Firefox 24 - 52 for ME and 98

On 1/17/2021 at 2:44 PM, tyukok said:

Now I am at the point where firefox from 49 to 62 give me XPCOM error. Here's my Kexstubs.ini.

I guess until KernelEx 25 comes out this is as good as things will get.

EDIT: Done some more testing, now every Firefox starting with 49 (even 85 beta) gives me XPCOM error. Changes to Kexstubs.ini are in [KERNEL32] and [NTDLL] sections.

Kexstubs.ini 8.47 kB · 2 downloads

Edited Monday at 04:11 PM by tyukok

VLC 3.0.12 crashes on start, because of "InitializeConditionVariable". And I didn't find useful stubs for the Condition Variables, so I deactivatet InitializeConditionVariable in the Kexstubs.ini .

Is there any need about core.20i? Or do I have to rename it to core.ini (and overwrite or delete the old core.ini)?

Actual content (not updatet yet) of CBAKK.ini:

[ApiConfigurations]
default=0
0=DCFG1
1=WIN95
2=WIN98
3=WINME
4=NT40
5=NT2K
6=WINXP
7=WIN2K3
8=VISTA
9=WIN2K8
10=NOHEAP

[DCFG1]
contents=std,kexbases,kexbasen
desc=Default mode

[DCFG1.names.98]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=std
GDI32.SetWorldTransform=kexbases.0
GDI32.GetRandomRgn=std
GDI32.SetGraphicsMode=std
GDI32.GetTextMetricsA=std
GDI32.GetWorldTransform=std
GDI32.ModifyWorldTransform=std
GDI32.SetMapMode=std
KERNEL32.VerSetConditionMask=none
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=none
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=none
KERNEL32.CreateIoCompletionPort=std
SHELL32.SHParseDisplayName=none

[DCFG1.names.Me]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=std
GDI32.SetWorldTransform=kexbases.0
GDI32.GetRandomRgn=std
GDI32.SetGraphicsMode=std
GDI32.GetTextMetricsA=std
GDI32.GetWorldTransform=std
GDI32.ModifyWorldTransform=std
GDI32.SetMapMode=std
KERNEL32.VerSetConditionMask=none
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=none
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=none
KERNEL32.CreateIoCompletionPort=std
USER32.AllowSetForegroundWindow=std
USER32.LockSetForegroundWindow=std
USER32.GetMouseMovePointsEx=std
SHELL32.SHParseDisplayName=none

[WIN95]
inherit=DCFG1
desc=Windows 95

[WIN95.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.0
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.1
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.1

[WIN98]
inherit=WIN95
desc=Windows 98 SE

[WIN98.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.1
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.2
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.2

[WINME]
inherit=WIN98
desc=Windows Millennium

[WINME.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.2
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.3
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.3

[NT40]
inherit=WIN95
desc=Windows NT 4.0 SP6

[NT40.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.3
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.4
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.4
KERNEL32.CreateIoCompletionPort=kexbases.0
GDI32.GetRandomRgn=kexbases.0
GDI32.SetGraphicsMode=kexbases.0
GDI32.GetTextMetricsA=kexbases.0
GDI32.GetWorldTransform=kexbases.0
GDI32.ModifyWorldTransform=kexbases.0
GDI32.SetMapMode=kexbases.0
GDI32.SetWorldTransform=kexbases.1

[NT2K]
inherit=NT40
desc=Windows 2000 SP4

[NT2K.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.4
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.5
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.5
KERNEL32.VerSetConditionMask=kexbases.0
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=kexbases.0
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=kexbases.0

[WINXP]
inherit=NT2K
desc=Windows XP SP2

[WINXP.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.5
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.6
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.6
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=kexbases.1
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=kexbases.1
SHELL32.SHParseDisplayName=kexbasen.0

[WIN2K3]
inherit=WINXP
desc=Windows 2003 SP1

[WIN2K3.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.6
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.7
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.7
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=kexbases.2
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=kexbases.2

[VISTA]
inherit=WIN2K3
desc=Windows Vista

[VISTA.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.7
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.8
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.8
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=kexbases.3
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=kexbases.3

[WIN2K8]
inherit=VISTA
desc=Windows 2008 SP1

[WIN2K8.names]
KERNEL32.GetVersion=kexbases.8
KERNEL32.GetVersionExA=kexbases.9
KERNEL32.GetVersionExW=kexbases.9
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoA=kexbases.4
KERNEL32.VerifyVersionInfoW=kexbases.4

[NOHEAP]
inherit=DCFG1
desc=Disable custom heap

[NOHEAP.names]
KERNEL32.HeapCreate=std
KERNEL32.HeapDestroy=std
KERNEL32.HeapAlloc=std
KERNEL32.HeapFree=std
KERNEL32.HeapSize=std
KERNEL32.HeapReAlloc=std

1 hour ago, diamant said:

Is there any need about core.20i? Or do I have to rename it to core.ini (and overwrite or delete the old core.ini)?

