KB4549951 18362.778 broke Aeroglass

By the way, if any of you don't know how to make 'TrustedInstaller' the owner of a file (or folder), type in 'NT SERVICE\TRUSTEDINSTALLER' (without the quotes) where/when it asks to input a user name for owner of file (or folder).

======================

The default owner of the DLL files which need to be replaced (dwmcore.dll + uDWM.dll) is TrustedInstaller, which is the reason for this post.  I like to set the owner back to TrustedInstaller after I grant myself read/write access and/or replace (or modify) these system DLL files.  Ergo, this post is for those of you who wish to change owner of, or, add read/write access to a file and/or folder using Windows Explorer to TrustedInstaller, yet, are unable to (because just typing 'TRUSTEDINSTALLER' in the input box won't work).

Edited by sbkw1983

On 6/3/2020 at 5:44 PM, sbkw1983 said:

By the way, if any of you don't know how to make 'TrustedInstaller' the owner of a file (or folder), type in 'NT SERVICE\TRUSTEDINSTALLER' (without the quotes) where/when it asks to input a user name for owner of file (or folder).

======================

The default owner of the DLL files which need to be replaced (dwmcore.dll + uDWM.dll) is TrustedInstaller, which is the reason for this post.  I like to set the owner back to TrustedInstaller after I grant myself read/write access and/or replace (or modify) these system DLL files.  Ergo, this post is for those of you who wish to change owner of, or, add read/write access to a file and/or folder using Windows Explorer to TrustedInstaller, yet, are unable to (because just typing 'TRUSTEDINSTALLER' in the input box won't work).

You can also use a program called RunAsTI which spawns a CMD with Trusted Installer rights, that way you can replace the files without changing the owner.

https://github.com/jschicht/RunAsTI

Hello guys.  Thanks for the workaround provided, but I am unable to get it to work.  I've tried RunAsTI and manually change the ownership of the two files to myself, but I can't copy the two .dll files over because it says they're in use.  I know that RunAsTi and the changing the ownership work because if I don't use that, I get a permission error instead of file in use error.  The files are in use by DWM.  I have not found a way to stop DWM as it keeps restarting if I End Process.  I've even tried in Safe Mode with Command Prompt only but DWM still runs in that mode.  How are you able to copy those .dll files over?   I can't find DWM in the services.msc to stop the auto restart (as per many Google search suggestions).

Edited by MikeRotch
Clarity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 10:56 PM, netguru said:

Just in case anyone else has the issue, those DLL's cannot be change because they are read-only to everyone except Trusted Installer, even administrators cannot change them.   I downloaded a program PowerRun, it allows you to run a file browser (I use Directory Opus) as Trusted Installer and then you can rename the files and/or replace them.  Make a restore point first just in case.

Thanks,

netguru

Can i get a more detailed explanation?

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 9:34 AM, JoppyFopFop said:

Thank you to @sbkw1983 and to @netguru, this worked for me as well.

I had to post thanks again, as even though I am still on 1909 (18363.1110), some update broke the fix above.  I reran the steps described (including the need for using PowerRun), and after reboot, my aeroglass is once again working.  Thank you both again for your posts!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 8:06 AM, Rottybops said:

Do not try and use this on 2004, it will softlock you on the Black Screen of death with the cursor! I'm still stuck on it.

Yes this happened on 2004 with mine too. A system recovery fixed this right up for me.

All v2004+ users can hope for is another patch of AeroGlass8+. Until then, there are other software's available, just not as good :-(

On 10/11/2020 at 5:02 PM, Azarino said:

All v2004+ users can hope for is another patch of AeroGlass8+. Until then, there are other software's available, just not as good :-(

Please provide us with the list of alternatives.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, arifkarim said:

Please provide us with the list of alternatives.

WindowsBlinds by Stardock. You have to pay, and it's not as fluid. You also have to find the themes you want yourself.

• 5 months later...