Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

If anyone intends to use ReactOS files instead of those of XPSP2 or SP3, then don't use the dnsapi.dll of ROS.

One more problem with DBGHELP.dll of ROS version 0.4.13 is "RtlRaiseException". The simple entry RtlRaiseException= under NTDLL.dll in the Kexstubs.ini makes FF52 and the forks happy again. Or choose DbgHelp.dll of older 0.4.0.

My test files of 0.4.13 are: activeds.dll, apphelp.dll, authz.dll, dbghelp.dll, mprapi.dll, ntdsapi.dll, ntlanman.dll, rasdlg.dll, rasman.dll, samlib.dll, winscard.dll, winsta.dll.

Edited by schwups

I looked at Cyberfox again, specifically 50.0.0 and 52.9.1. My question was why I can't run versions 50 - 52. Downloads portable  - Intel.86 (32bit). I found the problem with 52.9.1, but not with 50.0 yet. 52.9.1: Multiprocess feature. Solution - Simply add "user_pref("browser.tabs.remote.autostart", false);" to the prefs.js. The portable launcher needs Windows 7SP1 mode and the Cyberfox.exe Win XPSP2.

Languages: The xpi files are in CyberfoxPortable\App\Cyberfox\browser\features. After you have installed your language pack it's needed to set "general.useragent.locale" to the corresponding language , too.

Adding Awesomefonts - siria's workaround: The prefs.js is too big (63KB) to add the prefs. More than 64KB are not possible. Entries related to the language files make it so big. I made space here by deleting unused language files in the features folder. Then after one start and close of Cyberfox the prefs.js was reduced significantly. The corresponding language pack entries have disappeared.

• schwups changed the title to Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

I haven't been following the thread for a while, only now caught up to it. Tried it out, Firefox 52.9 ESR works, no graphical glitches. Mypal works too, but with minor graphical glitches in the UI and address bar not working.

Pity about what happened to Mypal. We were just about to get a somewhat-regularly updating browser that works on Windows 98, for the first time in a decade, too.

Edited by tyukok

Hallo Tyukok, of course, I was also pleased! That broad compatibility of MyPal is really amazing for a modern browser. I have certainly not read everything about this controversy. There is probably no plaintiff - no complaint. It seems to be a campaign. Is it at all certain that Feodor2 will not continue albeit on a different basis - Gecko instead of Goanna?

Address bar: I had set search.json to "read only". Yes, it's inconvenient and tricky. UI glitches: Did you set "gfx.content.azure.backends" to skia?

My main problem with MyPal are more low GDI resources after a while.

I noticed that whenever I open Mypal without a profile folder and it generates a profile folder for the first time, address bar always works. But when I open the browser any other time, it stops working. Setting search.json to "read only" didn't help.

But then I copied "search.json.mozlz4" from my SeaMonkey profile folder to my Mypal profile, renamed it as "search.json", set it to "read only", opened Mypal, and then address bar worked as it should. Never had a problem with it since then. Weird, but I'll take it.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, schwups said:

UI glitches: Did you set "gfx.content.azure.backends" to skia?

No, it was "direct2d1.1,cairo". I set it to "skia", glitched are now gone. Thanks!

As for what happened to Mypal, there is a nice QRD on this whole situation (albeit with some harsh language at times) here. Looks like Feodor2 is just done with this clown show Pale Moon devs are pulling against him.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:14 PM, tyukok said:

But then I copied "search.json.mozlz4" from my SeaMonkey profile folder to my Mypal profile, renamed it as "search.json", set it to "read only", opened Mypal, and then address bar worked as it should. Never had a problem with it since then. Weird, but I'll take it.

On further testing it turned out that simply creating an empty text file, naming it "search.json", replacing the original search.json with it and marking it as "read only" works too.

46 minutes ago, jumper said:

Hopefully just the known issue with NtClose for which I think I now have a fix.

Can I(we) test the fix? Do you have an updated kexbases.dll?

15 minutes ago, tyukok said:

On further testing it turned out that simply creating an empty text file, naming it "search.json", replacing the original search.json with it and marking it as "read only" works too.

sounds good. I had repeated "set to read only"  of the original file several times until it worked.

MyPal: The best choice I found to improve the GDI ressources is to "free memory" (about:memory > Minimize Memory usage). The add-on FreeMemoryButton do this with one click only, but not automated. Apparently the add-on Memory Fox Next doesn't work as desired on MyPal. I could hardly see any improvement. And I want to try out other add-ons like FreeMemory 2.0 and MemoryOptimizer 1.8.0. These are in the ClassicAddonsArchive and aren't available currently. CAA requires a new hosting. OK, I can download the whole file of 14GB. I have not done yet.