You must rename it to core.ini and it replaces the older one. "Core.20i" will be inoperable. Latest KernelEx could or will not work properly with a older Core.ini. You can rename your old Core.ini or make a renamed copy of the whole KernelEx folder to be able to restore the system quickly.

Hi @schwups just wanted to let you know I finally have ff45 working on Windows ME.

Not sure what I've possibly done different to last time when I couldn't get it to start. Although the differences this time are I took the DLL's from a KernelEx'd Windows 2000 and I'm also trying it on physical hardware. Is it a possible issue with Virtual Machines or the fact my Dlls came from 2k instead of XP SP3?

Thankyou for your hard work and Jumper in getting this working. One quick question is there anyway to stop the address bar and search bar from missing the last letter?

Edited by ojt_1998
Forgot to say thankyou

Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't proved with "KernelEx'd Windows 2000" Dll's and I don't run a VM. But it's good to know if "KernelEx'd Windows 2000" Dll's work, too. The question about "possible issue with Virtual Machines" hasn't yet been answered. :)

40 minutes ago, ojt_1998 said:

One quick question is there anyway to stop the address bar and search bar from missing the last letter?

Tjukok also reported this bug: msfn.org/board/topic/181424-firefox-24-for-me-and-98/page/12/#elControls_1192061

22 hours ago, schwups said:

Tjukok also reported this bug: msfn.org/board/topic/181424-firefox-24-for-me-and-98/page/12/#elControls_1192061

So I've had a play around this morning with Classic Theme Restorer and it seems that if you change the toolbar mode from Show Icons Only to any other option then the search and address bar display all the text. Not sure how or why but it's a decent work around.

Is there any way on FF45 to get it to remember that I've accepted the Google user agreement or is that something I should live with? :D

Apologies for what feels like spam posting...

Further to my endeavors I have discovered the following:

• Address and search bar can be worked around using the above post or by installing Adobe Type Manager 4.1. I used this to install AwesomeFont 4.7 and after this coincidentally fixed the bars. I'm guessing this is down to it installing some required but not necessary files.
  • The browsers do work in a Virtual Machine using the files I got from my extended Windows 2000. This leads me to think there is potentially an issue with one of the files from XP SP3?

Anyhow, once again thankyou for all the work that has been put in to getting these working.

3 hours ago, ojt_1998 said:

Is there any way on FF45 to get it to remember that I've accepted the Google user agreement or is that something I should live with?

I use Google search very rarely. I've just tried Google and have set Cookies to keep. Yes, I always have to accept the agreement, too. But it works on XP. So it is a bug on ME/KernelEx.

Are you running FF45.9.31 (RT) or 45.9? Sometimes RT's FF crashed due to an exception in Xul.dll. (FIREFOX caused an exception 406d1388H in module XUL.DLL at 0177:027c56da)

4 hours ago, schwups said:

I use Google search very rarely. I've just tried Google and have set Cookies to keep. Yes, I always have to accept the agreement, too. But it works on XP. So it is a bug on ME/KernelEx.

Are you running FF45.9.31 (RT) or 45.9? Sometimes RT's FF crashed due to an exception in Xul.dll. (FIREFOX caused an exception 406d1388H in module XUL.DLL at 0177:027c56da)

Fair enough - it's almost like all data for each session isn't getting saved - when starting again I don't get any autocomplete from before. Maybe it's down to path differences between 9x and NT OS's?

I'm running Roytams build of FF45 SSE version. Haven't had any crashes as of yet but I'll let you know if I do.

9 hours ago, ojt_1998 said:

So I've had a play around this morning with Classic Theme Restorer and it seems that if you change the toolbar mode from Show Icons Only to any other option then the search and address bar display all the text. Not sure how or why but it's a decent work around.

6 hours ago, ojt_1998 said:

Address and search bar can be worked around using the above post or by installing Adobe Type Manager 4.1. I used this to install AwesomeFont 4.7 and after this coincidentally fixed the bars. I'm guessing this is down to it installing some required but not necessary files.

Can confirm, both methods work.

EDIT: Replaced my DLLs with the ones from my Win2000 KernelEx install, they don't seem to do any difference for me.

Edited by tyukok

- I compared layers DirectX mode with layers OpenGL mode on Firefox 45.

OpenGL:
user_pref("layers.acceleration.force-enabled", true);
user_pref("layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled", "true");
user_pref("layers.prefer-d3d9", false);
user_pref("layers.prefer-opengl", true);

I can't see anything to choose OpenGL, nothing speaks for it. There are some more ui glitches. D3D9 is the better choice.

