Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

I haven't specifically tested with vxd sound drivers yet. There is no help from my side for now.

One small step - a tiny news concerning higher versions: I have Firefox 53.03 and IceWeasel 53.2 with Firefox en-US language pack running now.

K-Meleon 76: I got with builds, around June and July, a considerable slowdown on some sites, almost a freeze, also msfn bord, after a short time. It seem to be fixed with KM76.4.6-Goanna-20220813.

Edited by schwups

I've done some tests with 5 different sound cards (physical and virtual) and there is always no sound when using VxD drivers, but sound always work with WDM drivers. Additionally, when I installed some firefox plugins that allowed me to control sound parameters from browser, they said, that no sound card is detected. So probably newer firefoxes do not recognize VxDs

Firefox 54: I added [ntdll.dll] RtlDecodePointer= and RtlEncodePointer= to Kstub. Then no (error) message appears, but Firefox runs in the background only. Xul.dll is loaded. Currently version Central 54.0a1 (February 10, 2017) is still the newest I can start and run with UI.

:hello: Light Browser. Not up to date, but slimmed down. As the name says, it is significantly smaller than the corresponding Firefox version. It can start faster and use less memory. It is no longer being developed since 2016.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/files/

Portable Mode: https://sourceforge.net/p/lightfirefox/wiki/portable mode/

Version 48: It starts with UI and the graphical interface is fairly stable. That means you can run it without Hardware Acceleration (Compositing > Basic). I guess the Light Browser is better suited for underperforming or older Hardware. You should still set AzureContentBackend to skia.

Supplement:

Light - Firefox fork (versions 29 - 49). I continued my tests. Only versions 47 - 49 are suitable to run without Hardware Acceleration - lower versions aren't.

Light 47 - 49: Set "gfx.content.azure.backends" to skia. Lower versions don't support skia. The support has been removed here. The addon ClassicThemeRestorer 1.5.3 can be used to solve the tab glitch.

Version 49 requires Kext, but not the reg file "APISets Stub dll's/Knowndll's" (v49 compiled with VS2010).

I think it's also interesting, that some versions between 36 and 41 run (with the known issues), namely 36r2, 40 and 41. (37, 38, 39 do not)

Edited by schwups

Light author cstkingkey:

"By default, Light only trust a few of Root CAs. It may cause problems.
If you run into cert problems when visiting https sites and it works with firefox, you can dowload or find nssckbi.dll shipped in firefox and put it into light's folder."

https://sourceforge.net/p/lightfirefox/wiki/certs/

Common message: Not trusted certificate because the issuer certificate has expired...     etcetera

I tested it with nssckbi.dll from Firefox 52.9.

Add-on "Get Archive" is a really fine thing to browse through the web archive (archive.org) for me as ME user.

Version 2.5.2 - works with Firefox 3.6 - 56.*  I can also use version 3.2 on Firefox 53 (compatible with Firefox 53 and later).

On 9/18/2022 at 6:17 AM, schwups said:

Have you tested which Firefox version is the last with support for vxd drivers?

Firefox 14. Sound support when using the VxD driver was discontinued in one of the nightly builds between versions 14 and 15. Among all the nightly builds of version 14 that I checked, I came across both supporting sound, and where there is no sound anymore. In version 15, it is no longer completely (Although I did not thoroughly check the nightly assemblies 15 - there are too many of them).

Edited by defuser

• 2 weeks later...
In a few days my email provider will deaktivate TLS 1.0. That means, it will (probably) not be possible to use Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 in Win98SE anymore (ore is there a workaround to use TLS 1.2 with Thunderbird versions lower than 20.*.*.*?).
But a good fact is that it seems to be possible use some newer Thunderbird versions with KernelEx, e.g. 9.*, 24.*, 31.*.
I found out the following possible workarounds to use TLS 1.2 in Thunderbird:

