Socket 775 windows 95

SharkVader66

Officially compatible/supported - no. However Windows 95 (OSR2.5 + FIX95CPU + XUSBSUPP) seems to run just fine on various Socket 775 boards. Your issue will be a lack of drivers for USB2 controllers, integrated HD Audio, and possibly integrated LAN depending on the chipset used. If you're prepared to use add-in cards instead of onboard, then you may bypass most of these issues. The unofficial NVidia drivers do work on 95, minus the control panels and such. These can be used with early PCI-E video cards, although extensive testing has not been done on the stability of such a setup.

• 1 month later...

I tried Windows 95 on a Asrock Conroe865PE (Intel 865PE chipset, ICH5 southbridge) with a Pentium E5700, Geforce FX 5600 AGP and 512 MB RAM. 

It was a bit rushed and was done before i discovered other stuff like XUSBSUPP or other drivers, i don't have the 95 install anymore, but considered retrying on it and/or another system someday, also had werid issues with 3dmark and the nvidia control panel didn't work when i tried forceware 81.98, 77.72 and 56.64

Video of the attempt

Realtek 8139 driver worked with the onboard Realtek 8100C, onboard audio (Realtek ALC850 @ Intel ICH5) worked as well, but had to edit the inf in Realtek AC97 driver package since Realtek decided to not support ICH5/6/7 and ATI/ALi/ULi/nVidia AC97 controllers in 95

Edited Realtek AC97 driver package (should support all the AC97 controllers as the Windows 98/ME/2000/XP WDM drviers do): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GMaDH8vQu1Tma7U-I59SQ-pTjjxKmkxz/view?usp=sharing65

Edited by Carlos S. M.

On 4/13/2020 at 1:05 AM, LoneCrusader said:

Officially compatible/supported - no. However Windows 95 (OSR2.5 + FIX95CPU + XUSBSUPP) seems to run just fine on various Socket 775 boards. Your issue will be a lack of drivers for USB2 controllers, integrated HD Audio, and possibly integrated LAN depending on the chipset used. If you're prepared to use add-in cards instead of onboard, then you may bypass most of these issues. The unofficial NVidia drivers do work on 95, minus the control panels and such. These can be used with early PCI-E video cards, although extensive testing has not been done on the stability of such a setup.

when you say the unofficial nvidia drivers do work on 95, are you talking about the 82.69 version? and does geforce 7 series also work on windows 95? i noticed that rloew's patch supports nvidia 82.69 on windows 95 for allowing 512 MB cards to be supported and work properly, but i was thinking that it would only apply for geforce 6 series that had 512 MB of video memory, but not for 7 series with 512 MB of video memory? the control panel not working is probably trivial imo, so as long as the driver of the gpu works. 

• 1 month later...