- Icons on this board - FontAwesome:

The settings browser.display.use_document_fonts;1 and gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled;false in combination with entries (example) in prefs.js
user_pref("font.name-list.sans-serif.x-unicode", "Arial, Symbola, FontAwesome, Segoe UI Emoji, OpenSansEmoji, Microsoft Sans Serif");
user_pref("font.name-list.sans-serif.x-western", "Arial, Symbola, FontAwesome, Segoe UI Emoji, OpenSansEmoji, Microsoft Sans Serif");
user_pref("font.name-list.serif.x-unicode", "Tahoma, Symbola, FontAwesome, Segoe UI Emoji, OpenSansEmoji, Arial");
user_pref("font.name-list.serif.x-western", "Tahoma, Symbola, FontAwesome, Segoe UI Emoji, OpenSansEmoji, Arial");
are worth a try here. I can even see the "search magnifier" and the "Rate stars".
Font Awesome must be installed. Please check.

- RT's builds FF 45 - crash due to exception in XUL.dll: I tested older versions and just now it also happened on 45.9.17.
But I'm still waiting on it on 45.9.9.

Edited by schwups

A YT user (and MSFN forum reader) uploaded some movies about KernelEX/98SE/ME. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB52pssqm8lsRvQQMAFs6Dw/featured) Unfortunately, I don't understand the language - it's probably spanish. I'm surprised, the user seem to be able to run NewMoon 27. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o15zPq6RI. In a XPSP3 dll package he/she has ATL.dll (then probably ATL Module for Windows XP Unicode) and msdmo.dll (DMO Runtime DirectShow). I always use atl.dll of IE6SP1 (Ansi) in my system folder. Some time ago I had tested the ATL unicode, but I got annoying messages about the wrong version. I tried it again and set it to XPSP2 now. The messages are gone. She/he changed the msvcrt.dll. Fiddling with different msvcrt 6.1.8637.0/6.1.9848.0/7.0.9981.0 files has brought nothing here so far. This user could also be able to run Firefox 36 - 41.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, schwups said:

A YT user (and MSFN forum reader) uploaded some movies about KernelEX/98SE/ME. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB52pssqm8lsRvQQMAFs6Dw/featured)

Yep, It is Spanish

I recognize that link, that's my YouTube channel

Now, I need to admit that I rushed the video and it has a lot of issues.

One of my viewers had already told me that FF45 will work with any MSVCRT (6.1.8637.0/6.1.9848.0/7.0.9981.0), and it didn't work for me because I was using the Dependency Walker.

Some people also suggested various ways to solve the font issues;

-Disabling gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled (as you said earlier)
-Or installing the True Type fonts bundled with the Unofficial Service Pack 3.65

The issue of the last character in the search bar doesn't happen on Windows Millenium and I noticed that Windows Millenium uses Tahoma as the default font, so I decided to set all the fonts to Tahoma in Windows 98 (in the Appearance settings) and that seems to "fix" the issue:

331031240_Tahomawin98.png.0c941558abd9c0aab3212099f83fb6cb.png

I was also able to run K-Meleon 76 ( Javascript disabled ) and I almost got SeaMonkey 2.40 working (It shows a window, and then crashes immediately)

Now, don't get confused, at the end of that video I talked about the posibility of running more modern browsers on windows 98 similarly to Windows 2000 (and then I showed a clip of Windows 2000 with Blackwingcat's Extended Kernel running various browsers, including NewMoon)

Bear in mind that I have not made any video about Windows 98/ME running NewMoon at any time (and I really doubt it will work)

Also I been doing a little bit more testing and it seems that I can only get this to work when I use DLLs from Windows XP SP2 . I haven't had a lot of luck with Windows XP SP3 DLLs

Edited by supertuxisthebest
lots of typos

On 2/23/2021 at 5:21 AM, supertuxisthebest said:

The issue of the last character in the search bar doesn't happen on Windows Millenium and I noticed that Windows Millenium uses Tahoma as the default font, so I decided to set all the fonts to Tahoma in Windows 98 (in the Appearance settings) and that seems to "fix" the issue:

Yes, Tahoma is my default font, too. MS Sans Serif for Firefox menus is a bad choice. That's why I changed it many years ago. That's probably also the reason that "missing last character" in search bar never occurred here.

On 2/23/2021 at 5:21 AM, supertuxisthebest said:

I was also able to run K-Meleon 76 ( Javascript disabled ) and I almost got SeaMonkey 2.40 working (It shows a window, and then crashes immediately)

SeaMonkey 2.40 also crashes immediately here without "hardware acceleration".

I had massive JS problems with some versions of KM76 last year around April/ May/ June. It had crashed on almost all sites, so I was forced to turn it off for these versions, too. Although the problems were maybe often caused by myself, caused by testing and fiddling. These were always flawed, buggy profiles. Deleting the profile or prefs.js mostly solved the problem. The profile should be fresh and not mixed with other versions. It hasn't occurred since October at least.

Edited by schwups