Other settings haven't been really successful so far:

browser.sessionhistory.max_entries from 50 to 9

New Integer browser.cache.memory.capacity > I had set a limit

New boolean config.trim_on_minimize > true

mypal-browser.org/release/ is online

https://web.archive.org/web/20210815103613/https://github.com/Feodor2/ is offline

Temporarily Offline

Internet Archive services are temporarily offline.

Please check our Twitter feed for the latest information.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by schwups

Just now I could download FreeMemory 2.0. So the ClassicAddonsArchive has a new hosting. The timer of the addon works on MyPal. I've set the timer to 5 minutes. A small pause occurs every 5 minutes for a few seconds.

The addon Memory optimizer hasn't worked.

Now online again:  https://web.archive.org/web/20210815103613/https://github.com/Feodor2/:cool:

IceCat 52 and Iceweasel 53:

Required to start IceCat 52.3 is "user_pref("browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2", false);" in the prefs.js. It seems to be running quite stable. I've no idea to run IceWeasel 53. I get the "old" message "couldn't load XPCOM", although it appears to run smoothly on XP. Older IceWeasel 52.0.3 is OK.

20 hours ago, schwups said:

Just now I could download FreeMemory 2.0. So the ClassicAddonsArchive has a new hosting. The timer of the addon works on MyPal. I've set the timer to 5 minutes. A small pause occurs every 5 minutes for a few seconds.

The addon Memory optimizer hasn't worked.

Now online again:  https://web.archive.org/web/20210815103613/https://github.com/Feodor2/:cool:

IceCat 52 and Iceweasel 53:

Required to start IceCat 52.3 is "user_pref("browser.tabs.remote.autostart.2", false);" in the prefs.js. It seems to be running quite stable. I've no idea to run IceWeasel 53. I get the "old" message "couldn't load XPCOM", although it appears to run smoothly on XP. Older IceWeasel 52.0.3 is OK.

May you link us to the working later firefox browsers? I tried a youtube tutorial to use Firefox 45 (No SSE2 Edition), but things don't seem to work for me.

Firefox 31.8 ESR works wonderfully. But, flash player crashes.

Also, I feel we are getting closer to running Slimboat on Windows 9x. Jumper's additions to KernelEx have gotten the browser closer to working, but it isn't quite there yet. The browser complains of DBGHELP.dll being too old. Placing in a newer file didn't prevent it from crashing. The browser does claim to generate a crash log, but I have not yet checked yet if it actually does. This could become the first Chromium browser to work on Windows 9x.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

12 hours ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Firefox 31.8 ESR works wonderfully. But, flash player crashes.

Firefox crashes with Adobe Flash plug-in activated. Deactivate the plugin container: dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false and dom.ipc.plugins.timeoutSecs;-1. The boolean "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled" has been removed with version 43.

May you link us to the working later firefox browsers?

Please see my instructions on the first page/post. Other settings on about:config are not necessary at first.

I tried a youtube tutorial to use Firefox 45 (No SSE2 Edition), but things don't seem to work for me.

Make sure that you haven't the reg entries of LZDLL_ME.reg or LZDLL.reg in your registry. The KernelEx installers provided by others could merge them into the registry. First try with xpSP2 files only to run Firefox 45. XUL.dll must be in follower mode or set it for safety's sake to XPSP2.

Also, I feel we are getting closer to running Slimboat on Windows 9x. Jumper's additions to KernelEx have gotten the browser closer to working, but it isn't quite there yet. The browser complains of DBGHELP.dll being too old. Placing in a newer file didn't prevent it from crashing. The browser does claim to generate a crash log, but I have not yet checked yet if it actually does. This could become the first Chromium browser to work on Windows 9x.

Interesting, but I didn't deal with it intensively. I believe this will probably be more difficult than it initially seems and will be a bigger thing. Then running chromium based browsers on 98SE/ME could really be something for a fresh topic.

Supplement: I nearly have forgotten that I have SlimBoat 1.1.50 (WebKit browser) installed here. Basically it works, but it renders e.g. msfn board not better than Opera 12.0.2 and it can't open most sites anymore. I also have version 1.1.53. It doesn't render pages better. And I think 1.1.54 is the last released and only little newer.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175296-final-inquiry-about-98se-and-kernelex/?do=findComment&comment=1120167

https://de.dll-files.com/qtwebkit4.dll.html

Edited by schwups

• 2 weeks later...

I've older versions of NewMoon (28.0 -28.9.0) running. The problem in XUL.dll can be circumvented by a substitution with an adequate file version of MyPal. Here: NewMoon 28.9.0a1.win32-git-20191214 (Xul.dll 4.4.2.7285) with Xul.dll 4.4.2.7377 of MyPal 28.8.4. Too bad that NewMoon doesn't accept skia for gfx.content.azure.backends. Some icon glitches remain due to cairo. Newer versions seem to lose compatibility. I also have basilisk52-g4.4.win32-git-20191214 running, but the used Xul.dll of Centaury doesn't have such a good compatibility. Some functions are not available.