1.) Thunderbird 9.0.1 doesn't provide TLS 1.2 per default. I found a file "Firefox10-new-nss.7z" somewhere here on MSFN whose content was normally built for Firefox(?). It contains files freebl.dll, nss3.dll, nssckbi.dll, nssdbm3.dll, nssutil3.dll, smime3.dll, softokn3.dll and ssl3.dll. Those files seem to refer to TLS in firefox(?). "Just for fun" I replaced the files with the same names(!?) in the Thunderbird 9.0.1 program folder with the files from Firefox10-new-nss.7z. Surprisingly, it was obviously possible to send and receive an email with TLS 1.2 encryption?!
But I'm not sure whether there will occur some errors when using Thunderbird 9.0.1 with Firefox-10-files. I have to test it more.

2.) Thunderbird 24.0.1 can "directly" send/receive emails with TLS 1.2 support. But there is an issue: It runs in the background after closing the program. I've not tested TB 24.0.1 detailed for more issues.

3.) Thunderbird 31.7.0 can "directly" send/receive emails with TLS 1.2 support (same behaviour like TB 24). But there is another issue: It crashes always when closing the program. I've not tested TB 31.7.0 detailed for more issues.

Are there other experiences/recommendations with Thunderbird + KernelEx + TLS 1.2?

PS: The files from Firefox10-new-nss.7z don't work with Thunderbird 2.0.0.24. Edited by diamant
layout was bad

Thunderbird 2.0.0.24WinSSLwrap supports TLS 1.2! https://msfn.org/board/topic/174247-windows-9x-ssl-protocol-winsslwrap-117-rev-08/

It works with OutlookExpress6 here and it should work with Thunderbird.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183829-email-on-windows-98-2022/?do=findComment&comment=1224261

On 12/28/2022 at 1:29 AM, diamant said:

1.) Thunderbird 9.0.1 doesn't provide TLS 1.2 per default. I found a file "Firefox10-new-nss.7z" somewhere here on MSFN whose content was normally built for Firefox(?). It contains files freebl.dll, nss3.dll, nssckbi.dll, nssdbm3.dll, nssutil3.dll, smime3.dll, softokn3.dll and ssl3.dll. Those files seem to refer to TLS in firefox(?). "Just for fun" I replaced the files with the same names(!?) in the Thunderbird 9.0.1 program folder with the files from Firefox10-new-nss.7z. Surprisingly, it was obviously possible to send and receive an email with TLS 1.2 encryption?!
But I'm not sure whether there will occur some errors when using Thunderbird 9.0.1 with Firefox-10-files. I have to test it more.

Firefox 9/10 and Thunderbird 9/10 are compiled with VC2005 (msvc80). So it is very likely that the replacement by RoyTam's nss files usually works. I use the RT's nss files for v10 with Firefox 9 and I can't remember that there are any problems. Maybe there is a numbering, but the program doesn't check it. However, I have not or hardly tested this for TB.

2.) Thunderbird 24.0.1 can "directly" send/receive emails with TLS 1.2 support. But there is an issue: It runs in the background after closing the program. I've not tested TB 24.0.1 detailed for more issues.

Yes, I had the the same issue. I haven't done any further research on this lately. The issue doesn't occur with Thunderbird 42 and higher. Usually I use TB 52. Probably you must enable TLS 1.2 on v24. Firefox: "security.tls.version.max" to 3 (TLS 1.2 enabled). TLS 1.2 is enabled since version 27 by default.

TB 27 with Start Page:  tls13.akamai.io  (TLS checker) - It is necessary to update the cert file nssckbi.dll (NSS Builtin Trusted Root CAs) by the one of TB 52.9 or higher, otherwise the page doesn't open.

In the meantime, I can also start and run TB 36- 41 and 53. These versions also doesn't run in the background after close. But I have some other issues with these versions.

3.) Thunderbird 31.7.0 can "directly" send/receive emails with TLS 1.2 support (same behaviour like TB 24). But there is another issue: It crashes always when closing the program. I've not tested TB 31.7.0 detailed for more issues.

I'm not sure. I haven't bothered with this version lately either. Try Kexmode Basesn on msvcr100.

Edited by schwups