Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

18 minutes ago, schwups said:

What glitches do you see with standard theme? And it would be nice, if you tell us about your system specifications (graphics/driver/CPU/RAM/VirtualM or RM....).

normal theme has discoloration and other glitches on some of the textures, like the close button.

spacer.png

i have the same problem in firefox 45 w/ classicthemerestorer as well, although its much worse in that browser as it effects the tabs and other things too

spacer.png

firefox 52esr works & renders perfectly fine however

system specs:

motherboard: asus p5wd2 premium

cpu: pentium 4 3.2ghz

ram: 2gb (2x1gb) ddr2

video card: ati radeon 9250 pci

boot drive: ocz 32gb ssd

storage drive: 400gb hdd

12 minutes ago, dotexe1337 said:

normal theme has discoloration and other glitches on some of the textures, like the close button.

i have the same problem in firefox 45 w/ classicthemerestorer as well, although its much worse in that browser as it effects the tabs and other things too

firefox 52esr works & renders perfectly fine however

system specs:

motherboard: asus p5wd2 premium

cpu: pentium 4 3.2ghz

ram: 2gb (2x1gb) ddr2

video card: ati radeon 9250 pci

boot drive: ocz 32gb ssd

storage drive: 400gb hdd

You need to go to about:config and edit gfx.canvas.azure.backends to only have skia

OK, thanks for your specs. Firefox 52 also works with a "ati radeon 9250 pci". Which graphics driver do you use?

98SE on a SSD - Real Machine!?

3 hours ago, RayZen said:

You need to go to about:config and edit gfx.canvas.azure.backends to only have skia

No not canvas - correct is gfx.content.azure.backends: skia,cairo                  The first one - here skia - is being used. The second or others are fallback backends, if the first fails. Of course only skia is needed and the others can be omitted. Firefox 52 is set to skia by default.

gfx.canvas.azure.backends: Here it doesn't matter if it is set to cairo or skia.

Backend Direct2D isn't supported and requires Direct3D 11 compositing. There is no workaround.

17 hours ago, dotexe1337 said:

thank you! i now have firefox 45, 52 & mypal all working on 98se!

also, i figured out an easier & more consistent way to fix the search/address bar bug:

close the browser, delete the search.json file in your profile folder, make an empty txt called search.json, go into its properties and make it read only

turns out the file doesnt actually need to contain anything for your search engines to work, it just needs to not contain invalid data like the browser seems to want to put in there

Yes, you can do this. Probably you will not have the symbols of the search engines in the search field.

If search.json is set to read only, Mypal / Firefox (28 - 44) create a second file "search.json.tmp" with every start.

Edited by schwups

20 minutes ago, schwups said:

Firefox 52 also works with a "ati radeon 9250 pci". Which graphics driver do you use?

i just use the official amd 6.2 driver, latest version

98SE on a SSD - Real Machine!?

yes, it is a real machine. the ssd is an older one from the late 2000s so thats why its only 32gb. just an old part i got for free and decided to use. then i have the 400gb hdd to store my downloads and games on since they are a large size

Yes, you can do this. Probably you will not have the symbols of the search engines in the search field.

i do still have search symbols in my mypal when using 0kb search.json as read only

22 minutes ago, schwups said:

No not canvas - correct is gfx.content.azure.backends: skia,cairo                  The first one - here skia - is being used. The second or others are fallback backends, if the first fails. Of course only skia is needed and the others can be omitted. Firefox 52 is set to skia by default.

just tried this on my mypal and it works! now i have good rendering for the firefox 2 theme

is there also any good way to fix the bookmarks & downloads window?

15 minutes ago, dotexe1337 said:
39 minutes ago, schwups said:

i do still have search symbols in my mypal when using 0kb search.json as read only

Maybe I hadn't investigated this thoroughly.

29 minutes ago, dotexe1337 said:

is there also any good way to fix the bookmarks & downloads window?

No, the library window is empty. Portable version: History and the Bookmarks created on OS XP will be saved and remain usable on ME/98 - apart from that use extension PlainOldFavorites.

3 hours ago, schwups said:

Do the Javascript problems arise on your system?

how can i test that? javascript seemed to work fine but i am not 100% sure

i am reinstalling my 98se right now (accidentally wiped my boot drive trying to use ssd trim program by r.loew, oops.. should have read the readme :P) but i will test javascript after im done if you can show me how

Yes, Javascript usually works on my systems. I have apparent problems with older versions like 31 or 35. Of course, that's no surprise, due to the further development of JS. I ask, because there are some reports that it doesn't work at all and I'm not able to reproduce this. My lowest and oldest machines are Asus P4V800D-X , VIA PT880Ultra, Pentium 4 Northwood - SSE2, NV5900XT AGP8x + driver NV82.16, 2GB and MSI7104 Via P4M800, P4 Northwood SSE2, GF6600GT AGP / driver 82.69, 1GB.

Bookmarks and history -library. Question: What works so far?
It seems fully functional to me for Firefox 3.6.28 or RoyTam's Firefox 3.6.
Firefox 45, 52 and forks:
I imported my extensive Favorites to Firefox portable and some forks on XP to have all these bookmarks available on ME.
In my case all bookmarks are present twice with them of PlainOldFavorites.
The file places.sqlite with imported Favorites can be copied to replace one of another version or fork.
- Accesses from existing bookmarks are written into the history. This means history works, if the webpage is already bookmarked.
- Bookmarks can be moved between folders.

On 5/16/2022 at 1:04 PM, ks4 said:

CMI8738 isn't the only card on which sound in Firefox in Win 98 is working - I'm testing FF with KernelEx on VMware Player with Win 98SE and sound works. I'll do a comparision between my sound drivers and its installed components.

Would you care to provide more information regarding this? Namely:

- WDM driver version for CMI8738
- VMware Player Version
- Version of installed add-ons (Guest OS Tools) for VMware Player
- Windows 98 SE Version (Are any non-official updates taken from WinME installed)