KB4549951 18362.778 broke Aeroglass

Hi, have been running build 18362.752 quite happily (1903). Updating to .778 I found I lost transparency completely, and Aeroglass appeared to crash (screen blinked 2-3 times).

I tried updating Aeroglass from Aeroglass 1903-1.5.12 to Aeroglass 1903-wrs-1.5.13, but still no joy.

I've returned to .752 for now. Can anyone confirm this experience? Thanks.

Thanks for the confirmation. I uninstalled the update and will wait for an update of Aeroglass- or maybe that will be after 20H1 now.

Not much in the way of issues reported after the update that I can find on tenforums.

Edited by dalchina

• 3 weeks later...

From a third-party Readme.txt file:

==========================================================

To get aeroglass working for WIndows 10 v1909 Build 18363.778 
Backup Windows just incase something goes wrong
Replace "dwmcore.dll" & "uDWM.dll" with those in to C:\Windows\System32
Run "winsdksetup.exe"
Select "Debugging Tools for Windows". Click "Download"
Install aeroglass
Run "AeroGlassUpdateSymbols.vbs"
Open Task Manager and end task "Desktop Window Manager" or restart Windows

Download this ZIP file fix -- https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixnyqPuOrWii59Yt1N8FpC4of-2jA?e=AfP05T

***EDIT: May work on later builds (CONFIRMED on Build 18363.815), but, obviously it's not guaranteed.  Furthermore, you attempt this fix at your own risk.  If you're not sure about it, then don't try it.  I have added a screenshot below showing compatibility with 18363.815, good day.

y4mmk5n1_2B4K7jATmC7Xw-UGbOVGJwOkbuOBSDf

Edited by sbkw1983

Just in case anyone else has the issue, those DLL's cannot be change because they are read-only to everyone except Trusted Installer, even administrators cannot change them.   I downloaded a program PowerRun, it allows you to run a file browser (I use Directory Opus) as Trusted Installer and then you can rename the files and/or replace them.  Make a restore point first just in case.

Thanks,

netguru

Hi, 

I had the same problem (dwm.exe crashed several times with 1 to 3 flickers of the screen) and tried the procedure

offered by sbkw1983.

It works fine. In the meantime I got a new build and it still works fine.

regards AlBandit

WinVer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 5:22 AM, David.P said:

Hi sbkw,

thanks for the instructions! BTW, which theme are you using as shown in your above screenshot?

My apology for the late response!

=======================================

1) I am using a custom reflection image + (obviously) a custom theme atlas + layout file.  The files can be downloaded here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixnyqPuOrWii6JqKbsVimXvxbP-TA?e=b15Zrp

2) Furthermore, to make the 'About Windows' (winver.exe) window entirely transparent, I am using 'BlackGlassEnhanced', which, is not unlike SetWindowCompositionAttribute with a convenient user interface on top.  It includes a readme.txt file, and can be downloaded here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixnyqPuOrWii6JoLgDJBTHD2YNr_w?e=x0YTUN

3) I recommend configuring the reflection image + theme atlas + layout file using AeroGlassGUI, which can be downloaded here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AixnyqPuOrWii6Jr6lnldeWW0Ssb7w?e=eHOt4s

=======================================

I'll be around to answer any questions you may have, good day!