48

Edited by schwups

13 hours ago, schwups said:

KernelEX 4.5.2 

Microsoft Layer for Unicode MSLU: unicows.dll (version 1.1.3790.0)

Latest Updates:

Update24c  Kexbasen.dll and Kexbases.dll

Update19delta  KernelEx.dll and Sheet.dll

Update18(beta)  Kexcom.dll, verify.exe and VKrnlEx.vxd

Update21delta  Core.ini 20i => Core.20i must be renamed to Core.ini

psapi.dll and uxtheme.dll

Thanks!  Got it working now.

I tested the UOC Enforcer and the UOC Patch briefly on my i915/Pentium630 machine without major changes. The FF version was 31.8. I removed only the WebGL settings, because of the blocked WebGL renderer. Those prefs must be effectless. The latest ME/9x graphics drivers and also my graphics card are fourteen years old. There's no support for OpenGL ES 2.0. FF seem to be (perhaps) a little bit slower, but it ran. It was only one short test.

I simply gave up on Windows 98, I am moving to Windows 2000 or Windows XP + Inexperience Patcher to get a more closer classic feel. The many workarounds to keep 98 alive is just not worth the hassle for me. I just need an OK enviroment with a proper browser and be able to run my D3D games on VMware. XP has it covered and 2000 has it partially with BWC installed in.

The nostalgia is strong @Bruninho, you'll be back :) Believe this is the third time now you've publicly dumped Windows 98. These DOS systems didn't get nearly the attention and most importantly, relatively recent support, of NT-based systems. So it's no surprise the OS can no longer meet more modern expectations. Depending on your gaming library, it may be good to have a vanilla-ish or basic KernelEx Windows 98 system around. Many older games work best in Windows 98 / DOS and sometimes not at all in Windows 2000 or XP. Any browser that supports TLS v1.2 is good enough just to fetch gaming files, stuff like that. Just enjoy the system, rather then get too frustrated.

I've been following the thread but don't understand all of the update details. It appears members have been unable to reliably get Firefox 31.8 running. Just wondering @schwups if your system has additional updates, update packs or modifications not listed. Has this been confirmed with fresh Windows ME install using only the updates posted above. Also wondering if there may be signficant OS differences, giving Windows 98 users grief.