Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

On 5/15/2022 at 11:27 AM, defuser said:

Greetings. I have a very similar problem. There is sound in Windows ME with the WDM driver, but if you install the VXD driver, the sound disappears. And in Windows 98 there is no sound at all, both with the VxD and with the WDM driver. At the same time, there is sound in the system itself in all cases. Sound is also available in older versions of Firefox (<14 and some early nightly alpha builds of 14). Starting from version 15, the sound is no longer available in all that I managed to try at the moment. I don’t know what to do with this problem, so far I see the option of installing a separate sound card with WDM drivers, especially for browsers, or looking for some purely software sound card emulator based on WDM drivers. And the fact that you have CMI8738 sound under Windows 98 SE, with installed WDM drivers is a very good sign (In terms of WinME is not required in this case). Because I have sound on SoundBlaster16 only in WinME and only with WDM drivers. This may mean that the WDM driver for CMI8738 has some key files that give sound to Windows 98 SE (not only in WinME, as in my case).

I've not said it earlier, but when I changed sound card to Audigy 2 ZS I accidentially installed WDM drivers first, there were no sound in FF. It can mean, that there is a function that is available only on some WDM, and not on VxD. As you said, this function is more often available on Win ME, than on Win 98.

CMI8738 isn't the only card on which sound in Firefox in Win 98 is working - I'm testing FF with KernelEx on VMware Player with Win 98SE and sound works. I'll do a comparision between my sound drivers and its installed components.

I've been using a USB sound card, the sound works fine. Just about anything that supports USB Audio Class 1.0 would work straight out of the box with no additional drivers, including modern USB sound cards (as long as they don't support audio quality better than 96KHz - this is the biggest difference between USB Audio Class 1.0 and 2.0).

Haven't tried any period-appropriate soundcards.

Edited by tyukok

• 2 weeks later...

I did everything from the first post. But when I try to run FF 52.9 I get multiple error messages like this:

VirtualBox_W98_26_05_2022_14_37_42.png.bc992f7ab4f78287e0334ab70c12d278.png

If I click Yes or No, Firefox crashes, if I click Cancel, I get a few more of these messages, at the end Firefox freezes (does not start, hangs in the process list). What is the reason? FF 48 works well.

58 minutes ago, uav1606 said:

I did everything from the first post. But when I try to run FF 52.9 I get multiple error messages like this:

VirtualBox_W98_26_05_2022_14_37_42.png.bc992f7ab4f78287e0334ab70c12d278.png

If I click Yes or No, Firefox crashes, if I click Cancel, I get a few more of these messages, at the end Firefox freezes (does not start, hangs in the process list). What is the reason? FF 48 works well.

It should not be called. Disable ConditionVariables with ";":   ;SleepConditionVariables= or delete this entry in your Kstub824.ini.

You don't need ConditionVariables for Version 52.9.

I commented out the line with SleepConditionVariables, but got a new error with another function, removed it, got more... I commented out a lot of functions, there are no errors as a result, but Firefox just closes immediately after launch.

Thank you very much!

All I had to do was disable these three lines in Kstub824.ini with reboot:

SleepConditionVariableCS

WakeConditionVariable

WakeAllConditionVariable

I'm really dumb. Now everything works great.

VirtualBox_W98_26_05_2022_23_18_36.png

:thumbup It's also possible to make the characters readable and I recommend to change the browser default fonts (Preferences/Content). You have vertical lines in the tabs and menus. TimesNewRoman isn't a good choice.

The Kexstubs.ini is now modified.

Edited by schwups

Since some things have changed after the last KernelEx update, I have revised the instructions on the first page. Due to the improved API support, apparently Kext is no longer necessary to run Firefox up to version 49 (SeaMonkey 2.46), Mypal 28/29, Centaury, Cyberfox 52, IceDragon 52 and K-Meleon 76. It is still needed for Firefox 50 - 52, SeaMonkey 2.48 - 2.49.5, IceCat 38/52 and IceWeasel 52.

Using without Kext: I want to add that the forwarding in the registry (SessionManager\KnownDLLs ) API-MS-Win-Core-RtlSupport-L1-1-0 => Ntdll.dll should be API-MS-Win-Core-RtlSupport-L1-1-0 => Kernel32.dll. Otherwise Mypal 28/29, Centaury, Cyberfox 52 and IceDragon don't run. Error: UCrtBase.dll is linked to missing Export-Ntdll.dll:RTLCaptureContext. I have the entry "[ntdll.dll] RtlCaptureContext=" in the stubs.ini file as an aid. RTLCaptureContext should be supported by Kernel32.dll (Kexbases) and I think this the cleaner solution.

Edited by schwups

• 2 weeks later...

thank you! i now have firefox 45, 52 & mypal all working on 98se!

also, i figured out an easier & more consistent way to fix the search/address bar bug:

close the browser, delete the search.json file in your profile folder, make an empty txt called search.json, go into its properties and make it read only

turns out the file doesnt actually need to contain anything for your search engines to work, it just needs to not contain invalid data like the browser seems to want to put in there

also, interestingly enough, installing plus! 98 seems to have fixed the bug where the UI fonts are rendered in times new roman, and has also fixed the missing characters in my search bar on mypal